No one asked me...

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

No one asked me...

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 6:46 am

But I just thought you might get a kick about some of my opinions. Cardini and David Bamberg had the greatest msgic acts. Slydini was the best close up worker (next to my father) I ever saw, and Martin Gardner and Orson Welles were two of the most amazing people I ever met. If David Ben finishes volume two in my lifetime -- I'll add him to the list.

Re: No one asked me...

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 6:57 am

Originally posted by Vernon's son:
...Cardini and David Bamberg had the greatest msgic acts. ...
How were those guys acts to watch? Would you describe how they played to their audiences?

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » October 9th, 2006, 7:02 am

Originally posted by Vernon's son:
But I just thought you might get a kick about some of my opinions. Cardini and David Bamberg had the greatest msgic acts. Slydini was the best close up worker (next to my father) I ever saw, and Martin Gardner and Orson Welles were two of the most amazing people I ever met. If David Ben finishes volume two in my lifetime -- I'll add him to the list.
I'm a big fan of Martin Gardner's writings and find the man himself very interesting. In what way did you find him amazing?
Are you Ultramodern? Order now at http://www.retrorocketmagic.com

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 9:10 am

Martin was brilliant in every thing he ever spoke about and was the best human being I ever met.

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 9:21 am

Too bad you never got to meet Martin Gardner. He was the best human being I ever met,

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » October 9th, 2006, 9:30 am

Why do you say "was"? Isn't Martin Gardner still among us?

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 9:55 am

Yeah. I understand that Martin is still alive. When Jay Marshall died I thought all those guys from the golden days were gone. I forgot about Martin. God bless you Martin. Live long and prosper. (holding hands in proper Star Trek position)

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 11:29 am

Those of you who never aaw Cardini perform missed one of the gratest magic acts ever. The guy did the whole show wearing white cotten gloves. I doubt my Dad could have done as well and I respect my dad. Cardini was brilliant.

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 11:52 am

Martin Gardner will be 92 on October 21st. I had lunch with him in Norman, Oklahoma about a month ago and he is doing very well. Looking for a publisher for two manuscripts he has completed.
I'll phone him today to pass along the kind remarks.

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Derek, Martin Gardner was quite pleased to hear your high opinion of him. He wanted to know if you are still in East Chester and if you ever remarried...

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Martin has many scientists and mathematicians who were inspired by his writings, I was just one kid who had enough brains to know how brilliant he was. I consider myself very fortunate for having known him.

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 6:44 pm

I called Martin twice to tell him how much I thought of him. My timing was very bad. The first time his brother had just died and the second time his wife had just died.

Postby Guest » October 10th, 2006, 6:20 pm

Mr. Verner,

It's me again. Please let us know if you have a preference for how you would like to be addressed. I understand you are a retired Navy officer and my grandfather was a stickler for having his rank used when he was addressed. (He did cut us grandkids some slack.)
I wanted to let you know that there is video footage of Cardini performing a good portion of his act on the website, www.youtube.com. I thought you might enjoy seeing him again. You can also probably find quite a bit of your father and Slydini.
Mark

Postby Guest » October 10th, 2006, 8:45 pm

Mark, if it makes you feel better you can call me Petty Officer Vaughn.
Steve V

Return to “Feature Articles”