Will Houstoun Chicago Area Lecture Monday April 25!

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
Tom Dobrowolski

Will Houstoun Chicago Area Lecture Monday April 25!

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » April 19th, 2011, 11:39 am

Monday April 25 Midwest Magic is Proud to present:
Will Houstoun
https://midwestmagic.net/shop/custom.asp?recid=3
Having received positive feedback for his "Thaumaturgy" lecture Will created a brand new lecture that he toured the United States with after a successful launch at The Magic Circle. The Lecture is called "Out With the New, In With the Old" and is a reaction to the tendency within the magic community to focus on the "latest and greatest". In the lecture Will looks backwards to previously unpublished material from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries for inspiration to create effects that are as powerful today as any modern creation.
The material, that will all be fully explained, includes magic with cards, coins and other objects and is suitable for both close up and parlor performance. Some of the material is taken directly from Wills books based on previously unpublished eighteenth and nineteenth century notebooks and some is inspired by theses notebooks. Will will also teach a few modern creations including some of the material he used as a Headline Performer at The Magic Castle.

Will has received numerous positive reviews for his performances, publications and lectures including:

Lecture: "I booked Will on his first US lecture tour and also at the LVMI close-up convention and I was blown away with all the great comments I received from clubs all over America. Will is a thoughtful, talented and accomplished magician and you will definitely benefit from seeing his lecture." - Danny Archer (US lecture tour organizer and LVMI organizer)

Just wanted to let you know that Will's lecture this evening at the BMS was a great success, and everyone at the meeting was very impressed not only by his technical skill, which is formidable, but also by his ability as a lecturer to present his material in a lucid and entertaining manner. He's also a really nice guy! - Pat Cross (From the British Magic Society)

Freak DVD: The freakiest looking thing I have seen in the last few years makes the twisting arm look tame!--Nick Einhorn.

"Your bending finger trick made me cringe... In a good way. Superb!"--Wayne Dobson

"I twisted my finger for a mixed audience of laymen and magicians. It got the exact response I wanted. Enjoyment, and revulsion mixed together."--Ray Kosby.

A physical impossibility made possible. My eyes popped just seeing it!--Chris Capehart.

One of the coolest things I saw at F.F.F.F. this year was Will Houstoun's FREAK...Very cool trick...it will definitely F.F.F.F.REAK you out!--Cody S Fisher

The Notebook: "All in all, this well produced volume is a great adventure into the history of card magic and, when you are interested in the development of magic with playing cards, this book is a treasure trove that is a joy to study." - Denis Behr, Magie.

"Will has done a fine job, and I think serious students of card magic as well as magic historians and collectors will find much of interest in this volume."--Matthew Field

"Card-trick aficionados and magic historians will be grateful that Will Houstoun has unearthed and published this centuries-old curiosity. Houstoun has done historians and card-magic lovers a great service by publishing The Notebook..."--Gabe Fajuri, Magic Magazine.

"The entire project is a treat - an inexpensive adventure in time travel for any reader with some imagination and a passion for card magic and, perhaps, an interest in its history. Climbing into its pages, we get to spend some time enjoying our shared passion with another enthusiast, who, far more like us than different, happened to be doing his tricks a couple of hundred years ago. If that isn't magic, I don't know what is."--Jamy Ian Swiss.

Wills talk was a terrific detective story on a subject dear to many magicians hearts.--Dustin Stinett, Genii Magazine.

Tickets are $20 and seating by order of registration, so call (847) 455-4288 Midwest Magic today!
(847) 455-4288!

Midwest Magic, 9706 Franklin Av., Franklin Park, Illinois

Tom Dobrowolski

Re: Will Houstoun Chicago Area Lecture Monday April 25!

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » April 22nd, 2011, 11:40 am

Remember it's this coming Monday April 25. Stop in or call and make your reservation today!!

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » April 24th, 2011, 9:55 pm

It's tomorrow...see you there

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » April 26th, 2011, 2:43 pm

It was great! This was the first Midwest Magic lecture I've attended and I'm really glad I went. If Will is coming to your town, make the effort to see him. Such a treat to learn from someone such respect for our art's distant past.

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » April 27th, 2011, 5:33 pm

I agree, it was great. The appeal of the subject wasn't universal (this lecture was actually part lecture!), but I'm so glad that there are Will Houstouns in this world, people who are willing to devote real energy to diving into older texts, mining them for valuable information. It was really impressive.

Midwest Magic is a great place to see lectures. Magic Inc. is great too, but Midwest Magic has a great informal space (as well as an amazingly comprehensive inventory).

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”