Broken Wand - Gianni Pasqua "Roxy"

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Marco Pusterla » 07/24/11 03:55 PM

It is with much sadness that I have to report to the Magic community the passing in Turin, Italy, of Gianni Pasqua, "Roxy", the noted magic antiquarian and historian.

After a career as a card expert and technician, with a number of lectures around Europe in the 1970's and '80, Gianni Pasqua started a business of magic antiquarian, specializing in rare magic books, mainly from Italy. His activity was well known to all magic collectors around the world and he made many friends both sides of the Atlantic.

In the past few years, Gianni presented a number of lectures on magic history at various magic conventions, in both Europe and the USA: I'm sure some of you may have seen him lecture at Collectors' conventions over there.

Some years ago, Gianni was victim of a stroke from which he recovered well, but not completely. According to doctors, "it was a miracle" he survived his stroke. Unfortunately, the grim reaper caught up with him and left the Magic World much poorer.

Gianni leaves a wife, Stefania, whom he adored. If you want to send a sympathy message, please email info@mirabiliabooks.com.

I apologize for any spelling/grammar mistake in this post: my eyes are filled with tears and I can't think straight.

R.I.P. Gianni
Marco Pusterla - http://www.mpmagic.com

Paradise Lost out now - Christian Chelman's latest effect!
Marco Pusterla

Postby Richard Hatch » 07/24/11 06:04 PM

Thanks for letting us know. Roxy was a fixture at Magic Collecting and history conferences and will be missed.
Richard Hatch

Postby Harry Lorayne » 07/24/11 06:51 PM

Roxy was my host when I lectured in Turin so many decades ago. We became pretty close. After that we never saw each other again, but corresponded through the years. I'm quite upset at the moment, I feel a great loss.
Harry Lorayne

Postby magicam » 07/24/11 11:32 PM

Marco, this is indeed a shock. Roxy and I shared several interests along historical lines, and helped each other with research from time to time. He was always generous with his knowledge and research with me. You will be missed my friend, and my condolences to Stefania and the rest of Gianni's family.
magicam

Postby Daved » 07/25/11 04:23 AM

In Italy Gianni was also well known for his generosity and availability. He was always willing to widespread new discoveries in order that they won't get lost or forgotten.

We will miss him.
Dave
Daved

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » 07/25/11 05:43 PM

Roxy was inspirited by the literature of magic and all things old and new. He seemed to be the epicenter or at least he stood (tall) at the epicenter of the magic world of Turin. The place there were magicians lectured was like a "warm embrace." When I was there, he was a wonderful and generous host. Indeed, his passing is a loss to all magicians. I'm deeply saddened. Rest in peace, dear soul...
Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Richard Kaufman » 07/25/11 07:55 PM

I always found him to be genial and informative behind his dealer table filled with rare antiquarian titles.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Stepanov » 08/28/11 02:52 PM

Long time I did not be here.

Roxy was very much kind man. Like tourist he come to Russia and we must meet with him because he should give me one old Italian book. But he was so busy and because some technical problems we made solution he goes back to Italy and send book and DVD by mail. Time after his wife (Roxy has problems with eyes) wrote me that she send book. Unfortunately, when I got package past more than month. I wrote to Stephania and ask say to Roxy thanks. But she wrote he died two days after she send me book...

His MPA Bulletin was interesting and documents about Bosco and Pinetti what he shared with me was wonderful.
Stepanov

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes