world's best card rise - help!

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby nornando » 01/12/10 08:54 PM

My problem (huge) purchased W.B.C.R. used and guess what? the DVD that explains all is blank! Now I have the gimmick, can sort of figure it out but am baffled as to how to use without the card(s) that rise being outjogged - since the certain something doesn't go below the King's nose. Could be the gimmick, like the DVD, is wonkey but I'll never know unless someone who has, is willing to take the trouble to explain how this is supposed to work. I'll be eternally grateful for any help.
(I do know Mr. Lorayne did written instructions for the original - oh to have a copy!)
nornando

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/12/10 09:03 PM

I find nothing by Googling either WBCR or World's Best Card Rise. Are you talking about the Ted Biet card rise which has a piece of spring steel inside a small block of cards?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Christopher Lyle » 01/12/10 11:24 PM

The BEST card rise on the planet is Kundelini Rising by Jeff McBride.

Borrow a deck of cards, start clean, happens in spectator's hands, end clean, everything can be examined.

As close to real magic as you'll ever get!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
www.lylemagic.com
Columnist - The Magic Menu
Christopher Lyle

Postby Leonard Hevia » 01/12/10 11:38 PM

Richard is correct. It's Ted Biet's card rise. I used to own this effect and Nornando is in trouble without that DVD. Try loading the DVD into another, newer DVD player--it might work. Older players can be real bad at reading newer DVDs.

I didn't like this version. It scratches the backs of your playing cards.
Leonard Hevia

Postby nornando » 01/17/10 08:21 PM

Not getting a whole lot of help here, I tried the DVD in a couple of players, computers all with no luck.
I'm assuming, based on Leonards' post, that the rise happens due to friction against the card, which is the only way this thing makes sense.
Confess I'm a rising card junkie and wanted to add this to the collection, mainly because it's an offshoot of the Biet rise.
As an aside to Christopher, saw McBride do K. Rising at a lecture, he advocated doing it with only half the deck. i.e., card chosen from one half and inserted in other for the rise.
nornando

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 01/17/10 09:05 PM

What specifically is W.B.C.R. and where did you purchase it? (ie who publishes it?
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/17/10 09:28 PM

It's a method of doing the rising cards based on the Devano gimmick. Instead of a weight and pins to push the card up, it uses a small piece of spring steel that is bent straight and, when it curls, pushes the card up. The block of cards that contains it is very thin so the deck handles pretty much normally. Harry Lorayne showed this to me decades ago.

As far as buying it, a simple Google search would have located this site for you:
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Magic- ... __3452.htm
Richard Kaufman

Postby Joe Mckay » 01/18/10 07:52 AM

On Page 703 of THE PHOENIX MAGAZINE there is a note saying that the Devano Rising Cards gimmick should be credited to L. Voz Lyons. I don't know anymore than that - but, I thought this might be of interest for somebody...

Joe
Joe Mckay

Postby Leonard Hevia » 01/19/10 09:05 PM

Nornando--Have you tried to send the product back and get another one? Perhaps you can get a refund. My copy is currently held by a friend on the west coast for the next Magic Castle swap meet to unload--but I can call him and he can send it to you.
Leonard Hevia

Postby PMS » 01/23/10 01:23 PM

And you can do a card rise with a small packet of cards, no strings, no magnets, nothing to find either.
PMS

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 01/23/10 01:25 PM

PMS wrote:And you can do a card rise with a small packet of cards, no strings, no magnets, nothing to find either.

are you hinting at any particular method there?
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Leonard Hevia » 01/24/10 08:25 PM

With this method you can't hand the deck out after the effect. The method was already decribed by the Chief Genii: A block of glued cards with the spring gizmo built in. It's sharp and will scratch the back of the card that's rising.
Leonard Hevia

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 01/25/10 11:21 AM

Leonard Hevia wrote:With this method you can't hand the deck out after the effect. The method was already described by the Chief Genii: A block of glued cards with the spring gizmo built in. It's sharp and will scratch the back of the card that's rising.

That would be quite a bit to find, a block of cards with a sharp metal thingie and a scraped card, so I don't believe that's the method advertised in the post earlier.
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/25/10 11:26 AM

It IS the method. The block of cards is small enough that you can cop it.
Richard Kaufman

Postby PMS » 01/25/10 02:46 PM

And nothing "copped" either.
PMS

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 01/25/10 02:51 PM

PMS wrote:And nothing "copped" either.

If you just want an your hands version the pinky or plunger or dropping the packet can work. Not quite the volunteer holds the pack or in a tabled glass effect but it works.
Jonathan Townsend

Postby T Baxter » 01/25/10 03:57 PM

I make a rising cards based upon an old idea that most have forgotten about.

An ungimmicked wooden houlette; two panes of glass (also ungimmicked) for the front and back of the houlette, isolating the deck; a borrowed pack of cards.

One or any number of cards rise out of the center of the pack, one at a time. At any time the houlette and cards can be dis-assembled and examined, and there is nothing to be found.

No motors, threads, plungers, magnets, elastics, springs, pinky moves or electronics involved.

T. Baxter
T Baxter

Postby Jon Elion » 01/25/10 09:01 PM

Click here to see Whit Hadyn's handling of the Devano pack. There are two versions shown on this web page; watch them both!

When I saw him do it, he left the pack in the hands of spectator at the end (at least that's what the spectator saw). I don't think it gets much better than that!

J. Elion
Jon Elion

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/25/10 09:23 PM

The Devano Deck is great, but there's nothing new about letting the spectator hold the deck. The routine David Berglas uses will be in the new book. Actually he has two routines, one of which is that the spectator thinks of any card and it rises from the deck.
The only good Devano decks are made with small pins--not sticky tape.

Now Mr. Baxter's method sounds interesting.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Leonard Hevia » 01/25/10 09:23 PM

Mr. Baxter--your method sounds like the Hooker Card Rise. Since you write that, "I make a rising cards...", is this something you market and sell?
Leonard Hevia

Postby mrgoat » 01/25/10 09:32 PM

Richard Kaufman wrote:
Now Mr. Baxter's method sounds interesting.

Indeed

Tell us more Mr B
mrgoat

Postby Gerald Deutsch » 01/25/10 09:54 PM

For an impromptu method with regular cards see the Perverse Magic thread (under General below) January 1, 2008
Gerald Deutsch

Postby T Baxter » 01/25/10 11:11 PM

Having witnessed the Hooker Card Rise from a front-row seat, I can tell you that there is nothing else quite like it. Nothing even comes close.

The version that I make was taught to me by my late mentor in Canada, a man named Harry Smith. I have made some for sale in the past, but in recent years I haven't had the time to make more than a few for special friends in magic and mentalism, such as David Alexander and Derren Brown.

T. Baxter
T Baxter

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/26/10 12:17 AM

Well, I'll buy one!
Richard Kaufman

Postby David Alexander » 01/26/10 12:28 AM

Tom's description is spot on without a hint of exaggeration. The way it works is utterly reliable. I like it a lot.
David Alexander

Postby martinka » 01/26/10 01:32 AM

Sounds similar to Albert Page's Rising Cards as sold by Will Goldston. Though he used a metal Houlette that attached to your hand. Glass in front and back, the cards rise and all could be examined. No threads.

I have run across a few through the years. It is a nice effect to do.
Ted Bogusta
Martinka & Co.
wwww.martinka.com
201-444-7576
martinka

Postby T Baxter » 01/28/10 10:43 PM

Ive had a number of inquiries asking me if Id make up a few of the rising cards that I mentioned a few posts back. Ive decided that if there is sufficient interest, Ill make up 20 sets in Oak, and 5 sets in polished black Mahogany.

Heres a complete description

My late mentor ran a magic shop for several decades. One of the items that he sold in the shop was a very clever version of The Rising Cards. Over the years he devised a number of refinements to this version of The Rising Cards and began crafting his own version out of wood for a few discriminating performers. Those Rising Cards are now collectors items, highly prized by the few that own them.

Before he died, he showed me the secrets to making his version of The Rising Cards.

Heres what happens:

An un-gimmicked, beautifully finished wooden houlette is handed out for examination. Next two small glass panes (equally un-gimmicked) are handed out for examination. Finally a pack of ordinary playing cards (this can be a borrowed deck) is handed out for examination and for shuffling.

The Performer shows his hands to be empty, then takes back the cards and spreads them face down for one, two, three or more participants to freely select cards no force involved. The participants note their cards and can sign their names on the cards and then the cards are returned to the middle of the pack. (They really are left in the middle of the pack no sleights.)

The Performer drops the cards into the wooden houlette and shows it on all sides. One pane of glass is slid into the front of the houlette, the other pane into the back, isolating the cards inside of the wooden houlette. Again this is shown front and back.

The houlette is placed upon the Performers palm. The first participant names his card, and the signed card slowly rises out of the middle of the pack for of its length. The participant can remove his card.

The second participant names his card and his signed card rises from the middle of the pack just as the first card did. With this card still protruding from the pack the Performer slides the cards and the panes of glass together out of the houlette, showing all sides, and allowing the participants to wave their hands between and around the cards and houlette to prove the absence of threads, etc.

The Performer then slides the cards and panes of glass back into the houlette and allows the participant to remove his signed card.

The final participant names his card and immediately his signed card rises from the center of the pack. It continues rising, farther than the other cards, and the Performer reaches up and grasps the card just as it is about to leave the pack. He places it back into the houlette sticking out of the pack, and IMMEDIATELY hands the entire houlette/cards/panes of glass assembly to the participants for examination. No hint of a method can be found.

POINTS TO CONSIDER - NO motors, threads, elastic, loops, springs, plungers, electronics, gears, wires, extra cards, weights or pinky moves. Borrowed cards can be used. Could be done completely naked. The rate of rise of the cards is under the Performers control at all times, as is the time interval between the risings of the cards.

Included for advanced performers is my work on Think-of-a-Card, and specifically how it relates to this effect. By incorporating my methods the Performer can have an audience member merely THINK of a card in a spread deck and their un-named THOUGHT-OF card rises from the middle of the isolated pack. This out-of-print ebook previously sold on its own for $35.00.

Each Rising Card set will come in a carrying case and include a DVD that explains the history of the effect and teaches the handling of the routine, plus the bonus Think-of-a-Card version.

Price: $95.00 (U.S.) plus shipping for the Oak version, and $125.00 (U.S.) plus shipping for the Mahogany version. The Mahogany version will be limited to FIVE units.

Pre-orders will be accepted via paypal.com to me at: tombaxter@cogeco.ca on a first-come, first-serve basis. Delivery by February 28th, 2010.

Thomas Baxter
T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » 01/29/10 12:23 AM

These are going very quickly. Only one of the Mahogany sets left unspoken for. Still a number of Oak sets left.

Thanks for the enthusiastic response!

T. Baxter
T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » 01/29/10 01:06 AM

All of the mahogany card rises have been spoken for. Still some sets of the Oak Card Rises available.

T. Baxter
T Baxter

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 01/29/10 09:49 AM

Sounds like a wonderful offering :)
Jonathan Townsend

Postby T Baxter » 01/29/10 10:21 AM

Thanks, Johathan.

Very kind of you to say so.

T. Baxter
T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » 01/29/10 08:09 PM

All sets of my Rising Card in this limited run of 25 are now spoken for.

25 Rising Cards units in under 24 hours!

Thanks to all. The units will be shipped on or before February 20th.

Cheers,

T. Baxter
T Baxter

Postby David Ben » 02/04/10 06:04 PM

I imagine that Tom is selling Harry Smith's handling of the Upton Rising Cards. You will see from the link below that this trick was advertising in the March 1920 issue of Thayer's Bulletin by the Japanese Magic & Novelty Store.. Harry Smith eventually purchased this shop from Joe Whitlam. I've also included a copy of the original instructions for those who are interested in the method employed. Of course, I'm sure, as Tom indicated, he and Harry Smith added their own touches. Either way, he's the link: http://bit.ly/9CGXAK
David Ben

Postby T Baxter » 02/05/10 01:16 AM

The link has been removed at my request.

T. Baxter
T Baxter

Return to Close-Up Magic