Paul Stone & The Unique Magic Collection

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

Postby Robert Kane » 01/29/06 11:13 AM

I was surprised to see the recent reviews of Paul Stone's Unique Magic Collection in the January and February issues of Genii. The products look great and I am sure they are, but USA sales rights remain unresolved.

Paul Stone gave exclusive USA sales rights to Stevens Magic Emporium in 1982. After a couple of years, Paul left the business and left Stevens Magic to find a way to produce and sell the Ken Brooke Range. For 20+ years, Stevens Magic perpetuated and promoted the good name of Ken Brooke and his fine products without the help of Paul Stone.

Paul Stone comes back into the business and does not honor his exclusive American sales rights agreement with Steven Magic.

Joe Stevens and Stevens Magic Emporium have done a lot to support magic and they deserve a better shake, especially from Genii Magazine which normally is very focused on proper crediting and the honorable manufacture of magic products.

Genii Magazine would have done better to ferret this issue out a bit more before featuring 2 pages of glowing reviews of the Unique Magic Collection in the January issue and a full page ad as well as a product plug in the Genii Speaks section of the February issue.
Robert Kane

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/29/06 02:24 PM

We do not adjudicate legal issues.
If Joe Stevens has an issue with what Paul Stone is doing, then he has to deal with Paul Stone regarding it.
Unless you're an attorney with an intricate knowledge of the legal aspects of the specific agreements and contracts in THIS case (and that means you've read the contracts), then I suggest you leave the decisions to those who are.
And if you are a legal expert who has been retained by Joe Stevens, and have read his contract, then you know that it is probably not enforceable because it doesn't specify a term for the rights.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Robert Kane » 01/29/06 05:42 PM

What about being a concerned publisher and backing up a man who has been good to magic?

and

What about checking out a possible conflict with an important new product (when you know there is one) before going to press?

Perhaps Genii could have published its findings along with its positive reviews.
Robert Kane

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/29/06 07:27 PM

As I wrote, I don't adjudicate. That's not my job, and it's not Genii's job. It has nothing to do with "backing" either party. There are no "findings" to be published unless a judge in a court of law declares so.
It's a legal matter to be decided by the parties involved and their lawyers.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 02/17/06 04:33 PM

Living in Wichita, and doing consulting work for Joe, I can give some insight on this. Joe and Paul have "hashed" this out, and Joe is preparing to carry these new items.

Bob Phillips

Return to Light From the Lamp