Hofzinser's Multiple Top Change

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.

Postby Pete McCabe » 11/06/05 02:27 AM

Magic Christian's article is wonderful. The research into Hofzinser's life and magic are extraordinary.

But one small correction may be in order. The article says "I think this is the first appearance in print of a Multiple Top Change done from a natural grip since Carl Willmann's Zauberwelt in 1895, 110 years ago." In the book Close Up Illusions, Gary Ouellet describes "The Slider Top Change," which, as Gary says, "can just as easily change a block of cards for another block of cards as it can change one card for another single card." Gary includes a routine, "Showcase," which includes a multiple top change. The grip in Gary's change is the same as in Magic Christian's description. In fact both moves are very similar, which is not surprising, I think.

The structure of "The Four Kings" is wonderful. How many improvements has this trick suffered over the intervening years, without really improving on the original.
Pete McCabe

Postby John Bodine » 12/23/05 05:14 PM

Charlie Miller also mentions a multiple card top change in his Lecture Notes from Magic Inc. No description of the move is given, but it is mentioned as part of the method in his thought of cards across.

johnbodine
John Bodine

Postby Guest » 07/10/06 03:35 AM

... and not to forget:
Robert-Houdin: Les Secrets dela Prestidigitation et de la Magie (1868), Hoffmann translation (1878), p. 153:
"Second Method of Changing a Card. Old Method".
I quote from p. 155: "I have already remarked that, by means of this form of the change, it is possible to change several cards for one..."

Reinhard

Return to Magicana