hats are back - and going beyond just psychic paper

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 03/06/11 05:45 PM

This weekend The Adjustment Bureau opened to good reviews.

In the film - the rejoinder to the "People aren't wearing enough hats" line from The Meaning of Lif(e) seems to have been offered.

That and book sized items made of something more responsive than just psychic paper.

So are folks out hat shopping - getting diaries ready - animated face mechanics behind design revelations in books?

How goes?

J
Jonathan Townsend

Postby SteveP » 03/09/11 03:22 PM

George: All bald people look good in hats.

Elaine: You should have lived in the twenties and thirties, you know men wore
hats all the time then.

George: What a bald paradise that must have been. Nobody knew.

Hats are back and the bald men of the world (myself included) are very happy about it. Hats in the Belfry - http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/ is where I buy my ivy hats.
SteveP

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 03/09/11 03:47 PM

Thanks Steve,

From my side, it's a look/function thing where I need a hat that's both congruent to my more laid back sensibilities these days while also suitable for some of the Ramsay tricks. No idea how to pick a hat here. :( suggestions?

Still have a few hairs on my head and would like to do the c/s/b routine of old (two stuck coins as gaffus) and the newer stuff where the coins are treated as if they had liquid properties (liquid assets/hard cold cash/quantum of value) - you know two quarters dropped in merge into a half dollar kind of stuff.

so... got hats in the belfry here too. The Marauders Map (that's a HP reference) and psychic paper (Dr Who) stuff has been germinating for a while now since Hamman's Three card trick and using a blank for the card you flash before/after since they should not be thinking of a card.

So- thoughts on themes in Adjustment Bureau?

:)
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jim Maloney » 03/09/11 05:04 PM

Considering that the main theme of the movie is destiny vs. free will...well, there's a lot that can be done with that.

I think there could be something there in presenting a prediction -- showing it up front -- and then going through the actions to arrive at the end, but with a different result than predicted. You then show the prediction again, noting that "the plan has been changed".
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Jim Maloney

Postby SteveP » 03/09/11 06:39 PM

Rick Maue has a great routine called Fate that deals with destiny vs. free will. It's very adaptable in the props used as well as method to reach the desired outcome.

It's a very strong routine that I've been using in my stand-up mentalism show for the past few years.

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/mental-fate-rick-maue__3521.htm
SteveP

Return to Alternative Media