S,W.E shift -help.

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Guest » 08/17/05 06:26 AM

Does it make any difference if you execute the shift with the nail against the underneath of the deck or do you have to use the part of the finger between the first and second joints of the left forefinger.

Thankyou for your help.

Postby John Bodine » 08/18/05 05:39 PM

I would add that it is my belief that the original top packet should move backward and then under the original bottom half. The right hand should not move at all during the shift. At least that's my interpretation and as I understand it, this will make the shift much more deceptive.

Howie Schwartzman (I checked my spelling on this) does the move quite nicely, as does Chris Kenner.

johnbodine
John Bodine

Postby Rafael Benatar » 08/19/05 01:15 AM

Howie Schwartzman (I checked my spelling on this) e [/QB]
Should be Schwarzman, check again :)
Rafael Benatar

Postby David Acer » 08/19/05 09:44 AM

Chris Kenner also published a faux S.W.E. shift in which an outjogged card near the bottom of the deck rises to the top by jumping up ten or twelve cards at a time. The illusion is beautiful, and it's considerably easier to master than the real S.W.E. shift (though of course the technique is only designed to emulate the latter, not replace it). You can find it in Gary Ouellet's highly entertaining book, The Pass , along with Brett Wolf's ingenious handling for the last jump, in which the outjogged card appears to just melt up through the last few cards and come to rest on top of the deck.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer
David Acer

Postby Joe Pecore » 08/19/05 11:22 AM

If you like Chris Kenner's faux S.W.E. shift routine, also check out Aaron Fisher's "Ambitious Graduate" which is a similar but uses a real shift. (published in Genii December 2002).
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.
Joe Pecore

Return to Close-Up Magic