Leaves From J. N. Hilliard's Notebook?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Tom Frame » 10/06/11 02:17 PM

A non-magician friend of mine showed me a booklet that she found in an old trunk. It is Leaves From J. N. Hilliards Notebook, published in 1935 by Floyd Thayer. Its a 47 page, 6 x 9, soft-back booklet, folded, with three staples in the spine. The tan-colored cover features a Nelson Hahne drawing of Hilliard. Hahne also provided 7 illustrations.

The booklet is in good condition. There is a $2.00 adhesive price tag in the upper right corner of the first (blank) page and a $1.00 price tag in the upper right corner of the title page.

In the Foreword, Thayer states that Hilliard initially contributed these articles (titled Leaves From My Notebook) to his magazine The Magical Bulletin from June, 1924 to May, 1925. After Hilliards death, Thayer compiled them and published them as this booklet.

After an Introduction by Hilliard, the booklet features the The Triple Mystery, The Chinese Rings, The Quick or the Dead and Roll Your Own.

My friend is willing to sell the booklet. I wasnt previously familiar with it and I have no idea what it is worth. Can someone please tell me if this book is rare and give me a rough estimate of its value?

Thanks.
Tom Frame

Postby Dustin Stinett » 10/06/11 02:35 PM

Tom,

They are not particularly "rare." The value, depending on condition, is $20 to $25.

Dustin
Dustin Stinett

Postby Tom Frame » 10/06/11 03:37 PM

Thanks Dustin!
Tom Frame

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes