New Lorayne Videos

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

Postby Matthew Field » 05/07/02 11:04 AM

I just got a mailing from Harry Lorayne announcing the final three volumes of his L&L videos, Vols. 8, 9 and 10.

There's no doubt that Harry is a great performer, and perhaps these volumes are better than the first 7. The last video contains a performance of his famous memory demonstration.

Also announced is the final collected volume of Apocalypse.

Matthew Field :genii:
Matthew Field

Postby Guest » 05/07/02 02:37 PM

PERHAPS they are better. But maybe not, as they were all filmed at the same time. Let's not forget to mention that THE CARD CLASSCIS OF KEN KRENZEL is being reprinted. And that Harry's first two vidoes are being combined onto one dvd or vhs tape for about $30.00. He is also claiming that fewer than 100 copies of PERSONAL COLLECTION remain!

Postby sleightly » 05/08/02 03:23 AM

I'm not surprised that Harry has sold most of the run of Personal Collection (perhaps mildly that it took this long). Harry has a large fan base, and the material in the book is generally strong (although reflecting Harry's taste in magic). From what I understand, many people bought more than one copy as an investment, expecting to sell tham on eBay down the road for big bucks!

As for the other material, I'll be curious to see how the "new" videos do, am curious about the earlier videos on one DVD. It would be nice if L&L made compilation DVDs the standard and offer single volume VHSs for people who only want single volumes (my magic DVD shelf is already groaning, and I have yet to watch more than half a dozen)...

ajp
sleightly

Postby CHRIS » 05/08/02 04:08 AM

Even nicer would be if L&L would offer something similar to Lybrary.com's custom CDs. Imagine one could select the videos that go on the DVD. One could put all the material of interest on one or a few DVDs. This would significantly reduce the disc jokeying and the shelf space. Todays technology allows to do all these things easily and cheaply.

Chris Wasshuber
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
CHRIS

Postby Terry » 05/08/02 05:06 AM

Chris, through the continuous self promotion in every post you make, I think everyone has gotten the idea that you create and market EBooks. I have to agree with Richard in that it would be nice to see a post from you without the mention of your products. If not, then at least take an ad out in Genii.
Terry

Postby CHRIS » 05/08/02 06:41 AM

Terry,

what is so bad in suggesting improvements to existing products? Why not challenge L&L and others to do even better than what they currently do? Better products would benefit all of us.

Instead of writing just in hypothetical terms I mentioned that I do custom CDs already today, to strengthen my point. Because otherwise the next post is along the lines 'yeah yeah but not possible' or 'too expensive' or some other misinformed garbage.

Chris Wasshuber Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.

P.S. Strictly speaking my last post does not have the word 'ebook' in it. And if you would read all my posts you would find that I have written posts in the past which had nothing to do with ebooks.

P.S.S And No, you are wrong. I receive regularly emails from folks thanking me about the information on ebooks and that they are so happy having found my site through a post I made.
CHRIS

Postby Guest » 05/21/02 07:20 AM

I have to agree with Terry !!!
Everytime I see the name Chris Wasshuber, I'm thinking, "Here it comes, another plug for his eBooks". Enough already !!! Give us a break for God's sake. We can all see through your posts like they were made out of cheese cloth. Enough !!!

Postby Richard Kaufman » 05/21/02 07:41 AM

Chris, I have to agree: if you want to continually advertise your products, pay for an ad in Genii (something you have yet to do). We are all sick of seeing your continual "selling" of your company on this board.
In the future, please feel free to contribute to the discussions on the Genii Forum, but do not mention your company "Lybrary.com" or you will be banned from posting.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 05/21/02 08:20 AM

Richard-

Any shot of your Pass video coming out on DVD?

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » 05/21/02 10:52 AM

There may be a way to compromise about MENTIONING products or services on this Forum?

Like THE SECOND DEAL and the EG they have a section for people to BRIEFLY post a "heads-up" regarding products, books, and so on. It simply states the AVAILABILITY and PRICE of such-and-such. I know that many magicians are keen to know what's new. Moreover, they want to know NOW. This, in part, is e-Bay's allure.

Selling ads of course is important and necessary for the economic viability of magic magazines. Perhaps such heads-up "mentions" in FREE AREAS can be followed up with robust ads in GENII? This would balance the "picture."

Otherwise, I agree that too many ads can adulterate discourse. There is a rich irony, though. Cybernauts love the fact that the Internet is relatively FREE, yet they detest SPAM and ads. Go figure.

In the distant past, as a crass ruffian and dopey purist, I hated seeing ads in magic magazines...period! I wanted pure text and graphics; no cluttering ads and other distracting hype. Ah, those were the days...

BTW, I have a.....

(Never mind)

Onward...
Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Guest » 05/21/02 11:57 AM

Just do what I do. NEVER buy anything from Chris and encourage others to do the same. His review of last Lorayne book without ever reading it was enough for me. I buy ebooks...but from other sources. Never from him. Just my opinion.

Postby CHRIS » 05/21/02 12:12 PM

You still don't get it. That was not a review but speculation. Big difference with me non-native english speaker. You should know better.

Chris Wasshuber
CHRIS

Postby Guest » 05/21/02 12:33 PM

I read all the posts on that one. You were still wrong and will never see business from me or the magic club I belong to In Appleton, WI. Thank you, that is all.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 05/21/02 01:13 PM

I want to clarify something:
I have no problem whatsoever, and in fact encourage people, to make a post about something they would like to sell. We created a category specifically for it! I think it's a great service if the Forum is a place where someone who wants to sell something can hook up with a person who wants to buy it!
What I don't want to see is what Chris Wasshuber is doing in what seems like 90% of his posts, and that is endlessly touting his company and its products. I think we'd all get pretty sick if I ended every one of my 1000+ posts with: "Oh, and buy one of my books from Kaufman and Company."
That's where the difference lies.
To answer a question posed in this thread: Meir Yedid, who owns the rights to all of my videos, is going to put out both "On the Pass" and "Basic Basic Basic Card Technique" on DVD soon.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 05/21/02 02:01 PM

Mr. Richard:

Not that I'm an apologist for Wasshuber's drumbeating for his product--which can be annoying--but I think your ban on his annoying but innocuous "Saving Magic one book at a time," or whatever the hell it is, is overkill.

I believe Chris has been chastened and ridiculed enough to be sensitive to our sensitivies, and heck, I think I'm gonna miss that little banner.

Randy Campbell

Postby Guest » 05/21/02 04:49 PM

I'm sure Harry would be fuming to know a thread about HIS videos hasn't mentioned him or the videos in the last ten posts. :D

Tom Cutts

Postby Ruben Padilla » 05/21/02 05:38 PM

Hey, Richard, what do you think of producing and selling a CD-ROM with all the controversial posts from the forum?

Ruben Padilla - preserving my sense of humor one reply at a time.

;)
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!
Ruben Padilla

Postby Guest » 06/08/02 10:24 PM

I think Chris's idea of "custom" DVDs is great. Anyway, to get back around to the original topic: What do you all think of the Lorayne videos, now that the series is complete? I like them, but I don't love them. I remember Harry saying he would never again come out with another tape, after he made his first (Stars of Magic) tape. Now its a 10 volume set!
Its nice to finally have the Krenzel book.
Apocalypse is a good value for the money!
And I guess Harry was just tired of looking at PERSONAL COLLECTION (Imagine us, the readership!), and decided to let L&L unload them. I like Harry, but as the material in his books drifted away from his experience as a professional magician, it suffered. Just as I feel his performance on his tapes also suffers. Harry will be the first to tell you he doesn't do magic for the public anymore. It shows. Opinions?

Return to Light From the Lamp