Del Ray: The Greatest Magician You've Never Heard Of

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Joe Mckay » 12/11/09 02:58 PM

I keep hearing of books (and a DVD?) about his work. Anyone know any more about it?

Thanks for the link, Matt!

Joe
Joe Mckay

Postby Tom Frame » 12/11/09 03:10 PM

Matt,

Thanks for the article! In the mid 70s, I had the privilege of sitting at the table as Del performed his close-up miracles. That performance continues to be the most astounding magical moment that I have ever experienced.

Despite his passing, he continues to be my favorite magician. I hope that someone eventually produces a comprehensive book of his life and his magic.
Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » 12/11/09 03:11 PM

Tom Craven sells DVDs of Del's close-up and stage performances. I treasure them.
Tom Frame

Postby Tom Gilbert » 12/11/09 11:44 PM

Supposedly Del's estate is supposed to release footage of him.
Although that was announced quite a while ago..
Tom Gilbert

Postby Richard Kaufman » 12/12/09 01:46 AM

The Del Ray book is now being written by John Mohring. I'm guessing that there will be a DVD with the book that contains the best of the existing Del Ray footage.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Matthew Field » 12/12/09 05:47 AM

Bits of Del Ray material hyave surfaced and then been withdrawn from the marketplace, like the Tom Craven DVD and another of Del Ray on stage. Apparently this was footage from one of several camcorders filming an event which was not authorized for release on its own.

Del Ray was an unbelievable performer. One of the great thrills in my life was showing the Craven DVD to Alex Elmsley, at one of John Derris's magic gatherings, and watching the look on his face. He loved the magic.

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Postby Doc Dixon » 12/12/09 07:49 AM

Years ago I was working a comedy club in OH. I'm in the hotel hallway and walked by the maid who had cleaned my room. She said to me, "Are you a magician?" Obviously she had seen some props lying around my room.

I said "Yes."

She said, "My brother is a magician."

At this point I'm thinking: No, your brother isn't a magician. He's just a nice enough guy who does a trick with 21 cards. But trying to be polite I ask, "Oh, I know a few magicians in the area. What's his name?"

She replies, "Del Ray."

After I had a mini-stroke I stammered, "Do you know how great your brother is? He's a hero to hundreds of magicians. He's simply the best."

She politely acknowledged my response, but to be honest I can't remember exactly what she said. It was like walking through Gotham city and running into Batman's sister.
Doc Dixon

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes