Magic Bibliographies

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Marvin G. » 04/16/11 10:40 AM

Hi,

I hope this is the right category to post this question. I'm interested in studying about old magic books and found a list in the Magicpedia. Here's the list:

Henry R. Evans, Bibliography of Natural Magic and Prestidigitation (1897)

H. J. Burlingame, Bibliotecha Magica contained within "Tricks in Magic, Illusions and Mental Phenomena, Vol. III" (1898)

Johann George Graesse Bibliotecha Magica et Pneumatica
A facsimile of the original edition published in Leipzig by W. Englemann, 1843, listing more than 3000 published items on magic

Ellis Stanyon, A Bibliography of Conjuring and Kindred Arts (1899)

Sidney W. Clarke and Adolphe Blind, The Bibliography of Conjuring and Kindred Deceptions (1920)

Harry Price, Short Title Catalogue of Works on Psychical Research, Spiritualism, Magic (1929)

James B. Findlay, Scottish Conjuring Bibliography (1951)

Victor Farelli, Magical Bibliographies; A Guide (1953)

Trevor H. Hall, A Bibliography of Books on Conjuring in English from 1580 to 1850 (1957)

Edgar Heyl, A Contribution to Conjuring Bibliography, English Language 1580-1850 (1963)
Heyl intended in this bibliography to record all conjuring books not described in Hall's Bilbiography of Books on Conjuring in English from 1580-1850. He resurveyed all the conjuring bibliographies available including visits to the Library of Congress, the Peabody Library and the Enoch Pratt Free Library.

Raymond Tool Stott, A Bibliography of English Conjuring 1581-1876 (1976)

Raymond Tool Stott, A Bibliography of English Conjuring Volume Two 1569-1876 (1976)

James B Alfredson and George L Daily , Bibliography of Conjuring Periodicals in English 1791-1983 (1986).
contains over 7,500 entries of Magic Periodicals in the English language

Stephen A. Fernandes, Magic Magazines of the Second Millennium: A Bibliography of English-language Conjuring Periodicals, August 1791- January 2000 (2000)
2,000 more titles of Magic Periodicals.

I have the Raymond Toole Stott books, but was wondering if someone could give me some advice on which books I should get next? Or if any of them I shouldn't get (for whatever reason, if you could advice that'd be much appreciated too) Sorry, but I'm new to all of this!
Marvin G.

Postby Philippe Billot » 04/16/11 12:03 PM

MagicPedia is part of Genii.
It's not necessary to copy the articles. A link is sufficient.
All bibliographies are useful.
Philippe Billot

Postby Edwin Corrie » 04/16/11 02:41 PM

Trevor Hall's bibliography is readily available via Amazon and other online stores, but if you don't mind having it on CD you can get that and many more (including some of the above) from The Miracle Factory:

http://miraclefactory.net/zenstore/inde ... cPath=2_34

As well as the CD on bibilographies there's one called Early Magic, which has PDFs of a lot of the old books like Scot, Rid and Hocus Pocus Junior. Also one on Pinetti, one on Robert-Houdin, and plenty more containing important historical works.
Edwin Corrie

Postby Bill Mullins » 04/16/11 07:02 PM

You may also want to consider joining the Conjuring Arts Research Center HERE. Members get access to a number of digitized works, including a number of the bibliographies you mention. (I don't know which level provides access to the bibliographies; you probably should check with them).

Also, older works are coming online all the time. Stanyon's bibliography was originally serialized in his magazine Magic, which is available in Google Books.
Bill Mullins

Postby Marvin G. » 04/17/11 08:33 AM

Thanks alot for your help guys!
Marvin G.

Postby magicam » 04/17/11 08:52 PM

Marvin, Edwin and Bill have both offered great tips for you. And although I'd agree with Philippe about the usefulness of all bibliographies, some are definitely more useful than others, which I think was part of the point of your original query. For example, assuming my memory is accurate, if you have the 1897 Evans bibliography, then you don't need the 1898 Burlingame bibliography (or vice versa), because the two checklists are virtually identical.

If you really plan on doing extensive or very focused research, then you'll want to seriously consider joining CARC, for the reasons Bill explained. I haven't done any research in CARC's database, but I've heard nothing but praise for it. And if you don't need printed versions of the bibliographies, then like Edwin suggested, you'll definitely want to purchase the CD offered by The Miracle Factory. It's a tremendous value for the money.

Finally, if you are only interested in books and monographs, then you won't need to buy the Alfredson/Daily and Fernandes publications, because those checklists relate solely to conjuring periodicals.
magicam

Postby Marvin G. » 04/17/11 09:03 PM

Thank you! I've lookd at both sites and am very intereted. Marvin
Marvin G.

Postby Daniel Bain » 04/17/11 11:44 PM

You may also want to consider joining the Magic Collector's Association- http://www.magicana.com/mca/
Daniel Bain

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes