Top Three Reasons For Having A Blog

Post topics about the business side of magic.

Postby Lou Serrano » 02/10/11 08:55 AM

I want to share with you the top three reasons every magician should have a blog.

Please Click Here to watch this short 3 minute video.

As always, I welcome your comments.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
Lou Serrano

Postby Kent Gunn » 02/10/11 04:24 PM

Lou,

I watched the video. I think you could fix the simple your, you're choice on the first page. It's harder to sell yourself as a professional if you can't get the simple stuff dead on.

I immediately block any magician, ventriloquist or juggler who uses facebook, a social networking site for pimping their wares. If I want updates from one of those performers, I'll follow them myself. I really don't want to see any more advertisements on Facebook than are already there. I think those who send out barrages of sales information via the social networking sites are giving people like me a reason to not follow them. I do realize I'm not your target audience that would ever book a show, so you obviously don't care about my choices.

I have made my living as a performer. This was a long, long time ago and I know things have changed. As a musician, all my jobs came via word-of-mouth. "Hey Kent, our piano player's in jail again, can you fill in at the club?" This was the sort of jobs, this broken-down piany player would get. Playing Christmas Carols at the homes of the wealthy during the season would often carry me through the year. Those contacts I would refresh at least a couple of times through the year.

Incessantly trumpeting your wares (self) reminds me of a pal who was a car salesman. He spent so much time expanding his contact book he had few real friends.

How do you balance the need to get your name on prospective customers lips and not irritating many other casual acquaintances?

KG
Kent Gunn

Postby Lou Serrano » 02/10/11 08:26 PM

Hi Kent!

It's good to hear from you, and thank you for pointing out the typo. It was about 4 A.M. when I wrote the article. I'm surprised there aren't more typos than just that one.

As for your question regarding balance, here is the key. Create more value to the people around you. I have another video on my blog that gives more clarity on that subject.

Social networks are for socializing. If you look at my Facebook wall, you will notice I have more posts on the walls of other people than I have on my own wall. I'm constantly having conversations with others about the things that are important to them.

Most of my blog posts aren't selling you anything, instead they are giving the viewer free information. If the viewer doesn't have any interest in the information I'm sharing, nobody is forcing them to stay.

My posts on my Facebook wall are no different than the posts of other people that don't have anything to sell. If someone posts that they are having a sandwich at their local sandwich shop, how is that any different than me posting I have a new video on my blog. Nobody is being forced to click on the link.

Again, it's my belief that if I focus on giving more value to the people around me than I expect in return, I will do okay.

Obviously there will be people that will be very upset with the way that I choose to run my business, but those people are few and far between. Besides, I'm not going to let others dictate how I should run my business or my life.

Bill Cosby was quoted as saying "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."

Lloyd Jones was quoted as saying, "The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed."

At least I'm trying. I'm doing the best I can, while giving as much value to the world around me.

Wishing you the very best,

Lou Serrano
Lou Serrano

Postby Lou Serrano » 02/10/11 09:08 PM

Kent,

You may also want to check out:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post238045

It's all about social media and the party principle. I think it will address your concerns perfectly.

All the best,

Lou
Lou Serrano

Return to Marketing & Magic Business