Rub-a-dub-deluxe - magicana contribution

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.

Postby Temperance » 01/13/04 08:09 AM

Hi

Just a note to say that the rub a dub vanish handling in this months issue of genii is fantastic! My hat goes off to Glenn Morphew.

Also on page 29 near the end of the penultimate paragraph it should read "and are now magically all face down" (not face up ;) )

Euan
Temperance

Postby Guest » 01/14/04 11:40 AM

I need to learn this move just so I can say I know the "Rub-a-Dub" vanish!

Postby Guest » 01/14/04 06:34 PM

Sorry I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum, anyway... The rub-a-Dub was written up wrong in Genii. I and Glenn noticed this, he was saying how the fingers are supposed to be open when reaching for the card, then close the second you do the move. It gives a retention type of look to it and makes it a lot more convincing that it goes on the table or on the spectators hand. I think this is a Gary Kurtz idea which he explaines in Hypothetical Possibilites (Creating Magic). When Glenn does the move it looks like pure magic, his other card work is pretty impressive too.

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » 01/14/04 10:20 PM

Yes, Glen does this move beautifully and he DOES keep his fingers open just prior to the supposed "take;" however, the rest of the KEY mechanics are correct. The key thing is the fact that the card is angled, not sidejogged.

Also, sometimes one "holds back" a few of the tiny touches. Serious students will eventually figure them out if they study hard enough and practice long enough. Some things must be earned.

In the meantime, if you can see Glenn work, by all means ask him to demonstrate his work. He has many great touches and ideas.

Onward...
Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Guest » 01/16/04 06:00 PM

Jason England has been doing this finesse for the past couple years, with the card angled and fingers open. Those two changes, combined with smooth technique and perfect timing, make for a great illusion.

He has another touch which further sells the visual retention. Perhaps Jason will add to this discussion when he returns from Vegas.

--Randy Campbell

Postby Jason England » 01/17/04 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Randy Campbell:
Jason England has been doing this finesse for the past couple years, with the card angled and fingers open. Those two changes, combined with smooth technique and perfect timing, make for a great illusion.

He has another touch which further sells the visual retention. Perhaps Jason will add to this discussion when he returns from Vegas.

--Randy Campbell
Actually, I've been doing the Rub-a-Dub Vanish (essentially) like this for almost 10 years. I saw John Riggs of Knoxville, Tennessee do a really nice version of the move and tried to learn it from memory. Since I had no written (or videotape) source for the move, I came up with my own variant.

Some, like Ed Andres, Mark Modeer, and Derek Delgaudio have seen this technique as far back as Spring of 1997. Others, like Bill Taylor, Earl Nelson, Darwin Ortiz, and Andrew Wimhurst have seen me do it in the past 3 or 4 years. Paul Wilson saw me do this at one of the A-1 conventions in 1999 and even kidded me once that he'd contributed it to Genii. Also, we filmed it for one of the card sequences for Shade in June of 2002.

I do have a new touch on it Randy, one that I've developed in the past 2 months or so. If you're nice to me I might show you.

Jason
Jason England

Return to Magicana