Uri Geller bibliography - a request

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Postby Steve Knight » 09/13/09 03:23 PM

I'd like ask a small favour of the members here. Due to technical problems my website, Uri Geller - a bibliography (www.zem.demon.co.uk) has been down for some time and as a consequence has slipped down the rankings almost into obscurity. At one time it was number three on Google when searching for Uri Geller. If people could just visit the site and perhaps have a quick browse around then hopefully it will be picked up on Google's radar once more.

To visit the site via Google please go to:
Uri geller bibliography via Google

Many thanks.

Steve Knight
Steve Knight

Postby Bob Cunningham » 09/13/09 04:46 PM

HI Steve,

I am not sure that having people go to our site will help much. Google has no direct way of know how many people visit a site. Of course they can see when you search for a site through Google. But, Google does not appear to take this into account when they rank a site.

So what makes a site show up on the first page of a google search?

No one really knows the details of the Google search algorithm - it's all "Top Secret". However, we can deduce several things about the Google search algorithm. First, it likes stability. So if you register your domain name for 5 years you have more credibility then if you only register it for 1 year. The fact that you site was down for a season means that for a season Google will not like you.

Second, Google page ranks behave like High School kinds rank popularity. What makes a kid in High School "cool"? If other "cool" kids hang out with him then he must be "cool". In the world of Google, if a popular sites links to you, that implies that you must be popular as well.

So putting it all together, I think your best bet is to get your own domain site (right now you appear to be hosted on your ISP's domain), make sure that your domain is registered for a long period, and get other popular sites to link to your site by including your url whenever you post in a forum (like Genii).

There are other things that you can do to raises your Google visibility, but if you try those three things first I think you will be pleased with the results.

/Bob
Bob Cunningham

Postby Steve Knight » 09/16/09 03:12 AM

Hi Bob,

You're undoubtedly right; there's a lot more I could do along the lines you mentioned. Because being hosted by my ISP was free and convenient I never bothered to register my own domain. Perhaps after 8+ years it's time to reconsider. As a rule I have tended to include a link in my signature (I think), at least on most forums. I won't omit it now!

Steve
Uri Geller - a bibliography : http://www.zem.demon.co.uk
Steve Knight

Postby mrgoat » 09/16/09 04:37 AM

Steve Knight wrote:I'd like ask a small favour of the members here. Due to technical problems my website, Uri Geller - a bibliography (www.zem.demon.co.uk) has been down for some time and as a consequence has slipped down the rankings almost into obscurity. At one time it was number three on Google when searching for Uri Geller. If people could just visit the site and perhaps have a quick browse around then hopefully it will be picked up on Google's radar once more.

To visit the site via Google please go to:
Uri geller bibliography via Google

Many thanks.

Steve Knight

Mr Knight,

The number of people that visit your site has ABSOLUTELY NO influence when google calculates where to place you in the results.

Do this

a) buy a good domain. This is the NUMBER ONE, MOST IMPORTANT thing to do. www.urigellerbibliography.com is available and will cost you 10 bucks for two years. It has the 3 important keywords people may type into google trying to find your sort of site.

b) Make sure the 'title tags' on the pages are relevant and keyword rich. "Uri Geller Bibliography | The beginning" for example. Each page should have its own unique title tag

c) Get inbound links from relevant sites. Contact other sites to do with Geller and ask them to link to you.

That really is the essential basics. The other MAJOR factor is frequently updated, relevant content.

Hope that helps

Damian
mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » 09/16/09 04:41 AM

Steve Knight wrote:Hi Bob,

You're undoubtedly right; there's a lot more I could do along the lines you mentioned. Because being hosted by my ISP was free and convenient I never bothered to register my own domain. Perhaps after 8+ years it's time to reconsider. As a rule I have tended to include a link in my signature (I think), at least on most forums. I won't omit it now!

Steve
Uri Geller - a bibliography : http://www.zem.demon.co.uk

Actually, most forums have 'nofollow' set on sig links. And even if they don't, the value google places on them is practically zero.

Get a good domain, get good title tags, get good backlinks, update your content often.

That really is all you need to do. Google isn't stupid. It isn't fooled by someone doing 'tricks' like all of a sudden 500 forum posts having a sig in them making a difference.
mrgoat

Postby Bob Cunningham » 09/16/09 10:19 AM

mrgoat wrote: Google isn't stupid. It isn't fooled by someone doing 'tricks' like all of a sudden 500 forum posts having a sig in them making a difference.

I could not agree more. Trying to "game" the system is a really bad idea with Google. The only thing worse than not being on page one of Google is not being on Google at all!!

Having said that, I have had a lot of success by having my clients post relevant and meaningful information on blog sites and having those sites link back to their sites. This is a very effective technique and is not "gaming" Google.

A number of my clients are attorneys. Getting an attorney to show up on page one for a search like "Dallas attorney" is much more difficult than "Uri Geller Biography". Creating content on popular sites and linking that back to your site works!

Damain raises great points and gives some great advice (especially on choosing a good domain name). One point that he raises that I had not considered was the "nofollow" tag. If the magic sites that you post to include the "nofollow" tag (as this one does) then find a site that will accept an article from you. There are many sites that are looking for content. Find a few and write some articles for them.

Good luck,

Bob
Bob Cunningham

Return to Link Watch