academic/scholarly paper by R. Paul Wilson

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Postby Bill Mullins » 11/30/09 12:02 PM

Bill Mullins

Postby Jim Martin » 11/30/09 12:30 PM

Thanks Bill - looks very interesting.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO
Jim Martin

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 11/30/09 01:02 PM

I liked the summary of their series "The Real Hustle" and review of the scams they demonstrated in that show.

The standards for writing a science paper must be different over there. For example one ordinarily works from published precedents. Citing Cialdini on page 20 of a 22 page paper on methods of achieving compliance and only mentioning one of Mitnick's findings rather than focusing on how to conform his actions to those of street scams seems a little odd to me.

Either way it makes a good publicity piece for the authors and the TV show. Kudos.
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Mark.Lewis » 11/30/09 01:57 PM

That programme is the biggest load of old hooey I have ever seen in my life. Completely inaccurate and a load of tosh. The programme on the Jam Auction for example was the biggest load of nonsense I have ever seen. Absolute garbage and they didn't even get the name right. It wasn't the "Jam Auction" they were trying to debunk. It was the "Run Out" and the participants in that show didn't know what they were talking about.

What we call in the business as "half wide mugs". I bet they don't know what means and I am not going to enlighten them either.
Mark.Lewis

Postby Denis Behr » 11/30/09 02:56 PM

Will there be a chapter on Jam Auctions in your book?
Denis Behr

Postby Mark.Lewis » 11/30/09 04:19 PM

Not a chapter but certainly considerable reference to it in my Blackpool chapters. The two Blackpool chapters are entitled "University of Evil" and "More evil at the university"

In my day Blackpool was a very wicked place and for all I know still is.

The best source however on the "Run Out" (the British term for "Jam Auction") is "The Hard Sell" by Colin Clark and Trevor Pinch and I have mentioned this before. Professor Clark has in fact made a brief appearance on this very forum. Methinks the "Not So Real Hustle" team would have done themselves a favour if they had read this book before they put out their rather silly programme.
Mark.Lewis

Return to Link Watch