A Loaded Question for the Readers of Genii

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.

Postby Guest » 06/09/02 08:29 PM

Yea, D.Penn we would not want to learn something difficult and impressive like coin magic whould we?

Postby Guest » 06/09/02 09:47 PM

I would like to see practical Bizarre stuff from people like Rick Maue, Gene Poinc, Tony Andruzzi, and others.

Postby EdAndres » 06/09/02 10:52 PM

I very much enjoy "Magicana" :genii: .I would like to see a little Geoff Latta stuff! Barring that I guess maybe a little rope magic (not anything with the little extra piece ala Sandsational).

Maybe an occasional story/interview with someone talking about one of his/her favorite creations and include some variations (like maybe Paul Harris or Dave!)

ed
EdAndres

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » 06/09/02 11:31 PM

Effects that are oriented for lay audiences in real world performing conditions -- and not just derivative/personalized variations that appeal primarily to magicians. In addition, more stand-up effects would be terrific.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com
Jeffrey Cowan

Postby John Pezzullo » 06/10/02 03:48 AM

I would also like to print material of the type Jim Steinmeyer put in his "Conjuring" column in MAGIC, however he seems to be the only person consistently coming up with that style of material
these days. If anyone knows of someone out there inventing that kind of stuff--let me know!
Richard,

I'd also like to see more stand-up/parlour material published in 'Magicana' although understand that this type of material isn't easy to come by.

In another thread I wrote about Magic Christian. He had some great stand-up material in his stage lecture. It may be worth contacting him and solicitng a contribution.

In fact, soliciting contributions from around the world is a good way to go. Simply spread the word globally that 'Genii' magazine is looking to publish this type of material. I'd love to see the ideas and effects of magicians from all around the world - France, Germany, Austria, England, Japan, Sweden, Scotland, Portugal, Ireland, Hungary, The Netherlands, Spain, Argentina, Australia, etc.

I also don't think that it's absolutely necessary for every effect that's published to be a 'finished' piece of magic. Works in progress and 'little ideas' are sutiable for publication in my opinion. These half-developed ideas and routines can often lead others into interesting places.

Even if there were no tricks published in "Genii" I wouldn't care. An issue of "Genii" without any tricks would still be a great read.
John Pezzullo

Postby Jim Morton » 06/10/02 09:16 AM

Since I love con games, any time you have articles on that subject, I'm happy (Bob Farmer's Flim Flam column was my favorite thing in Magic magazine).

I also think that David Regal is onto something with his "Speaking Volumes" article. I'd like to see this explored further.

Jim
Jim Morton

Postby Guest » 06/10/02 09:22 AM

Let's see...where to begin.
I would like to see more classis close up routines of the old masters.
Sponge balls, coins, rope, silks, cards, etc.
Oh, and maybe articles on building your own gaffs.
And more mentalism too!

That's my two cents worth.

Postby Ed Oschmann » 06/11/02 10:39 AM

Recently, I was at the Florida Magicians Association's Convention and had the wonderful oppotunity to see a young man named Shoot Ogawa from Tokyo. To say that I was impressed would be an understatement. I was in true awe.
His coin work is mind-boggling.
Ed Oschmann

Postby Guest » 06/11/02 02:49 PM

Hey Richard,

Here's a suggestion I gave you a while back, let's see if anyone else thinks it's a good idea! ;) I'd also like to see more "general" magic that is non-card. How about asking (or comissioning) some performers who are known for their creative and distinctive presentations (Mac King, Tommy Wonder, John Carney, Johnny Thompson, etc.) to take classics of magic that are available in print (e.g. Greater Magic, Tarbell, Prof. Hoffmann, etc.) and create topical, up-to-date presentations for them. This would take a little pressure off them since they would not be routines from their professional repertoire.

Any thoughts anyone?

Mark

Postby Dave Shepherd » 06/12/02 03:25 AM

I am a big card fan (what, with a partial faro shuffle to start...?), but I second what others are saying about non-card material. Coins, ropes, sponges, etc. (no restrictions on methodologies--go ahead and print rope tricks with the extra little piece, it's fine with me).

I also second what John Pezzullo says about using material from around the world. I have really enjoyed material from the Japanese and European magicians you've published.

Don't drop cards totally, though!
Dave Shepherd

Postby David Acer » 06/14/02 01:00 PM

I feel very strongly (perhaps more strongly than I've ever felt before) that David Regal's "Speaking Volumes" should become a regular column. And if David's not willing to write it, then perhaps someone else with a propensity for reading could step up to the plate (what's Valentino doing?)
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer
David Acer

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 06/14/02 01:07 PM

Originally posted by David Acer:
I feel very strongly (perhaps more strongly than I've ever felt before) that David Regal's "Speaking Volumes" should become a regular column. And if David's not willing to write it, then perhaps someone else with a propensity for reading could step up to the plate (what's Valentino doing?)
I think that's a fantastic idea.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Robert Kane » 06/15/02 01:11 PM

I would like to see modern/detailed write ups of classic close-up routines from top performers of the past along with updates/adaptations/nuances by current performers.

For example, feature classic versions of Cap n'Pence (say by Nate Leipzig and John Ramsay) along with current versions/nuances by modern performers (for example John Carney, Roger Klause, Mike Rogers).

In addition, I love the questions suggested by Peter McCabe. In fact, I think we are pretty much talking about the same sort of approach.

;)
Robert Kane

Postby Magicbob » 06/16/02 12:12 PM

Years ago while living in Tokyo, I studied Japanese and got pretty good at it, but never to the point I could read it. The most popular magazine was "Kijutsu Kenkyo" (the study of Magic.) While I coulden't read the Kangi Characters the vast number of illustrations made it all understandable. Get a few of these and put them in Genii - they certainly took enough from Genii.
Magicbob

Postby James Harrison » 06/19/02 09:22 AM

I would love to see an issue dedicated to coins, cup and balls, impromtu stuff, anything other than cards.

I like cards, but that seems to be the basis of the magazine.

I wouldn't mind seeing some close-up magican interviews, but guys who are known for things other than cards.

Heck, have a special magazine one shot once a year for it or something, I know I'd pick it up.

Hope some of the other Magicians will back me up on this.
James Harrison

Postby Guest » 06/19/02 01:56 PM

The James Sain Royal departure routine was very nice.I think that the format that you used for kling klang was very nice. Maybe you could put down a varety of methods for one effect(ala kling klang.) Great work though

(speaking volumes was truly excellent)

Postby Jamie Badman » 06/23/02 01:15 AM

How about a brief section for 'finesse' or minor improvements to existing effects ? Just provide the brief idea and a reference to the effect. A notebook kind of thing.

Wouldn't take much space, could provide some valueable ideas - and would provide motivation for digging through effects we may have in our library but which we overlooked.

Jamie.
Jamie Badman

Postby Brian Marks » 06/23/02 07:39 AM

I would like to see more space dedicated to coins and mentalism. I like Phil Goldstein's columns.
Brian Marks

Postby opie » 06/23/02 10:48 AM

Richard, I am saving my money to buy a collected MAGICANA book....

Any thoughts on putting one out???

opie
opie

Postby Richard Kaufman » 06/23/02 01:42 PM

There will be a collected Magicana book. I had several discussions with Bill Woodfield about it before he died.
One of the big problems is time. I spend all of mine getting Genii out on time every month.
Anyone out there willing to take on the task of scanning all the text from Magiciana onto computer?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby opie » 06/23/02 02:13 PM

Can't help you with the scanning, but I sure want that book....

opie
opie

Postby Joe M. Turner » 06/23/02 06:33 PM

Richard:

Let's talk about scanning and what's involved.

JMT
Joe M. Turner

Postby Guest » 06/23/02 07:08 PM

How did you manage that one Opie?

Postby opie » 06/24/02 05:14 AM

Gibby....don't know....Genii power, I guess (I am not about to say Magic).... :)

opie
opie

Postby Ruben Padilla » 06/24/02 03:29 PM

I'm not into variations of existing routines as much as I'm into original plots and new ideas. Complete routines are better than utility moves and slights (for me), and I like seeing the evolution of an idea (from original creator to current performer, for example). Personally, I'm a fan of theory, and the Too-Perfect article was the best thing I've read in Genii, EVER. Anything that stimulates thought and gets the cretive juices going...
Oh, and more mentalism is cool, too.
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!
Ruben Padilla

Postby Bill Mullins » 06/25/02 11:57 AM

I just got a copy of Steinmeyer's "Impuzzibilities", and liked it better than I thought I would.

Stuff like that would be good for Magicana.

Bill
Bill Mullins

Postby David Acer » 06/25/02 03:17 PM

David Williamson does some of the sweetest card work on the planet, and, unlike many of his fellow experts, he is actually able to entertain an audience at the same time.
David Acer

Postby Guest » 06/25/02 05:58 PM

I agree with David Acer. I saw David Williamson at the Blackpool Convention and he presented some really great Card Magic. He even fooled me with an effect I have been using since it was first published, Paul Harris's Color Stunner, David's Version is sensational.

As for feature articles, I enjoy reading about the lives of Magicians and the challenges they had to overcome. The Harry Loryane article by Jon Racherbaumer was excellent, that combined with a collection of effects was also excellent. The two go hand in hand; it helps to paint a picture of a complete person and their passion for magic.

If possible, I would like to learn a little more about Ricky Jay. ;)

Postby Richard Kaufman » 06/25/02 06:16 PM

It will be difficult to learn more about Ricky Jay because he doesn't want anything known. His friends keep quiet. Read a few interviews and you'll see that he spends more time evading questions than answering them.
Richard Kaufman

Postby David Acer » 06/25/02 09:07 PM

In case anyone's wondering why the hell I mentioned David Williamson out of the blue, it's because I thought I was posting a reply to the topic-heading CARD STARS OF THE 21st CENTURY. I have no idea how it ended up here under A LOADED QUESTION FOR GENII READERS. Moreover, I ... hey wait a minute... this isn't my house?!?

End Transmission
David Acer

Postby Dustin Stinett » 06/25/02 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Michael Vincent:
If possible, I would like to learn a little more about Ricky Jay.
To date the most comprehensive work on the elusive Ricky Jay is the 18-page piece by Mark Singer in the April 5, 1993 issue of The New Yorker (also later published in Life Stories: Profiles From the New Yorker [2000]). Virtually everything else can best be described as “fluff.”

It's too bad that he is so reticent. He really is a star of some compelling magnitude (Broadway, books and film – only TV is left), and that reticence actually fuels the maniacal hunger for Jay memorabilia that he, apparently, disdains. When I first started collecting Jay material it was virtually free and easy. Now I wonder how much I could fetch for a playing card he signed back in the 70s (pre-calligraphy I might add). His reserve also feeds the fires of desire for more personal and professional news. It's just a matter of time before there is more fiction available than fact.

Stars of such magnitude can take a lesson from golfer Arnold Palmer. He will sign anything and everything (there was a joke that went around that said that Arnold would stay at the course looking for people who had not yet asked for his autograph) and he grants all interviews, whether he is up or down. The result of all this is a reasonable market for Palmer memorabilia with very little forgery, fraud and misinformation. And, perhaps most importantly, when he asks for privacy, he is so respected that it is quickly granted, because everyone, fans and the press, knows just how much he has already given, and is willing to give. When Curtis Strange won his second consecutive U.S. Open, he received a box of trading cards with the request that he sign and return them. Furious, he called and asked Arnold what he would do: “Sign "em” was his simple reply.

As for Ricky Jay changing his ways, I'm not going to hold my breath – but I will hold on to hope.

Dustin
Dustin Stinett

Postby Guest » 06/26/02 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
It will be difficult to learn more about Ricky Jay because he doesn't want anything known. His friends keep quiet. Read a few interviews and you'll see that he spends more time evading questions than answering them.
I thought the interview in "The New Yorker" said a lot about him. However, although I'd love to know more, I feel that being a public performer shouldn't mean rhat your private life should be public property as well. Perhaps Richard could persuade him to give his thoughts on how he views the current magic scene against the past masters?

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 06/26/02 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I would like to hear from as many of you as possible, HUNDREDS of you if possible, exactly what kind of magic magic you would like to see in "Magicana" in the future. And, please tell me the columnists in "Magicana" you like.
Personally, I'd like to see effects that people are using in the real world - the things they use everyday (assuming, of course, you can get people to give up those effects).

If you include the "Intermission" columns in this, I have to say that Eugene Burger's column is the first thing I read on the months when it appears.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Richard Kaufman » 06/26/02 11:41 AM

I sent a message to Ricky Jay about a possible interview for the story we are doing about his current show. He had the courtesy to call me back, but he declined the interview. He simply has no desire whatsoever to say anything to the society of magicians at large.
The piece in "The New Yorker" can in no way be thought of as investigative journalism, because the author did no digging to find out anything about Ricky that Ricky didn't want printed, such as his real last name. It was a well-detail puff piece designed entirely to enhance Ricky's image and the mystique which he has created. In that sense it succeeded beautifully.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » 06/26/02 10:27 PM

Sometimes magicians are transported to "worlds" due to planned and fortuitous turns in their career track; and often times these are insular, encapsulated, far-flung "worlds" very much apart from our quaint world of magicdom. As magicians, regardless of our skills, reputation, or station, we want ALL magicians to be our mates, our kindred spirits. But success brings some to levels where such fraternization is unlikely and impossible.

Why would David Copperfield want to hang out and chat with the "boys"? Soon DAvid Blaine will be entirely inaccessible. Uri Geller is....where?
Many are simply busy....working....

Ricky Jay now runs in much different circles and has different interests and a limited amount of free time. He obviously still loves magic...but the magic world that is our domain is not connected to his, nor should it be. He chooses to express his love of magic, theater, and so on through his Work...and he chooses to talk shop with talented, dedicated people from OTHER arts and crafts and businesses...This is not elitism or snobbishness. It is what provides his ferment and future growth...

The same thing has happened to others. Persi Diaconis, for example, moved into a wholly different realm many years ago. He was in New Orleans not long ago to deliver a lecture on mathematics at Tulane. We spent a pleasant afternoon together, shared a meal, and never talked about magic, card tricks, or anything related to magic...

This is what happens when we move on...or past the sweet domain we call magicdom...
Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Robert Kane » 06/27/02 08:49 AM

I think another reason for Jay's reticence to be associated with the "magic community" results from the lower status that magic and its practitioners hold in the eye of the entertainment industry and general public.

In my experience on the entertainment side of the cruise industry, magicians were largely seen as hacks, except for a few reliable players. They often were the last or avoided choice when making hiring decisions. Much more mileage could be gotten from singers, dancers, pianists, comedians, etc.

My sense is that it is a similar situation in the popular entertainment business. Magicians are rarely the first pick options except for high-end power players, but on an occasional basis only.

Jay has associated himself with highbrow artists like David Mamet which has in turn, helped Jay develop a sophisticated image that is respected and very commercial on Broadway and high-end television (a la HBO).

Jim Swain discusses a similar concept in a recent interview published in Magic when he talks about how he was discouraged from referring to his magical talent in the dust jacket biography of his second mystery novel (Funny Money).

Swain said, "The fact is, over the last year, I have dropped using the word 'magician' in everything I do. My publisher is dropping it as well...I love magic, it's a part of my soul, but in the real world, magician has a negative connotation."

The reality is that most of us in the "magic community" are pretty geeky (myself included) and are also decidedly non-commercial.

Swain also points out that we have a nasty reputation for making our spectators look foolish as opposed to entertaining them. Indeed some folks fear magicians and magic for this reason. "Please don't pick me, please don't pick me...maybe if I look the other way he won't pick me."

As much as it saddens me to say, I can easily see why Jay does not want to cavort with the "magic community." It would be bad for business.

Maybe we could all work to change that image? :(
Robert Kane

Postby Pete Biro » 06/28/02 07:26 PM

Let's put Williamson, Tamariz and Michael Weber in a room for 48 hours and keep a video going.

Now that would be something.

I would like to see more stand up parlour type material... and more "impromptu" looking stuff, like cups and balls with tea cups, etc.

Tricks with ordinary objects.

Tricks of bar magicians (solid, fast, direct stuff).

:D :cool: :p
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » 06/28/02 07:29 PM

Actually, a concept I had for a convention was the following.

The convention committee rents three suite type rooms and puts two top close up guys in each one.

Audiences can come and go and they work in real hospitality suite/session conditions. They could do a set that lasted four hours if they wanted to. some of the audience members could to a bit too.

I still think worked right this could be amazing. None of the politicos at the IBM understood the concept and I could never get it into the schedule.

Oh well.... :eek: :( :mad:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Ruben Padilla » 06/30/02 07:29 PM

I've already posted my Magicana preferences earlier in this thread, but the Ricky Jay tangent poses a question -

Are there any plans to tape his new show and air it on HBO like the first one?
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!
Ruben Padilla

Postby Rick Maue » 07/03/02 11:23 PM

Originally posted by David Eldridge:
I would like to see practical Bizarre stuff from people like Rick Maue, Gene Poinc, Tony Andruzzi, and others.
Greetings,

First of all, thanks for the nice thoughts David. (I would have responded sooner but things have been far too busy around here over the last few months.)

I too would love to see some practical bizarre items every so often. This is not my way of trying to push my material in the column, but instead, more a desire to see some new blood in one of my areas of interest.

Keep the change,
Rick Maue
Deceptions Unlimited
Rick Maue

Next

Return to Magicana