Heads Up Display - Magic Window

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 04/06/10 09:16 PM

It's been just under a week since the Fringe episode with the window (and gateway) into another universe ...

This opens the door to considering the interior of foil lined envelopes or a WOW as perhaps unstable or moving between such universes - how about a diebox where you have a cat produced at the end but ... a window into an alternate universe that is almost exactly like our own... what a useful notion for magic. :) Not that I suggest being so condescending as to tell any audience that such is how a thing works - but as silent script or "false method" it seems potent.

There was a Scientific American article discussing some notions pertinent to this idea and Micheal Crichton's Timeline used the idea as a replacement for the old paradox riddled story device of time travel.

And in some universe this is old news and you already knew this.
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 04/07/10 03:11 PM

Folks, compare the scene with the view of the Empire State building to Copperfield's Statue of Liberty vanish. :)
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 04/09/10 01:21 PM

Heads Up Display
Magic Window
Photo as window to times past in this world.

I almost like the "interact with the video" idea - though see there's a stronger idea lurking in the world we see in the frame, behind the glass.

What would you have different there? For example, a color changing deck is just what happens when you look through the frame rather than directly.
Of course there is one possible universe where it's your named card face up in the pack.
In that other world quarters are made of copper.
Shows what will be there in ten minutes from now.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on 04/09/10 01:25 PM, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: examples
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 04/12/10 11:02 AM

Next example - a classic, your glasses.
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Pete McCabe » 04/12/10 01:22 PM

It's just a matter of time before Mr. Goat makes this thread into a blog.
Pete McCabe

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 04/12/10 02:15 PM

Pete McCabe wrote:It's just a matter of time before Mr. Goat makes this thread into a blog.

Let's see; There was some striking imagery on a network TV show - with a theme that is directly applicable to conjuring.

From the sound of crickets ... yeah I guess this is a blog. It's 2010 and there sure seems to be a dearth of interst in exploring in magic.
Jonathan Townsend

Postby mrgoat » 04/12/10 02:54 PM

Pete McCabe wrote:It's just a matter of time before Mr. Goat makes this thread into a blog.

Sorry, I was away in Phoenix for work. My autoblog script should have picked this up. My bad.
mrgoat

Return to Alternative Media