Runic Nines

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Guest » 10/25/03 05:20 AM

On the 5th disc of the Bro John Hamman DVD set, there is an effect title the "Runic Nines." There is no explanation following the performance. Am I missing something? Is this published elsewhere?

Postby Richard Kaufman » 10/25/03 06:44 PM

Paul, The Runic Nines was Brother John's attempt to duplicate the effect of The Final Aces by using ordinary cards--not double ended cards. He relied upon an idea he used in "The What and Where Tests," where an upside down Six appears to be a Nine. I found it to be unconvincing over the course of a long routine like Runic Nines, and so did not videotape the explanation. It has not appeared in print.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 10/26/03 04:42 AM

Thank you, Richard. I wondered if your focusing in on the nine in the face up fan in the third display phase was pointing out a flaw in the routine or a mistake in the performance. I like the basic concept but thought upon watching it the first time through that the final phase was slightly anti-climactic after the third phase. Maybe changing around some of the displays would make it more practical. Think I'll play around with it some--I already have some ideas.

Thanks for making these recordings available.
It's almost like being there.

My apologies for starting a topic on a question which has apparently already been asked. I did not search properly so I did not find the other threads before posting this.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 10/26/03 11:41 AM

Paul, you are not the first person to ask this question, and you will not be the last. Had I known that Brother Hamman would never make any other videos, I would have recorded the method just for posterity. However, on that day, I was just tired and wanted to waste as little time as possible.
The best use of the upside-down index principle is really a trick of Ed Marlo's in one of the Marlo Magazines where he displays a fan of low Diamond cards, using the Nine in the fan in place of the Six. The Six then vanishes from the fan (easy--it was never there) and reappears elsewhere (even easier--it was always there). The Marlo use, where the upside-down Nine pip is in a fan between the Five and Seven makes it blow by like a charm. Hamman was really just trying to take the principle farther than it could really go.
That said, if someone wants to watch the DVD and dope out the method, then post it here, I don't think any of us would mind! :)
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 10/26/03 03:55 PM

I'll accept the challenge. For those interested, here's the "dope" :

Runic Nines

Set up:

Remove the four 9s from the deck. Set up from the top of the deck: 6, followed by three indifferent cards, another 6, three indifferent cards, a 6, and three more indifferent cards to complete the twelve which will be used. Avoid including the remaining 6 in the set up. Determine which 9 you will use as the face 9 and omit the 6 of that suit from your set up.

Shorthand:

-For the sake of space, I'll summarize certain elements here. Each phase starts with an inverted T-formation (three cards in a row in front of the performer with the fourth card placed above the center card, away from the performer, forming an upside down T from the performer's perspective). Bro. John calls this Tau (Greek letter T).

-When dealing, always begin on the outer 9, dealing one card at a time on each packet (clockwise or counter-clockwise does not matter).

-What I'll call the 9666-Runes display is a nine at the face with three sixes on top, spread longitudinally such that the when held facing the spectator the lower indices of the sixes look like nines. The lower index corner of the true 9 is covered by the finger tip. This should only be displayed briefly.

-The 9999-Runes display is similar to the 9666 in appearance but the face card is lowest in the spread and the top indices of the 9s show.

Method:

Begin with the four 9s face up on the table. Count twelve cards from the top of the deck, displaying each, without reversing their order. Do not call attention to the values.

Phase I:

Turn the 9s face down (be sure the 9 which does not match the suit of one of the 6s in use is at the bottom). Spread them in the Runes formation to establish its appearance then slide the top three 9s into position to form the inverted-T. Deal out the twelve card packet onto the 9s.

Starting at either your left or right, stack the three packets nearest you on top of each other face down. Remove the top card and flick the edge (signifying the moment one 9 changes places with one of the indifferent cards on the tabled packet). Place this card on the bottom of the packet and repeat two more times.

Fan the cards face up and place the fan on the table, stating that the 9s have gone. (The exposed index of each nine should look like a 6 to the spectators at a glance, but this is the first risky display.) Pick up the "9" packet and spread it into the 9666-Runes formation while face down then display the faces to the audience.

Place the 9-packet face down on the table and re-arrange the cards into the inverted-T formation.

Phase II:

Close the fan and turn the cards face down. (Position check--a nine should be on top of the packet.) Deal out the twelve cards again.

Pick up the left-hand packet. Move the top card to the bottom. Make a magic gesture then turn the cards face up on the table one at a time, showing the 9 has gone. Repeat this with the other two packets, dealing them all into one pile. Display the 9-packet in the 9999-Runes formation. (These can be laid on the table face up and fully displayed before turning them face down again if desired.)

Turn the 9s face down and reset the inverted-T formation.

Phase III:

With the twelve card packet face down, move two cards from the top to the bottom then deal out the packet onto the 9s.

Pick up the left-hand packet. Elmsley count the packet, retaining the final card separate from the other three. Turn the three cards face up, fanning them and placing the face down card on top of the fan. Set the fan on the table asking a spectator to keep an eye on the 9 (peek at the "9" at some point in here and specify the suit, which should be different from the suit of the real face up 9 in the fan which is supposed to appear as a 6--another very risky display). Repeat this with the other two packets. One at a time, snap the face down "9"s over, showing they've become indifferent cards. Display the 9-packet in the 9666-Runes formation.

Turn the 9666-Runes formation face down. Gather the remaining face up packets one on top of the other then turn the combined packet face down.

Phase IV:

Reset the inverted-T formation and deal out the twelve card packet.

Gather the three packets face down, one on top of the next. Remove the top card, flicking the side, then deal the cards face up on the table one at a time in a row, showing that the 9s are gone again. Turn over the 9 packet, showing that they've once again gathered in one packet.

=====

That is the routine pretty much as performed on the DVD by Brother John. Pardon my clunky explanation, but I think anyone watching the performance on the DVD could reconstruct the effect with this information as a guide. I trust this is permissable here, based on Mr. Kaufman's statement. If not, feel free to remove it (or to make any corrections as warranted).

I've worked out a slightly different handling for myself that eliminates some of the extended 9-as-6 displays, but I wouldn't dare say I've made improvements.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 10/26/03 05:48 PM

Thanks, Paul, I think it's great that you've written it up.
Brother Hamman would have been pleased. He didn't like to see his children get "lost."
Richard Kaufman

Return to Close-Up Magic