The Long and Lucky Life of Harry Lorayne

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Postby Philippe Noël » 08/11/04 10:53 AM

I have just read this article that appeared three years ago in November 2001.
Well, I think it is a passioning article about a man who lives with passion. I was however a little bit diappointed because there was nothing really new that had not being said in "Out To Lunch", Harry Lorayne column from Apocalypse. I nevertheless appreciated the photos and jon's comments of course. Talking about the photos, it's a pity that the legends are so short.
For the first photo for example, the legend says: Fred Kaps Party at Emil Loew's House, January 7, 1963. It would have be nice to know why/how that party had been organized. What trick Harry was performing for Vernon, Kaps, Diaconis on the photo? From the book Personal Secrets, I always thought it was Red & Black Fantasy.
I also do not understand why Harry did not get any money from Close-up Card Magic. Jon gives no explanations.
I also would be very interested to know what YOU think of this article.
Philippe Noël

Postby Guest » 08/24/04 11:23 PM

Originally posted by Philippe Nol:
I also do not understand why Harry did not get any money from Close-up Card Magic.
That's the business deal he cut.

Postby Guest » 09/27/04 08:12 AM

Hey Phillipe,

Harry is still alive and he's one of the friendliest people I've ever talked to. I called him one time after purchasing the entire loose-bound edition of the 20-year Apocalypse run and he said something pretty cool: I told him how I'd been reading his books since I was in high school and he said, "Wow, we've been together for a long time I guess." He seemed very humble and genuine. Concerning your question about the photo, I don't think he would be averse to you writing him a letter with maybe a copy of the picture and just ask him yourself. He lives somewhere in New York...on Jane Street, I think...Anyway, hope this helps.

Return to Feature Articles