Yarn to ball - or foam/laytex pebbles?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 11/09/11 02:23 PM

I'd like to pull a thread from my sweater or a knit bag and have it become a yarn ball- much like the old silk to billiard but scaled down to closup.

On the other side - I'd like to get some laytex stone/pebbles cast to match some identical yet actual rock(like) items.

not that I know which approach will ultimately pan out as the more useful for audiences but it's time to get with the cups trick again.

Alciphron or charmed wool - there's magic to do.

Suggestions?

Jon

PS - yes - after that comes the magnets, the bottomless cup for the wallnuts moment and the balls restoring into the bag for the final load.

@James Riser: Yes to the Ramsay Metal cups though I suggest adding lids. Please. Sample containers for something special? Been discussing a rattle gimmick on that with folks for a few years. That and the chop feature. Remember, Ramsay was out to fool his peers ;)
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Tom Stone » 11/09/11 03:07 PM

Jonathan Townsend wrote:I'd like to pull a thread from my sweater or a knit bag and have it become a yarn ball...

Possible solution. Steal the ball from the bag and palm it, as you notice a loose thread.
This thread is anchored inside a reel, hidden inside the bag.
Gather up the thread, which brings the hand closer to the bag. Pretend to yank the thread off, but instead the reel pulls it from the hand into the bag. Work the supposed thread with the fingers, and then show the palmed ball.

On the other side - I'd like to get some laytex stone/pebbles cast to match some identical yet actual rock(like) items.

I'm not sure, but I think it is easier to paint both the latex replica *and* the actual stone to look identical - than to make a perfect latex replica.
Tom Stone

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 11/09/11 08:28 PM

Tom, if you explore using the props - the issue with the former is getting that silk type effect (think spaghetti slurp into meatball) and with the latter - both solid and quiet items would be made using the same mold - the issue of duplicate props.
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Tom Stone » 11/09/11 10:55 PM

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Tom, if you explore using the props - the issue with the former is getting that silk type effect (think spaghetti slurp into meatball) and with the latter - both solid and quiet items would be made using the same mold - the issue of duplicate props.

Ah, I assumed any transformation would work. You meant those mechanical balls that pull the silk inside?
Also, I assumed that you would make a mold from an actual pebble/stone/solid.

Too many assumptions on my part. I'll wait until I better understand exactly what you want.
Tom Stone

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 11/10/11 08:37 AM

Tom -it's much quicker to explore than to await text. Think of the benson bowl routine where they think you are using pebbles instead of red sponge balls. That's the key to the routine reported by Alciphron. Simple conservation of matter (or material) is the key to the other approach.
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Return to Close-Up Magic