Rate our columnists!

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 07/18/01 11:18 AM

Here's your chance to make your opinion known to us instantly: rate the columnists who write for Genii. (Note: I am not referring to our reviewers who write for Light from the Lamp, but the columnists in other sections.)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Matthew Field » 07/18/01 04:18 PM

I think Charlie Miller is fabulous. Vernon, too.

Matt (Mad Dog) Field
Matthew Field

Postby Bob Farmer » 07/18/01 05:25 PM

I love Bob Farmer's Flim Flam column.
Bob Farmer

Postby Richard Kaufman » 07/18/01 07:25 PM

Hey, Farmer's Flim Flam column is not in Genii! In fact, it's not!
I always heard that Bob Farmer promoted self love, and I guess it's true.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Matthew Field » 07/19/01 09:15 AM

Flim-Flam doesn't even seem to be in MAGIC magazine anymore!

What we need is a hardcover collection of those columns, with some humorous interstitial material, whatever that means.

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Postby Guest » 07/19/01 11:21 AM

enjoy joe turners video reviews they seem fair.

ken scott

Postby Brian Marks » 07/22/01 11:47 PM

I would like to see a monthly column by Jamy Swiss. I dont always agree with his opinions but his opinions are always informative and bring about alot of necessary debate.
Brian Marks

Postby Guest » 07/23/01 12:27 PM

I'd like to see a "Crime Watch" section, like they have in the Washington Post. In addition to listing who is touring or headlining a convention, you could also list those of us that got locked up last month.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 07/23/01 02:56 PM

I don't believe we have any criminals currently among our Genii columnists, and I'm relieved to think that Bob Markwood (the rotten pedophile who's now in jail in Texas for drugging young boys and sexually abusing them) was not among Genii's columnists while I am running the ship.
Hey Mark, do you know something I don't? :confused:
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 07/23/01 04:31 PM

Of course I was joking. Can you imagine the letters to the editor you would get if Genii listed the names of any magician that got busted?

"Genii's Crime Watch - Mark Ennis was arrested on July 23 for disturbing the peace."

Actually the staff at Genii is great and I for one am glad to see that you were able to take a once greeat magazine and make it even better.

Postby Steve Bryant » 07/24/01 05:54 PM

I miss HoHo the Clown.
Steve Bryant

Postby Richard Kaufman » 07/24/01 11:46 PM

At the risk of being accused of poor taste, I must add that I miss Fondles the Clown more than Ho Ho. :p
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 07/25/01 04:44 PM

I like the crime watch idea. It should be used to post magicians who steal material from others. I also love Bill Goldman's column. You should reprint the one about the greatest magic trick he ever saw.

Mark :)

Postby Matthew Field » 07/29/01 11:49 AM

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Matthew Field ]
Matthew Field

Postby Guest » 07/29/01 12:28 PM

I loved the Magicana column when Jim Patton was writing it. He published GREAT tricks and honestly reviewed whatever books were out at the time. I still perform John Kennedy's Black and Red trick. Is there some chance of bringing him back in some capacity?

Postby Luis » 08/03/01 06:19 PM

I agree with Brian Marks, We need more from Jamy Ian Swiss.
Luis

Postby Chris Gillett » 08/03/01 06:29 PM

I agree with Luis and Brian. More Jamy Ian Swiss.
Chris Gillett

Postby Guest » 08/04/01 12:38 AM

Being that I'm a fan of both, I really enjoy Eugene Burger and Phil Goldstein's columns. The wealth of knowledge those two have is immense and needed among the "brethren".

Postby pduffie » 08/06/01 08:48 AM

Being that I'm a fan of only one of the above, I enjoy anything by Phil Goldstein.

Best Wishes

Peter
pduffie

Postby Carl Mercurio » 08/06/01 06:47 PM

I've told Jamy Ian Swiss this myself, but now I'll say it publicly. He is one of my favorite critics, and that includes the mainstream reviewers of books, movies, TV, etc. He's got a knowledge of the subject matter and a sense of humor right up there with the late great Stuart Klein.
Carl Mercurio

Postby Guest » 08/20/01 09:04 PM

Although I am a relative newcomer in the realm of Magic. I have been subscribing to Genii for about 2 years now and I must say I am really drawn to anything that Max Maven and Eugene Burger write. I like both of there styles. I also have been very fortunate to have met the both of them on separate ocassions. And just resently in California along with Robert Neale, whose work I am also a fan.

Postby Guest » 09/03/01 02:05 PM

I'm a big fan of Eugene Burger's writing and greatly appreciate the way he makes me think -- even if I disagree with him from time to time.

Also, as one who have a very difficult time learning magic from the written word, I greatly appreciate Al Schneider. When he explains something, it makes sense to me. And, like Burger's, his magical thinking keeps me shaking my head in wonder.[*]null

Postby Guest » 09/06/01 12:52 AM

i know jis's job isn't easy, but i can't imagine anyone other than genii taking the single most contrversial, (and perhaps best) columnist, and giving him half his usual space. you asked for our opinions. these are mine. i was happy to see genii would feature vernon, and jennings stuff, regularly. it was going to be every other month (already not enough), now it seems a rare event! i'm sure that the vernon issue in december will make up for it, but really...the world doesn't NEED another max maven rehashed card effect. i like max, as a person, and and as a performer, and indeed as an inventor. but given the choice between an unpublised jennings take on a hofzinser effect, or another max maven effect using applying the gilbreath principle to a routine from the phoenix, i'd have to choose the former. just offering my thoughts. i love genii.

Postby Guest » 09/06/01 02:05 PM

Yes John,Max is so prolific but if an effect
of his [or some one else]is too good I don't
believe they will put it in a magazine.They
are going to market it for 15 or 20 bucks.
Nothing wrong with that but that is why I
think there are so many 'card puzzles in
Genii.The exception to this was Just Alan
and his take on B'wave which I LOVED.

Postby Tom Stone » 09/06/01 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Mark y:
Yes John,Max is so prolific but if an effect of his is too good I don't believe they will put it in a magazine.They are going to market it for 15 or 20 bucks.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen several of Max' items that have been published in magazines, items that a few years later have been marketed. There are several published things of his that comes to mind that I guess might become marketed in the future.
For example, there was an absolutely delightful and funny packet trick in Magic magazine a few years ago with Hummer-inspired smile/frown faces. I have not seen anyone perform it, but I'm quite sure that if it will be marketed, many magicians will start to perform it. The same is true with many of Max' items in Genii.
Tom Stone

Postby Brian Marks » 09/08/01 02:42 AM

I too dont understand why Jamy Ian Swiss receives half the space he used to. Richard seemed to defend him after the Michael Ammar but we see less writing from Jamy. As Mike Close said being a reviewer will win you no friends.
I guess its also to add diversity of opinion in the review section but Id would like to see a column outside of that for Jamy to talk about topics of the day. If Jamy would agree to do so. Alittle controversy is healthy. Keeps me interested in reading.

I encourage people to disagree. It will force people to debate. Its what stimulates the mind and causes people to be creative in a time we dont seem to have much. We no longer read the book...we wait for the movie.
Brian Marks

Postby Guest » 09/08/01 07:04 AM

I like a good debate as well. A different opinion usually helps me solidify my opposing belief or to rethink it if my opponent makes a good point I never thought of.

I am not sure what Jamy said about Michael Ammar, but it sounds like he gave him an unfavorable review of some sort?

Postby Matthew Field » 09/08/01 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Mark Ennis:
I am not sure what Jamy said about Michael Ammar

Jamy did not like Ammar's Cups and Balls book. He explained this in a three page review.

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Postby Guest » 09/08/01 12:22 PM

He's allowed not to like it. Was there some sort of fallout or did Michael Ammar get mad and try to convince Jamy he was wrong?

Postby Guest » 09/09/01 12:33 PM

Richard,
Just my two cents worth.
Thanks for Barrie Richardson, Max, and Eugene. I've been a huge fan of Max and Eugene for years, but having recently (within the last year) transitioned to more mentalism in my act, I'm very pleased to see Barrie now on board.
Also, David Acer's ideas are wonderful. If you're listening David, I've been a fan since the first year of Magic Menu.
Rick

Postby Brian Marks » 09/09/01 01:43 PM

Alot of people were upset that Jamy not only didnt like Micheal Ammar's cups and balls but did it with an extended essay of 3 pages.
I didnt get a chance to read the review but I remeber people's reaction to it as being very upset. From my understanding Genii received plenty of letters angry about the review.
Brian Marks

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/10/01 02:23 AM

Regarding the types of tricks I print in Genii (and have always printed, whether it was in MAGIC, Apocalypse, Richard's Almanac, or any periodical): I try to avoid "magazine tricks" that the creators feel is of less quality than the type of item that might be in a book or marketed separately. I always try to publish GREAT tricks. I don't always succeed, but I try.
It is also important to publish material that appeals to people at different skill levels. Heavy-duty sleight-of-hand guys couldn't care less about Maven/Goldstein's material--but I am NOT printing it for them! It's in there for people whose technical abilities are modest and still want to read some interesting material that they can actually do. Ditto for mentalism. I don't do any mentalism, but Genii has a lot of readers who do. So whoever mentioned Barrie's name--thanks! I just sent him an e-mail asking for some more columns.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 09/12/01 01:47 AM

Richard, I am appreciative not only for Barrie's column but also for bringing "Knights of the Magic Circle" with Jules Lenier back. I always loved reading his descriptions of what was going on at the Castle, and have even been using his ESP routine he gave away in the July issue. Great Magazine! Keep up the awesome work.
By the way, anything in the works sometime in the future on Martin Lewis? Martin has become a friend recently, and I'd love to see an article on this great man in magic.
Just asking,
Rick

Postby Brian Marks » 09/12/01 10:39 PM

I too like Barrie Richardson and enjoy his colomns as well as Martin Lewis
Brian Marks

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/12/01 11:40 PM

Barrie Richardson sent me a nice booktest for his column in Genii, but it is lost somewhere in the PILES of paper on my desk. If anyone finds it, please let me know! :)
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 09/14/01 01:37 AM

I sure hope you find it!
Just kidding. I've been looking for a great book test, maybe this one....
Off the subject, how's everyone in DC doing? Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Rick

Postby Guest » 10/04/01 03:26 PM

I have always enjoyed the thoughtful articles written by Eugene Burger. And even though you did not request comment on Mr. Swiss, his is one of the first sections of the magazine I read along with Mr. Burger's. But Mr. Swiss used to write a column concerning his life experience in magic that I appreciated very much.

Return to Columns