If you are in the Palm Springs area some Saturday night . . .

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

Postby Don Knox » 03/16/10 09:07 PM

If you in the Palm Springs area on a Saturday night through May, there is a great magician table-hopping at a local restaurant and landmark of Palm Springs. It is Lyons English Grille and the magician is none other than Marvyn Roy.

After chatting a bit about a friend of both of us, he proceeded to fry everyone at the table with some great magic (at least my wife didn't ask me why it didn't look like that when I do magic - she is a compassionate person). The four of us made enough noise applauding that I think we drowned out the piano bar in the lounge area.

If there is such a thing as the Ambassador of Magic, Marvyn should be it - when he talks about magic he radiates the love of the art. After you have talked with him and then see the great performance he gives at every table (didn't see one repeat trick in about 45 minutes of watching him perform at about four other tables) you really get enthused about the art. And you can tell that he is having a great time.

All right, done gushing - check it out if you are nearby - I think you'll agree.

Don
Don Knox

Postby Doc Dixon » 03/16/10 10:19 PM

My favorite Marvyn Roy story (OK, it's my only Marvyn Roy story),

It was a minute or two before an evening show at the IBM convention in Baltimore. (I think it was 1991). Marvyn Roy is chatting with Bill Wisch about magic, specifically the Immaculate Connection effect. I happened to be standing about a foot away. Marvyn asked Bill if he knew the effect as Maryvn was starting to learn it.

Bill said "no".

Marvyn turns to me and asks, "Do you know it?"

I said "Yes, sir." He then asks me to show it to him. We start to discuss the effect. Thirty seconds later the floor lights start to go out (the show is about to start) and the small lights turn on that are on the end chair of each row. We kneel down near one of these lights and continue discussing the trick, cards in hand. All I can think is, "HOLY COW!! This is Mr. Electric and he's asking a putz like me for details on a trick."

At that point I realized something important. That's why he's a legend. He really loves this stuff.

Best,

Doc
Doc Dixon

Return to Magician's Local Hangouts