Anti-Faro

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.

Postby Ryan Matney » 07/22/01 04:28 PM

Ok,
I just wanna know if anyone is actually doing this now and what kind of problems you are having and how long it took you to get it down. General Anti-faro info.
Best,
Ryan
Ryan Matney

Postby Richard Kaufman » 07/22/01 04:48 PM

I know of three people who perform the Anti-Faro well enough to use it, and have effects for it: Christian Engblom, Paul Wilson (I keep meaning to publish his routine in Genii), and Michael Weber.
If anyone else out there is having success, let us hear about it! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 07/25/01 09:23 PM

I have messed around with the Anti Faro for about a year now, and can get it about 80-90% but have to make adjustments to fix it. I gave up practicing it though, because i feel its not practical for laymen... its a great thing to show other magis, but there are better things to practice to amaze people. like Christian said at his lecture he recommends a stripper deck to acheive the effect to non magis

Postby Ryan Matney » 07/25/01 09:51 PM

I heard through the grapevine that David Blaine was doing the anti-faro just before it was published. Can anyone confirm?
Ryan Matney

Postby Guest » 07/26/01 06:17 PM

yes Ryan Blaine was doing the anti faro before it was in Genii... but only because he hangs out with Bill Kalush who taught it to him.

Postby Richard Tremblay » 07/27/01 08:05 AM

I honestly find it difficult to believe that a guy who cannot do a double lift of any sense take the time to learn a move like the anti-faro... :eek:

Richard Tremblay

P.S. Don't take this as an attack against David Blaine because I think that he do a great job at promoting magic. I'm only questionning his technical skill.
Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Kaufman » 07/27/01 11:49 AM

I believe that while David Blaine did a lousy Double Lift when he taped his first TV special, in the intervening years he has learned to handle basic card moves in a more convincing manner.
However, that really has nothing to do with The Anti-Faro. This unique move is not really skill-dependent like a Double Lift. It is an acquired knack, sort of like The Faro Shuffle. Have you ever noticed that there seem to be a group of guys who don't do heavy card work, yet they've mastered the Faro?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » 07/27/01 01:51 PM

When I was 12 years old, I wanted to be able to juggle 5 balls, ride a unicycle, and perform front and back palming with cards, do a Pressure Fan, scale-and-catch cards, and do difficult card flourishes. It was the skill-factor that challenged me, not the tricks. If the Anti-Faro had been around in 1952, I would have "dogged" it until I could do it.

Would I show anyone?
I doubt it. :eek:
Jon Racherbaumer

Return to Magicana