Plots, Spells & Typos by Tom Stone

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

Postby Tom Stone » 08/06/07 08:34 AM

I've just finished yet another small ebook: "Plots, Spells & Typos", which contains a mix of odd ideas for stage and close-up.
For those who are interested: http://shop.tomstone.se
Tom Stone

Postby pduffie » 08/06/07 09:42 AM

I haven't spotted the typos yet, but anyone remotely interested in plots & devious methodology should check this out.

For example; "Channeling Holmes" takes Ed Mellon's "Quantimental"in such a direction that I am sure it would fool anyone who knows the original. For the illusionist there is a fascinating idea that combines the Alan Wakeling Sawing through with the Jarret method. The card guys will have fun playing with "Nosejob"! And my personal favourite, "Of Dice and Men"; a stand-up routine based on Andy Nyman's "Dice Man" but employing a different method and a great new presentation. There's also a cut & restored cable that is attached to a lit lamp - a brief notion about a cut & restored tie, and a humorous idea with a bottle, a padlock and a key. Excellent illustrations, as always from Tom. A superb read!

Peter
pduffie

Postby Tom Stone » 08/07/07 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Peter Duffie:
The card guys will have fun playing with "Nosejob"!
I've just heard that "Nosejob" apparantly is a bit similar to a Larry Jennings item. I'll try to find out more. Any input is welcome.
Tom Stone

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/07/07 08:44 AM

The idea of shoving the cards inward with your left first finger for the Houdini (who published it twice before Erdnase repeated it) color change comes from Jennings '67.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Tom Stone » 08/07/07 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
comes from Jennings '67.
Ah, pity. I have not read the Jennings '67 book. Are there any merit with what I published, or is it an exact duplication of the Jennings item?
Tom Stone

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/07/07 01:16 PM

I haven't read the whole piece yet--just the change.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Matthew Field » 08/08/07 03:12 AM

Tom's idea of using the version of the Erdnase (Houdini) change for continuous color changes is interesting. Harvey Rosenthal has also done substantial work on this sleight.

I found Tom's new booklet very interesting. Much of the material reminds me of the work of another magician, one whom I miss very much -- Tommy Wonder.

Tom relates that his trick "Of Dice and Men" had its genesis in the final image he desired. The magician gets a hug after a spectator rolls a die to choose one card from six, which has "Hug" written on it. As he's getting his hug, he "accidently" reveals the backs of the other cards in a stand, which all read "Kill." The concept and Tom's excellent illustrations are fabulous.

Some of the material consists of concepts from Tom's notebooks, but they are not just food for thought; they are a feast.

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Postby Tom Stone » 10/16/08 09:35 PM

Practice clip of "Nosejob":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4JR7g5nJbs
Tom Stone

Return to Light From the Lamp