13 Steps To Mentalism on DVD - Coming Soon

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby SteveP » 09/25/09 02:50 PM

There hasn't been any news about this new DVD set on this forum, so I thought I would start a topic in case some of you weren't aware.

Over the summer, Richard Osterlind & L&L Publishing have put Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism to DVD. Here's what Osterlind posted on another forum:

We covered every chapter in order and performed approximately 1/3 of the effects from the book. I choose those which I considered to be most practical and representative of the whole. Louiss aim was to have the set stand on its own (which it does), but I, of course, would still prefer the student work with the book hand-in-hand along with the DVDs.

To answer your question, yes, it I consider it an in-depth teaching with theory. Each step will have a discussion section with Jim and me, followed by some effects from that section and a discussion of each one and how it relates to the concept of that chapter. The menu will be very user friendly so that you can go to whatever section or effect you wish to view.

I have also tried to offer some new ideas and material that falls into the scheme of Corindas thinking. Some things have changed and improved over 50 years and we wanted these DVDs to be timeless. On the other hand, most of the material has withstood the test of time and I tried to present it as Corinda wrote it.

The set will probably contain 6 long discs and be very reasonably priced.

I just posted a teaser video (not really a preview) on L&L's site:
http://www.llpub.com/2009/09/25/corindas-13-steps-to-mentalism-dvds-with-richard-osterlind/

You can get the latest news by going to http://www.llpub.com and subscribing to the RSS feed, joining the email newsletter or following L&L on Twitter.
SteveP

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/25/09 04:56 PM

Did L&L purchase the rights to the book from D. Robbins and Co., the current copyright holders?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Jim Sisti » 09/25/09 05:28 PM

Actually, Robbins owns the U.S. rights; Martin MacMillan of International Magic in the UK owns everything else in connection with this book. Paul Fried of D. Robbins was kind enough to send us in Martin's direction when we first inquired about doing this project.

So the short answer is yes, arrangements were made with all parties, including Tony Corinda, regarding the video rights. It should go without saying (but apparently not, I guess) that Richard and I, nor L&L Publishing, would have proceeded without the proper permissions.
Jim Sisti

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/25/09 06:09 PM

Just curious.
Richard Kaufman

Postby AJM » 09/25/09 06:09 PM

Jim - whoops, don't think your last sentence reads the way you intended.

On a separate note - I plan to add a twist to the current trend by turning a classic DVD into a book (or perhaps a short leaflet if it's a one trick DVD.) That way the book snobs, the tortured artistes and those with far too much time on their hands can have something to agonise over for the next few years.

But which DVD would I choose?
Do classic DVDs exist (that didn't originally appear in book form)?
Answers please to the Genii Forum (and make it quick - I have a book to write after all!)

Andrew
AJM

Postby Jim Sisti » 09/25/09 06:47 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, Andrew. I should have said "wouldn't have proceeded..."

Good luck with your book...
Jim Sisti

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/25/09 07:24 PM

There has never been a good book on the Pass. Frankly, I don't think one could be done--and believe me, I've thought about it. Clearly a visual medium is the best way to communicate that sleight in all its forms.
Richard Kaufman

Postby SteveP » 10/02/09 03:33 PM

I just put the Corinda set on L&L's site.

You can check it out the at http://www.llpub.com

The home page will show you 2 demo videos which are two complete routines.

Here is the link to the product page so you read all the details about the set:

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2646

For the next week, L&L has special pre-publication pricing - $99.95. After next Friday, the price will be $119.95
SteveP

Return to Buzz