ATFUS off a face up pack - Using a dupe

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 05/25/11 03:47 PM

Hi folks,

Is there a precedent/citation for doing a "Biddle" grip display switch (ATFUS) off the face of the deck using a duplicate card so you get a clean display of the entire or partial face card of the pack all the way through up to the moment you do a final squareup as you bring the counted packet forward?

thanks in advance,

Jon

PS, similar question for using a dupe in the Finley type tent vanish/switch situation. For the vanish, do a one handed top palm as you pull up sleeves then reach for the card or packet to go - bring over to face up pack - cover for an instant deposit what's to be left. ;)
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 05/26/11 11:36 AM

Since I'm tipping my hand here big time on material - may as well ask about one more* item.

Is there a citation on using a double faced card in the tent vanish where you show the non-dupe face and mime palming/taking the card while actually letting the gaff fall over onto the packet in hand?

Again, thanks in advance,

Jon

*Way back when Tannen's introduced the Garcia Hundred Dollar Ace Trick, a version of the Vernon handling of the Hofzinser Power of Faith- and the tent vanish was a hot topic - it occured to use the gaffs as method for a straight up vanish of one of the aces. This was my first shot at doing the asembly where the cards vanished rather than changed.
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/26/11 12:05 PM

I took a quick look through AskAlexander and didn't see anything with regards to the Face up ATFUS using a dupe (which is a very cool idea :)

I'm guessing you could even get by with use a non-dupe if the cards were similar (e.g. 8D/8H)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.
Joe Pecore

Postby Kent Gunn » 05/27/11 01:35 PM

http://archive.denisbehr.de/archive/res ... &keyword=1

That's where I'd go to start looking, Jon. But you already knew to do that.

KG
Kent Gunn

Postby Denis Behr » 05/28/11 07:16 AM

Here's the direct link to the ATFUS & variations - category.

(BTW, in some time old links might not work anymore, since I'm rewriting some of the PHP/MySQL backend...)
Denis Behr

Postby Richard Kaufman » 05/28/11 11:41 AM

I would just like to remind everyone again (because I can, and because I like to) that the so-called "ATFUS" sleight is actually Marlo's slight improvement of an original sleight by Alex Elmsley published years before Marlo's ATFUS hit print. Elmsley used natural breaks and Marlo made the sleight more certain by using finger breaks. Of course Marlo never mentioned Elmsley's name any time he published ATFUS.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Magic Fred » 05/28/11 11:48 AM

Was Marlo a Thief?
Magic Fred

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/28/11 01:16 PM

You can read a bit more about the history of ATFUS here: http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/ATFUS
Joe Pecore

Postby Edwin Corrie » 05/28/11 02:12 PM

Joe Pecore wrote:You can read a bit more about the history of ATFUS here: http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/ATFUS

Good link, Joe, lots of useful information there. I also checked the new Illusion Wiki to see if it had anything else to add but strangely enough it doesn't seem to have anything on ATFUS.

If I've read it correctly, what Jonathan describes might be quite close to Jay Sankey's Bluff Tent Vanish in "Sankey Unleashed", which uses duplicates (two jokers) but no double facer. Tyler Wilson has a face-up Tent Vanish in "Dominatricks", and Jack Parker had another handling in Genii a few years ago (as well as his "No Fuss Switch" (ATFUS variation)), but they aren't really the same thing.
Edwin Corrie

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/28/11 02:38 PM

I'd stay away from that other wiki. :)

Thanks for the Parker reference. I found it in http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Genii_2006_June and added to the AFTUS page.
Joe Pecore

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 05/28/11 02:55 PM

Thanks Edwin,

The ATFUS using a dupe is to cover the face card at the pack during the dirty work.

The dupe in the Tent/Finley vanish/switch is so you can show the face of the pack before and after the work happens - ie you drop what you don't want onto the face of the pack along with the duplicate so all seems as it was.

Using a DF card is a more brazen thing about showing the face of a card in palm during what looks like you are sliding a card into palm and taking the card away.

Does Biddle get the credit for the card grip? or Veeser? (overhand grip thumb at the back with the packet held at about fourty five degrees so you have some leeway with packet thickness discrepancies along the way. The drop/unload is Biddle's or (per Phillipe's finding another guy's?)

@Joe - thanks for the clips on that page. The first Bannon trick looks like fun.

here's the mcd aces idea as far as i got: one pretends to palm a face up ace, shows the face of the ace in palm to the audience and then lets the gaff flop over onto the packet before moving that hand away from the packet during patter about card cheats palming cards to do get cards where they want - which is a good moment to get the volunteer to keep their hand on the selected ace packet. You then remind them you aren't a card cheat but a magician and after suitable gestures show an empty hand ... :) Probably symptomatic of trying to do card tricks that look like coin magic.
Jonathan Townsend

Return to Close-Up Magic