The "Magic" of Slydini vs The "Best" of Slydini

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby Rennie » 08/26/09 09:43 PM

Can anyone fill me in on the details of Karl Fulves 1st printing titled "The Magic of Slydini and More"(2 volumes). I was under the impression Supreme magic put a halt on publication with that title. He then changed the title to "The Best of Slydini and More".My question being, what is the story of what happened, and was it Supreme who stopped it, and how many issues of "The Magic of" were printed?
Thanks for any info..
Both are identical except for the title?
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!
Rennie

Postby Joe Pecore » 08/26/09 10:24 PM

From what I read Karl Fulves originally titled it "The Magic of Slydini ... and More". But, because the Ganson book was still being published in Great Britain by Supreme Magic, it was recalled and re-printed with new covers replacing the word "More" with "Best" as "The Best of Slydini ... and More". It was not known how many of the first titles were sold before the recall, making them of special interest to the collectors.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.
Joe Pecore

Postby Bill Mullins » 08/26/09 11:07 PM

Karl Fulves is something of a mystery man, but isn't there a photo of him in front of the book?
Bill Mullins

Postby Matthew Field » 08/27/09 05:13 AM

There's a photo of Karl on the front of the Tannen's New Stars of Magic trick "Technicolor Cards".

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Postby Rennie » 09/01/09 07:45 PM

Found a little info on the two volume set by Karl Fulves,
The Supreme Magic Co. of England threatened suit if the title was not changed. Consequently, only around 125 copies survived as "The Magic of Slydini...And More".
Generally can be found in a price range of $125.00 - $300.00

So if you have them, keep them.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!
Rennie

Postby Pickpocketman » 03/06/10 01:07 PM

Hi,

I was working in the stock room at Tannen's when they published that book. The leather bound books came in with the incorrect title. They were supposed to be, "The Best of Slydini...and More," but of course, the title said, "The Magic of Slydini...and More."

As I recall, Tony Spina was pretty upset. I was there when he found out about the mistake.

If I remember correctly, the 100 or "The Magic of Slydini...and More," were the leather bound limited edition of 100 numbered, signed copies.

Joey
Pickpocketman

Postby Magic Newswire » 03/06/10 01:16 PM

The Fulves Slydini set that I have is actually titled : The Magical World of Slydini. Copyright 1979 by Tannen's Inc and printed by Robbins EZ Magic. What I have just discovered is that the Text volume is actually Signed by Slydini. How'd I miss that for all these years?

Magic Newswire

Postby El Mystico » 03/06/10 01:24 PM

Dodd;
a) Magical World was something else! Similar looking but different content.

b) It probably isnt signed by Slydini. A number of them (maybe all?) had an 'autograph' printed in..not sure why. If it is black, you've probably got a preprinted signature. Of course, if it is in blue ink, you are probably OK.

I think Richard has written about this here before.
El Mystico

Postby Magic Newswire » 03/06/10 01:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I have looked closer and it appears that you are correct and it is printed in. ;-)

It is funny though what I have found looking through my books. For example, I have a copy of the New Magic Of Japan from 1988 that is signed by both RK & Hiroyuki Sakai and is #1 of a 50 copy deluxe edition. Think I got it on eBay in the early days and only discovered this a year ago.
Magic Newswire

Postby Don Hendrix » 03/06/10 01:57 PM

OK, so what is the difference with "The Magical World of Slydini", in two volumes, one with text and one with pictures?
Don Hendrix

Postby Richard Kaufman » 03/06/10 03:08 PM

You are confusing two different sets of books.

I was at Tannen's the day The Magic of Slydini... and More came out and have my autographed copies to prove it. This was retitled The Best of Slydini ... and More after a toothless threat from Supreme Magic. You can't copyright the title of a book.

The Magical World of Slydini is the SECOND set done by Tannen's: completely different content.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » 03/06/10 03:13 PM

And Dodd's book is NOT signed by Slydini. Some idiot decided it would be nice to print Slydini's signature on the page--thereby confusing everyone for decades to come who thinks the signature is original. IT'S NOT.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Magic Newswire » 03/06/10 05:42 PM

Thanks again Richard. Having a look at it in decent light makes it obvious that it is printed and not hand signed.
Magic Newswire

Postby Arthur Martello » 03/10/10 08:02 AM

Pickpocketman wrote:Hi,

I was working in the stock room at Tannen's when they published that book. The leather bound books came in with the incorrect title. They were supposed to be, "The Best of Slydini...and More," but of course, the title said, "The Magic of Slydini...and More."

As I recall, Tony Spina was pretty upset. I was there when he found out about the mistake.

If I remember correctly, the 100 or "The Magic of Slydini...and More," were the leather bound limited edition of 100 numbered, signed copies.

Joey

This has always been a puzzle to me, as I have one of the original "The Magic of Slydini and More" volumes that eventually became "The Best of...." It took me some time before I found out what had happened and that the 2 volume set that I had was in fact going to become quite rare and hard to find. There are photos of Fulves, Tannen, Spina Manfredi and even the printer, David Mack. but it is not numbered and certainly not signed.
Arthur Martello

Postby Richard Kaufman » 03/10/10 11:15 AM

No, it is not signed or numbered, or bound in leather.

Only the second set, The Magical World of Slydini, was issued in a leather bound set that was signed and numbered.
Richard Kaufman

Return to Alternative Media