Why do people think it's okay to upload magic DVDs?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Bob Farmer » 06/08/09 05:38 PM

I suspect the information-is-free crowd is made up of people who have never produced any information worth paying for. They seem to be top-heavy with academics and others with a guaranteed income who couldn't get arrested in the commercial marketplace. Perhaps if they took their own advice -- worked for free -- they might have a different view.
Bob Farmer
 
Posts: 1661
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Short card above selection.

Postby Dave Shepherd » 06/08/09 05:48 PM

Matt Sedlak wrote:Second, if I put it out for free that doesn't mean I am not getting anything in return. Having other magicians possibly use the material or, even better, work on and improve it is a far greater reward for me than a few dollars made from selling it. Not everything in life is about money.

So how do you pay your bills?

My mind is boggled by this notion that we should all just share all our creations with the world because there are open-source software projects around.

Most of those developers of open-source software are people who are gainfully employed by places like MIT. They are paid (by somebody) for their brainwork. If they aren't paid by you, it doesn't mean they aren't paid.

How does come to be that intellectual property became worthless (in monetary terms) during the last 10-12 years of the Internet explosion? Sorry, I'm about as plugged in as anybody I know, but I just don't get this.

A technology has emerged that ENABLES people to take others' intellectual property for free, so a new philosophy is hobbled together clumsily by those who want to redistribute information without permission or license. That new philosophy is called "Information wants to be free."

News for you: information doesn't want anything. If I create something and distribute it for pay, and you take it and give it to other people, you are a thief. Plain and simple.

Cut this "free information" crap. It's just an after-the-fact rationalization because P2P software exists. Nothing more.
Dave Shepherd
 
Posts: 423
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: 15 miles w. of Washington, DC

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 06/08/09 06:00 PM

Is this what some folks call pounding sand or yelling at the street?

Why would one wish to rant here where folks are willing to buy items and talk directly to the innovators and authors and publishers - rather than on the places were the objectionable behavior is happening?

How are you doing in reasoning with the johnscate? If you can convince one such person that it's better for them and all in the long run to do something else maybe they can sway others as well.

Or you can type away here and risk luring over the /b/tards and worse.
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend
 
Posts: 6606
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Westchester, NY

Postby Tim Ellis » 06/08/09 06:18 PM

Each DVD Torrent has a thread where people can post comments.

The comments are usually
"Nice upload, thank you!"
and
"john,your uploads are truely helpful. if any one have, please upload
Paul Potassy, 1,2&3
Fielding West 1&2
Nathan Burton
Mark Wilson on Illusions vol 1 , 2 & 3
Funny Business - Niagara Comedy Magic Seminar 2007
NORMANSELL ANDREW : 100 % COMMERCIAL COMEDY STAND-UP
Martin Sanderson Corporate close up
Harry Allen Comedy Bits vol,1 &2
Henrry Evans The other side of Illussion volumen 1 2 & 3
--scripting Magic by Pete McCabe
--Magic At The Edge by Jeff McBride
--Exploring Magical Presentations by Eugene Burger
--Stand-Up: A Professional Guide to Comedy Magic(book)"

I posted my comment in the thread, yesterday I had a reply from another user which talked about how he'd been a magician for 25 years and earned every cent from magic, he used to buy ever video that came out and 98% were great. Now 98% are rubbish and he thanks johnscate and Demonoid because he can preview them and buy what he likes, thus avoiding the rubbish DVDs. He pointed out that after viewing my DVD for free, he went off and bought it - but then did admit he was probably in the minority.

I replied to his post but oddly enough all of those posts have been deleted and all that is left is about a dozen
"Thanks Johnscate!"
comments.

I also received a PM from a Demonoid moderator saying:

"Please refrain from posting in the comments about any issue you may have with it being on the site.

If you can prove you are the copyright holder for the DVD in question, send an email to admin@demonoid.com with the details and request for it to be taken down.

Just curious, is that all you joined the site for, to post comments on torrents that may have your content ?"
www.AustralianMagician.com
www.TimEllisMagic.com
www.MagicUnlimited.com

User avatar
Tim Ellis
 
Posts: 829
Joined: 07/11/08 04:08 PM
Location: Victoria

Postby Tim Ellis » 06/08/09 06:22 PM

Jonathan & Matt

People who are into uploads arleady know about Demonoid.

It's the people who are willing to buy the items who are not aware of the EXTENT to which this piracy is going on.

I truly believe that if enough people were made aware of the damage this sort of thing is doing to our industry they might take a stand and do something about it.

Yes Jonathon, I am also ranting "on the places were the objectionable behavior is happening".

They don't like me talking about it in their forums either.
www.AustralianMagician.com
www.TimEllisMagic.com
www.MagicUnlimited.com

User avatar
Tim Ellis
 
Posts: 829
Joined: 07/11/08 04:08 PM
Location: Victoria

Postby Matt Sedlak » 06/08/09 06:26 PM

Most people who develop material and end up putting it out don't make a living putting out magic for other magicians. Some of them make a living actually performing magic but most have other jobs that they earn their living through.

"My mind is boggled by this notion that we should all just share all our creations with the world because there are open-source software projects around." - Where did I ever say that because of open-source we should share our creations. I'm pretty sure I didn't. I said that information should be free and cited open-source as an example of free information. I never said that one thing implied another.

"News for you: information doesn't want anything. If I create something and distribute it for pay, and you take it and give it to other people, you are a thief. Plain and simple." - I'm also pretty sure I said that I don't support taking something that is put on the market for sale and redistributing it for free. Just checked...I did! Protip: reading someone's post before commenting on it is generally a good idea.

I've said a number of times in this thread that I don't support the file-sharing of material that was not already put out to be distributed for free. I also said that it is a rampant part of today's society and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. That doesn't mean that I believe it is right. The way things should be and the way things are tend to be very different. You can complain about how the people doing it are breaking the law (they are!) but that doesn't change the fact they are doing it. If all people who are affected by it do is complain and fail to adapt then they will end up suffering. Yes it is unfortunate that they have to adapt due to illegal activities but that doesn't change the fact that they have to adapt.

"Most of those developers of open-source software are people who are gainfully employed by places like MIT. They are paid (by somebody) for their brainwork. If they aren't paid by you, it doesn't mean they aren't paid." - Even if we accept that as true it is still free to me, the end user. Information should be freely available to those who want to use it. Information is different from the latest song, or the hottest new movie. Anyway, I know of many people who work on open-source projects, (or even any kind of project..doesn't have to be software related) who do it because they love it. They are not compensated financially in any way and some of them are proud of that very fact.

I've also said that I respect those who disagree with me and I don't consider someone a greedy bastard just because they choose to charge for their creations. I respect that in a free market society people can have different opinions about the value of things. That I would choose to release something for free has to do with my own personal worldview and nothing to do with whatever you are trying to say it has to do with. I get more benefit from the non-financial aspects of creating things. Others don't. To each their own.

I don't download magic, music, movies, books, software, etc. illegally. In many cases there simply is no need to anyway, even for those who are of a mind to do so. You can continue to disagree with me if you want to. It is your right. But if you are going to do so at least disagree with things I've actually said or stand for and not things you decided to put in my mouth.
Last edited by Matt Sedlak on 06/08/09 06:45 PM, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: their =/= there
Matt Sedlak
 
Posts: 128
Joined: 04/30/09 08:37 PM

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 06/08/09 06:30 PM

That was kind of the mod at demonid to inform you of the process to get items removed. Maybe Bob Farmer would know what's involved in proper language to inform the mods of items which are infringing.
Jonathan Townsend
 
Posts: 6606
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Westchester, NY

Postby Tom Stone » 06/08/09 06:56 PM

Jonathan Townsend wrote:That was kind of the mod at demonid to inform you of the process to get items removed. Maybe Bob Farmer would know what's involved in proper language to inform the mods of items which are infringing.

Legal lingo will probably not have as much effect as putting a humanistic and empathic slant to it.
Just tell the mod the facts: you are a single individual creator who make everything yourself. There is no big corporation backing you up, and the profit is not that big, and that the torrent of your DVD is really hurting you personally.
...There are others who have had success with a personal approach like this.
User avatar
Tom Stone
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: 01/18/08 01:00 PM
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Postby Richard Kaufman » 06/08/09 07:04 PM

Well, I sent them an e-mail at the correct address stating that I'm the owner of the copyrights on my videos--someone tell me if they remove them from the website.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
User avatar
Richard Kaufman
 
Posts: 20471
Joined: 07/18/01 12:00 PM
Location: Washington DC

Postby Dustin Stinett » 06/08/09 07:11 PM

I have decidedafter some thought and counselthat I would indeed delete the link to the site. Im sure those who need to get to the site to have their items removed can find it. Or Im certain Tim will gladly help. I just dont think that weThe Genii Forumshould make it easy to get to. After all, as Tim said, those who are into uploads already know about the site. So why educate the blissfully ignorant?

Thanks,
Dustin
User avatar
Dustin Stinett
 
Posts: 5756
Joined: 07/22/01 12:00 PM
Location: Southern California

Postby Tim Ellis » 06/08/09 10:18 PM

Matt said "If all people who are affected by it do is complain and fail to adapt then they will end up suffering."

I don't agree Matt. That's like saying "People are shooting other people in the street. It's illegal, but not going to stop in a hurry, we should adapt by all buying bullet-proof vests or not going out."

Rubbish!

If people are doing things that are illegal we need to make sure the law is enforced, not let the law-breakers continue on their merry way.



Dustin - while I respect your idea to delete the link, I posted it because I wasn't fully outraged until I visited that site and actually saw what was going on for myself. Once I saw the scope of the piracy of just ONE PERSON I felt I needed to stand up and make my objection known.

I think a lot of people feel we're making a big fuss over nothing, just a couple of kids swapping files, like magicians do with DVDs and books at magic clubs.

It's not the same. It's criminal activity that's flourishing because the law can't do anything about it until people make complaints.

With James from Black's Magic we have managed to close down a lot of magic file-sharing sites already. It may not be possible to stop, but we can slow it down.


As to the argument "It's great that file-sharing allows me to preview DVDs before I decide to buy them." Yes, you can test drive a Mercedes before buying it, but the decision to let you test drive it is at the discretion of the owner of the car, not some anonymous third party who shows you howe to hot-wire it.
www.AustralianMagician.com
www.TimEllisMagic.com
www.MagicUnlimited.com

User avatar
Tim Ellis
 
Posts: 829
Joined: 07/11/08 04:08 PM
Location: Victoria

Postby Ted M » 06/09/09 12:44 PM

Practically speaking, preventing copying in the digital age is pretty much hopeless, massively expensive and impractical without the apparatus of a totalitarian police-state.

Is anyone familiar with an alternative business model for publishing which acknowledges that published works will be endlessly copied after their release, and so requires all payment up front prior to release? After the work is released, there is no control over it -- it may be freely copied by those who paid for its release, and also by those who did not. This post-release situation is of course the same situation we already see today, but with the payment model shifted to a point in time before free copies are available.

There are a few names for this model: Fund and Release, or Threshold Pledge, or the Street Performer Protocol. Whatever the name, it is described like so:


There is an alternative. Using the logic of a street performer, the author goes directly to the readers before the book is published; perhaps even before the book is written. The author [...] makes a public statement on the order of:

"When I get $100,000 in donations, I will release the next novel in this series."

Readers can go to the author's Web site, see how much money has already been donated, and donate money to the cause of getting his novel out. Note that the author doesn't care who pays to get the next chapter out; nor does he care how many people read the book that didn't pay for it. He just cares that his $100,000 pot gets filled. When it does, he publishes the next book. In this case "publish" simply means "make available," not "bind and distribute through bookstores." The book is made available, free of charge, to everyone: those who paid for it and those who did not.


More details and nuance of the Fund and Release/Street Performer Protocol are at:

http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bi ... ew/673/583
Ted M
 
Posts: 557
Joined: 01/24/08 01:00 PM
Location: Madison, WI

Postby CraigMitchell » 06/09/09 02:04 PM

The Fund and Release is an interesting concept ... has this been used successfully anywhere ?

Perhaps we need an 'itunes' of magic ... where convenience and simplicity of a 'paid service' outweighs the desire for people to pirate items via slow and dodgy torrent links et al.
User avatar
CraigMitchell
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Magic

Postby Naphtalia » 06/09/09 03:05 PM

Ted M wrote:Practically speaking, preventing copying in the digital age is pretty much hopeless, massively expensive and impractical without the apparatus of a totalitarian police-state.



We don't need a totalitarian police-state. We just need to up the possibility of getting caught, prosecuted and fined in accordance with the laws that are already on the books. If the fines are sufficient, we could fund the group that investigates and prosecutes.

Go after the folks who download illegally. We won't get everybody, but as it starts to be a risk, people will consider whether it's worthwhile or not.

Go after the sites that provide copyrighted materials to which they do not have rights.

Personally, I love the idea of an itunes sort of site for magic - a new way for people to get the material they need and for the creators to get compensation.

Naphtalia
Naphtalia


Impropriety is the soul of wit.
Naphtalia
 
Posts: 109
Joined: 01/30/08 01:00 PM
Location: Southern California

Postby Jeff Haas » 06/09/09 04:05 PM

I think that Theory 11, Dan & Dave, Joshua Jay and others are already building the magic equivalents of iTunes.
Jeff Haas
 
Posts: 919
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: San Mateo, CA

Postby Joe Pecore » 06/09/09 04:23 PM

Craig Mitchell wrote:The Fund and Release is an interesting concept ... has this been used successfully anywhere?


Stephen King tried something similar in 2000 for his novel The Plant. He put the first chapter on his website for download by anyone and if most payed him $1 for it, he would release more chapters the same way.

The limit was set at 75% of payers versus downloaders. The rate of paying customers decreased over time, but the first parts were over the limit and six chapters were published (making up the first somewhat self-contained part of the novel).
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.
User avatar
Joe Pecore
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Northern Virginia

Postby Efendi Kwok » 06/10/09 11:55 PM

Joe Pecore wrote:Stephen King tried something similar in 2000 for his novel The Plant. He put the first chapter on his website for download by anyone and if most payed him $1 for it, he would release more chapters the same way.

The limit was set at 75% of payers versus downloaders. The rate of paying customers decreased over time, but the first parts were over the limit and six chapters were published (making up the first somewhat self-contained part of the novel).


And the bottom line ...

----------------------
...
...
According to King's representatives, the venture was a failure. The project was ended, they claimed, because of a lack of sufficient payment, and a public that could not be trusted with the honor system. Some even claimed that this represented the commercial infeasibility of web publishing.

However, fans and readers claimed the idea was a success, and that it was made infeasible for other reasons, particularly by fact of its high pricing for an inconsistent product. King and his publisher, citing dissatisfaction with the percent of paying readers, raised the cost of each installment to a high of 7 dollars (for 13 installments, or $91 USD total) which only increased criticism and decreased demand.
Too much browsing, too much reading, too much learning, yet NOT MUCH practice ! *sigh*
User avatar
Efendi Kwok
 
Posts: 38
Joined: 01/22/09 10:22 PM
Location: Singapore

Postby mrgoat » 06/11/09 08:09 AM

Tim Ellis wrote:Matt said "If all people who are affected by it do is complain and fail to adapt then they will end up suffering."

I don't agree Matt. That's like saying "People are shooting other people in the street. It's illegal, but not going to stop in a hurry, we should adapt by all buying bullet-proof vests or not going out."

Rubbish!

If people are doing things that are illegal we need to make sure the law is enforced, not let the law-breakers continue on their merry way.


Interesting points.

However, few things to bear in mind.

a) You will never, ever, ever stop piracy. That's a given. Piracy has been around since the printing press was invented. In fact, the printing press was initially thought of as a piracy device. The very nature of P2P means that it can't be stopped. So you're wasting your time.

b) Piracy increase sales. http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/ipp ... 1456e.html

So I agree with the point that you have to adapt or you will die. Firing off pissy letters to torrent site owners will do absolutely nothing. Cut off one head, and the hydra simply regrows another. And it's catagorically proven that MOANING about piracy increases it. Simply look for the increase in traffic for the piratebay during their recent court trial.

Why not use the energy being wasted fighting piracy in coming up with something new? Reznor gave away his album and made 750k in 3 days. How? Selling 'undownloadable' things, making them limited edition, etc.

Groundbreaking.

What could magic publishers do like that?

OK, you can put in a specially printed card, or gaff or something...what else? As magicians, we're unique in the fact that you NEED 'stuff' to use the product. Music you just listen to. Films you just watch...

I think that's a MUCH more interesting and USEFUL discussion that bitching about 14 year olds who WOULD NEVER BUY THE PRODUCT ANYWAY pirating something.
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby mrgoat » 06/11/09 08:12 AM

Efendi Kwok wrote:
Joe Pecore wrote:Stephen King tried something similar in 2000 for his novel The Plant. He put the first chapter on his website for download by anyone and if most payed him $1 for it, he would release more chapters the same way.

The limit was set at 75% of payers versus downloaders. The rate of paying customers decreased over time, but the first parts were over the limit and six chapters were published (making up the first somewhat self-contained part of the novel).


And the bottom line ...


According to King's representatives, the venture was a failure. The project was ended, they claimed, because of a lack of sufficient payment, and a public that could not be trusted with the honor system. Some even claimed that this represented the commercial infeasibility of web publishing.

However, fans and readers claimed the idea was a success, and that it was made infeasible for other reasons, particularly by fact of its high pricing for an inconsistent product. King and his publisher, citing dissatisfaction with the percent of paying readers, raised the cost of each installment to a high of 7 dollars (for 13 installments, or $91 USD total) which only increased criticism and decreased demand.



That was 9 years ago. Do you not think the internet, ebook publishing, willingness to pay for online content, broadband adoption etc has altered just a tad over the last 9 years?

I don't see the King example as even vaguely relevant today.
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby mrgoat » 06/11/09 08:25 AM

Naphtalia wrote:
We don't need a totalitarian police-state. We just need to up the possibility of getting caught, prosecuted and fined in accordance with the laws that are already on the books. If the fines are sufficient, we could fund the group that investigates and prosecutes.


Thing is, how do you do that? As I'm sure you know, you can't PROVE anyone has downloaded ANYTHING really. This is why there hasn't been one case actually go to court. The majority who get RIAA letters have settled out of fear.

All you can do is log the IP address of a router where someone has downloaded a file PURPORTING to be something illegal. So, if you have unsecured wifi, that could be anyone at all. It is no proof. The filename is no proof.

So, the only solution is low-level packet sniffing. This means that every packet of information you send or receive over the internet is examined by 'the authorities' and decided to be illegal or legal.

Sound like a good idea, or a massive invasion of privacy? It really is the ONLY technical way of doing this.

Naphtalia wrote:Go after the folks who download illegally. We won't get everybody, but as it starts to be a risk, people will consider whether it's worthwhile or not.


Sadly, history proves you to be wrong on this one. Massive fines from the RIAA has done nothing at all to disuade movie, music and software piracy. Magicians would act differently to these other file sharers because...

Naphtalia wrote:Go after the sites that provide copyrighted materials to which they do not have rights.


So you'll be going after google then?

search for ANY popular magic title on google and add .torrent to the search query. Lawks a mercy! Hundreds of links to pirated content.

Naphtalia wrote:Personally, I love the idea of an itunes sort of site for magic - a new way for people to get the material they need and for the creators to get compensation.


That would be great. Few things. iTunes music store worked for a number of reasons. a) the ipod. It was the music and the device together that make iTunes Store work. b) Price. It was deemed a reasonable price at 99 cents per song. c) Unbundling tracks. Letting people buy individual tracks rather than a whole album massively increased digital sales.

I'm not saying you couldn't do a magic download store. But I doubt it would reach the impact of iTunes.

However, if magic publishers stepped vaguely into the online era, and more aped the adult movie model, it might be interesting.

What online streaming services are there for magic? Heck even L&L's site is pathetic compared to the big adult sites. Why?

Would offering punters the content they want, in a medium they want at a price they want be THAT hard to do?

No.

I think that magic publishers (no offence Mr K) are like the big 5 music labels. Old fashioned and arrogant. Think that they know best, and seem to be almost actively ignoring the internet as a distribution medium.

Look what happened to the music labels...

This is all obvious. Netflix = good. Blockbuster = screwed. iTunes = good. Tower Records = out of business.

All I think needs to happen is a site needs to launch that is a 'gatherer' of content. Just like iTunes. An aggregator. Go to L&L and the others and agree a fee, put up a site, sell the content. DRM free in a variety of file formats. And price it sensibly.

Why should you have to buy the whole Lennert Green video if all you want is one trick from it?

Why can you not just buy the one trick for a fraction of the price of the whole DVD?

Food for thought...
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 06/11/09 08:51 AM

Are we in a place where we can look for root causes yet?
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend
 
Posts: 6606
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Westchester, NY

Postby JHostler » 06/11/09 09:00 AM

A large, growing, and frighteningly myopic contingent believes that all information and digital media should be supported by ad revenue and - by extension - that "retail" is no longer a viable or even valid business model. At very least, this notion feeds their rationale for criminal activity.

As I've spouted before (in the context of marketing The Rauschenberg Effect), the market for magic is inherently inefficient. The lack of transparency (secrets) undergirding much of the value of books and effects also serves to twist supply and demand curves. Put simply, customers rarely know exactly what they're buying... additional "rationale" for pirates.

Sadowitz and I, quite independently, have "adapted" by actively controlling the initial point of access to our respective media. Additionally, I've rolled the dice with voluntary remuneration/barter ("pay what it's worth")... with limited - albeit some - success.

Far from agreeing with Matt, I believe we must attack the problem on two fronts simultaneously: legal and economic. Sue the bastards, disrupt their "businesses" (to the greatest extent possible), and experiment with new and innovative business models. (Signed, limited hard copy editions are a fab idea. Make the product collectable.)
JHostler
 
Posts: 229
Joined: 09/27/08 08:34 PM

Postby mrgoat » 06/11/09 09:58 AM

John Hostler wrote:
As I've spouted before (in the context of marketing The Rauschenberg Effect), the market for magic is inherently inefficient. The lack of transparency (secrets) undergirding much of the value of books and effects also serves to twist supply and demand curves. Put simply, customers rarely know exactly what they're buying... additional "rationale" for pirates.


Interesting point. The music industry blamed piracy for a downturn in sales, but many people put it down to simply music releases being bad to average in terms of quality.

Maybe if 'we' released less [censored], people would be less tempted to pirate it?

Maybe if 'we' let people know the method, less people would be tempted to pirate it?

I wonder how much magic piracy is down to people simply being curious if an effect is worth buying or not.

We've all been burnt buying appalling tricks that sounded good in the ads. If the appalling tricks stopped, maybe the piracy would decline?
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 06/11/09 10:22 AM

Does any of this feel familiar:

It's all about hype and getting the gossip first so you can fool them first at the club...

It usually turns out to be less than novel, far from practical and a puzzlement to those who wish to learn rather than be titillated by gushing dolts...

There's a dread of feeling "if only I bought x instead" combined with "but x is probably just as bad".

Do you have nightmares about folks who learned that there's something more efficient than taking candy from babies - namely taking money from children in exchange for empty promises and a pretension of them becoming a 'special person' because they now have 'special knowlege'? Can you not see the parellel to the cycle of abuse in this?

Does your wife/signficant other wonder at the collection of things you have but don't explain or use to entertain others?


Have you ever wondered...

Is knowing how something is done different from knowing whether you could integrate it into what you do?


That last one is likely critical to the survival of an open market in magic.
Jonathan Townsend
 
Posts: 6606
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Westchester, NY

Postby JHostler » 06/11/09 10:42 AM

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Does any of this feel familiar:


Is knowing how something is done different from knowing whether you could integrate it into what you do?


That last one is likely critical to the survival of an open market in magic.



Exactly my point. It's like trying to sell IP to a company without fully disclosing the value added. No one in a rational market would buy... but magicians face a nifty Catch 22, where much of the value (or lack thereof) resides in the secret itself - the IP. Full disclosure is often impossible without giving away the store.
JHostler
 
Posts: 229
Joined: 09/27/08 08:34 PM

Postby SteveP » 06/11/09 11:28 AM

mrgoat wrote:
What online streaming services are there for magic? Heck even L&L's site is pathetic compared to the big adult sites. Why?

Would offering punters the content they want, in a medium they want at a price they want be THAT hard to do?

No.

I think that magic publishers (no offence Mr K) are like the big 5 music labels. Old fashioned and arrogant. Think that they know best, and seem to be almost actively ignoring the internet as a distribution medium.

Look what happened to the music labels...

This is all obvious. Netflix = good. Blockbuster = screwed. iTunes = good. Tower Records = out of business.

All I think needs to happen is a site needs to launch that is a 'gatherer' of content. Just like iTunes. An aggregator. Go to L&L and the others and agree a fee, put up a site, sell the content. DRM free in a variety of file formats. And price it sensibly.

Why should you have to buy the whole Lennert Green video if all you want is one trick from it?

Why can you not just buy the one trick for a fraction of the price of the whole DVD?

Food for thought...


I'm going to jump in to this - a little late, but since I have some experience in this I want to give you another perspective.

Being the website developer for L&L, I will address the above comments in a moment, but first I want to share an experience I had in getting our content removed and ultimately ruining a forum where magic trading had been going on for 2 years.

Through Google I stumbled across a site that had a lot of magic videos being traded. This is a different situation than the P2P we typically see. This was a forum, like this one where people uploaded files to download services like RapidShare and then posted the download link. The site wasn't devoted exclusively to magic, they have movies, apps, etc.

Well it turns out that services like MegaUpload, RapidShare, etc will remove your files if requested.

I joined this forum with multiple, disposable user names because I knew each one would be banned when I started posting. I targeted the L&L files, had them removed from the download site and when they started complaining on the forum that it had been removed, I went on and bragged about it. This went on for a week and finally the admins for this forum said no more magic section. They got sick of banning me and moderating the posts.

That was a couple of months ago and that site is now dead for trading magic. A small victory, but it had been running for 2 years without a challenge.

P2P is another monster all together and it's just not possible to have it shut down or removed.

Now to address Mr. Goat's comments. Why is L&L's site pathetic compared to adult sites? The fact that you're even asking that makes me wonder how informed you are with the economics of the magic retail business compared to the online porn industry.

I'm flying solo with L&L's site. There isn't a team of developers and graphic designers as there are with most adult sites. I could put together a team, substantially raise my rates, and we could put together a kick-ass web site which will ultimately cost you the consumer more money because that extra cost will need to be absorbed somewhere.

The porn industry is a multi-billion dollar business with millions of customers. The magic industry is a multi-million dollar industry with less than 100,000 customers. I don't care how you offer up products, the market is over-saturated. You have the early adopters who buy products once they are released. They support the dealers & creators. Then you have the next level of customer who buys at 50% off on ebay and magic forums.

We are currently doing some downloadable products through a third-party service. It's just ok. It may be increased in the future through another provider. We haven't talked about it in a while. But right now, I don't see how the market is going to support the added expense.

For L&L to do it on it's own would be cost prohibitive. I've looked into solutions and it's just not practical. The increased cost for the servers and bandwidth is enough to say no. Add in labor to rip all those files, upload everything, create the pages, etc. Remember, we're in a very small industry here and right now EVERYONE is hurting.

But this has worked successfully and continues to with sites like Ellusionist. I worked with Ellusionist for six months, at the end of 2007 and the beginning of 2008. It's a completely different operation than most other magic publishers. But it's not perfect because you have to keep bringing in new customers and THAT pisses off many in the magic business. They advertise nationally, they sponsored a TV show and that pissed off many people. But that is the business model that is required to make all of this profitable. iTunes & NetFlix work because there are millions of customers.

Personally, I would love to hear some solutions. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I've been dealing with this for several years and am open to hearing ideas. If solutions can be found that included a group of publishers and that didn't interfere with distributor arrangements, great!
SteveP
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 01/20/08 01:00 PM
Location: St. Louis, MO

Postby Richard Kaufman » 06/11/09 12:09 PM

It's a mistake to equate the piracy of music with that of magic. And it's a mistake to equate the piracy of magic tricks with that of magic DVDs and magic books. No one needs to "peek" at a book before buying it in order to find out whether the "secret" is worth the money.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
User avatar
Richard Kaufman
 
Posts: 20471
Joined: 07/18/01 12:00 PM
Location: Washington DC

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 06/11/09 01:52 PM

Richard Kaufman wrote:... No one needs to "peek" at a book before buying it in order to find out whether the "secret" is worth the money.


IMHO it's exactly that utility of "the secret" which is getting us in trouble.

If one is not buying a manuscript (text) or prop but a 'secret' - then the market and author are losing out on the usual moral claim of copyright protection - as the customer is NOT buying the fixed expression but the "secret" supposedly contained therein.

Second, if that 'secret' is simply not useful to the purchasor... it is still theirs to do as they see fit - even to make graffiti of the data and a sculpture of the props.
Jonathan Townsend
 
Posts: 6606
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Westchester, NY

Postby mrgoat » 06/11/09 02:12 PM

Steve Pellegrino wrote:
mrgoat wrote:Now to address Mr. Goat's comments. Why is L&L's site pathetic compared to adult sites?


Adult sites offer 100s or 1000s of gigabytes of exactly the content the surfer wants. At a price he is prepared to pay. So he pays 5 bucks a minute or 30 bucks a month to access it.

They serve the content in a very easy to download manner. They offer a variety of file formats. They stream in HD H264.

I cited L&L because really they are probably *the* leader in offline publishing, yet seem to not to really embrace online.

I mean *no* disrespect to you, and had I known you were reading, I would have not used the word pathetic. Behind the times would be more appropriate.


Steve Pellegrino wrote:I'm flying solo with L&L's site. There isn't a team of developers and graphic designers as there are with most adult sites.


Not at all true. Most sites are run by one man bands. They shoot the content, edit the content make the site, organise the hosting, the CC processing (which is tricky in adult as you can imagine), run the updates, run the marketing etc etc.

In fact, three of the most successful sites in the UK are run exactly like that.

Steve Pellegrino wrote:The porn industry is a multi-billion dollar business with millions of customers. The magic industry is a multi-million dollar industry with less than 100,000 customers. I don't care how you offer up products, the market is over-saturated.


And you don't think porn is over-saturated? You don't think porn is MASSIVELY troubled by stolen content (much more so than magic)? Of course it is.

So what to do?

Start caring about how you serve up that content. Start *really* caring about your customer. About how to use the data you already have on him to better serve his needs.

To enter into a Customer Lifecycle Management campaign from the first time they hit your site. Work out how to give them what they want, all the time.

Steve Pellegrino wrote:We are currently doing some downloadable products through a third-party service. It's just ok. It may be increased in the future through another provider. We haven't talked about it in a while. But right now, I don't see how the market is going to support the added expense.


I've seen it. It looks like an adult site from 10 years ago. If you would like me to put you in touch with some streaming video providers (admitedly adult ones) that could help, let me know. It's really much cheaper than you think.

There is hardly any extra cost at all. You already have the content (which is the biggest cost)! Bandwidth costs cents, preparing the video for the web is really cheap to do now too. Getting a webmaster to post regular updates of your existing library would not be expensive at all as it would be such a junior webmonkey position.

Steve Pellegrino wrote:For L&L to do it on it's own would be cost prohibitive. I've looked into solutions and it's just not practical. The increased cost for the servers and bandwidth is enough to say no. Add in labor to rip all those files, upload everything, create the pages, etc. Remember, we're in a very small industry here and right now EVERYONE is hurting.


Sorry, I find this really really hard to believe. The dedicated server will cost you around 250 bucks a month with 10 megabits of bandwidth. That would be enough I imagine. The labor is peanuts if you look at outsourcing places. I get videos sorted for web in South America. It's very very cheap. Using a decent CMS, updates could be done by a junior office admin.

Steve Pellegrino wrote: iTunes & NetFlix work because there are millions of customers.


Well maybe, or maybe because music and movies are moving to digital distribution.

Steve Pellegrino wrote:Personally, I would love to hear some solutions. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I've been dealing with this for several years and am open to hearing ideas. If solutions can be found that included a group of publishers and that didn't interfere with distributor arrangements, great!


I think what it needs is a kick up the butt. Like Steve Jobs did with the music industry. He went round and courted them all individually, for MONTHS until they all said yes.

If a company was set up to become the aggregator for online digital content, they could court all the magic publishers in the same way Jobs worked the record industry.

I don't believe ellusionist or L&L or however will separately solve this. But, that doesn't mean you couldn't offer a decent streaming/download service to an audience that has proven they like buying music and movies online.
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby mrgoat » 06/11/09 02:15 PM

John Hostler wrote:I believe we must attack the problem on two fronts simultaneously: legal and economic. Sue the bastards, disrupt their "businesses" (to the greatest extent possible), and experiment with new and innovative business models.


How many cases have the RIAA or MPAA successfully brought to court?

I think legal action is a waste of time.
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby John Carney » 06/11/09 02:53 PM

All criminals rationalize why it is OK for them to do what they do. They know it is not right, but they look for excuses to alleviate their guilt.

Its basically about taking what they want, and doing whatever they feel like doing....and to hell with anyone else's needs, feelings, or well-being.

Pure selfishness.........I want......I take.
John Carney
 
Posts: 211
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Los Angeles

Postby SteveP » 06/11/09 03:25 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread with L&L stuff so I'll make a quick reply to Mr Goat and leave it at that.

I can appreciate some of what you're saying, but I also don't think you understand the economics in play here. I'm a full-time performer and the work I do for L&L only takes me a few hours every month. Anything and I mean anything beyond that is going to increase their costs substantially.

Now they could go to a third-party to do everything, but I guarantee it's going to at least quadruple their budget for web development and that's not including the servers. I can tell you that Ellusionist is run across several servers. L&L would have more content than Ellusionist, so it would not be practical or advisable to run all of this from a single server.

You say the site is behind the times. I'm not so sure that the extra bells & whistles would add more revenue because I don't know if the demand is there right now. Maybe it is. Maybe it is for some companies like Ellusionist who have a younger demographic and it isn't for L&L. I think the model would work better for L&L if they kept their products exclusive and didn't distribute everything. But that's not the case and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
SteveP
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 01/20/08 01:00 PM
Location: St. Louis, MO

Postby Scott M. » 06/11/09 03:51 PM

mrgoat wrote:
John Hostler wrote:
How many cases have the RIAA or MPAA successfully brought to court?

I think legal action is a waste of time.


To bring people here up to speed, the RIAA has ceased their multi-year practice of prosecuting filesharers:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10126914-93.html

They are now trying to work with the ISPs.

France has pursued probably the most vigorous campaign against piracy, passing a "three strikes" law in which filesharers after three violations lose their internet privileges. However, this law was just recently struck down as unconstitutional by France's constitution court:

http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-arti ... trikes-law

I'm of the belief that piracy is here to stay and content creators must adapt to a changed landscape (and, Bob Farmer, I am a content creator and make 100% of my income from the production of both film and print media). Direct relationships between creator and fans, added value beyond the physical media object, collectable items (one filmmaker I know is talking about releasing sculptural USB drives with his work on it), and, in general, simply "being human," removing the anonymity of the retail sale, and making supporting you something your fans want to do are all things niche-content creators must do in order to sustain themselves in the new landscape. Some of the younger generation, like Dan and Dave and Wayne Houchin are already developing these skills very nicely.
Scott M.
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 03/13/08 12:42 AM
Location: NYC

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 06/11/09 04:14 PM

Sorry to re-read old arguments as they amount to distraction and self justification for being ineffective.

Can we hear more about "why they think it's okay" and perhaps a little about what you are up for exploring to change things?

BTW - how does lifecycle management for customers fit in with the cycle of abuse associated with selling things called "secrets", "inner secrets" and "ultimate secrets" from "underground"?

IE why should anyone care to keep a secret when they find out that the secret they bought was just the "price of their naivete" that day and why should they not wish to spare their peers that sense of being diminished and the guilt for doing that to themselves?
Jonathan Townsend
 
Posts: 6606
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Westchester, NY

Postby the Larry » 06/11/09 07:24 PM

mrgoat wrote:I'm not saying you couldn't do a magic download store. But I doubt it would reach the impact of iTunes.

However, if magic publishers stepped vaguely into the online era, and more aped the adult movie model, it might be interesting.

What online streaming services are there for magic? Heck even L&L's site is pathetic compared to the big adult sites. Why?

Would offering punters the content they want, in a medium they want at a price they want be THAT hard to do?

No.

I think that magic publishers (no offence Mr K) are like the big 5 music labels. Old fashioned and arrogant. Think that they know best, and seem to be almost actively ignoring the internet as a distribution medium.

Look what happened to the music labels...

This is all obvious. Netflix = good. Blockbuster = screwed. iTunes = good. Tower Records = out of business.

All I think needs to happen is a site needs to launch that is a 'gatherer' of content. Just like iTunes. An aggregator. Go to L&L and the others and agree a fee, put up a site, sell the content. DRM free in a variety of file formats. And price it sensibly.

Why should you have to buy the whole Lennert Green video if all you want is one trick from it?

Why can you not just buy the one trick for a fraction of the price of the whole DVD?

Food for thought...


I know my way around the digital domain but I am no expert. So I can't offer that much. But I have seen one publisher do sort of what you are referring to: Lybrary.com

If you go to their magic->cards->moves category then you will see that they have unbundled the entire Ackerman Advanced Card Technique series (total of 8 DVDs). You can purchase each move separately. I bought two moves so far and this really works great. I can download a video file and play it on my computer, or I can view a streaming version online.

This could of course still be made better and slicker, but it is great that one can choose only those moves that one likes. Rather than putting down $30 for a DVD you can buy for two three bucks those moves you want to study.

Not sure if you would call that a magic iTunes, probably not but the unbundling is a nice step forward to make good use of digital technology.
the Larry
 
Posts: 200
Joined: 12/28/08 08:43 AM

Postby Tim Ellis » 06/11/09 07:24 PM

Okay - as the original poster I asked "Please don't derail this thread by debating his right to "share" his purchases." but it's happened anyway...

Mr Goat: "I think that's a MUCH more interesting and USEFUL discussion that bitching about 14 year olds who WOULD NEVER BUY THE PRODUCT ANYWAY pirating something."

So would you offer the same advice to the movie studios? Stop spending millions of dollars telling people NOT to pirate movies because those people would never buy them anyway??

Mr Goat thinks nothing can be done about illegal uploads. Let me give you examples with YouTube and FaceBook. Three times I have had my accounts on each deleted while I've had to come back to FB and YT and PROVE that I'm the copyright owner of what I have posted.

Yes, I've been totally cheesed off at the fact there is SO MUCH content out there already that is obviously a breach of copyright (TV shows, movie clips, music etc) but it goes to show YT & FB think it's important enough that they've STARTED to do something to try to protect copyright.


John offers a great suggestion: "Sue the bastards, disrupt their "businesses" (to the greatest extent possible), and experiment with new and innovative business models. (Signed, limited hard copy editions are a fab idea. Make the product collectable.)"

I agree - hit them where it hurts. James Clark also sends the FBI to the homes of the site administrators. This usually shuts them down immediately and puts the fear of God into them. Most people who do this sort of thing live in a false reality in front of their computer screen interacting with thousands of "friends" they'll never meet. Put them into the real world and it's like puling the Wizard of Oz out from behind his screen.



Mr Goat added "I wonder how much magic piracy is down to people simply being curious if an effect is worth buying or not. We've all been burnt buying appalling tricks that sounded good in the ads. If the appalling tricks stopped, maybe the piracy would decline?"

I've heard this said so many times before. It's a JUSTIFICATION not a reason. Why should I suffer because OTHER PEOPLE bring out rubbish products? It's bad enough they charge the same price for their DVDs as mine. But isn't this where "market forces" come into play? The products get bad reviews so mo-one buys them? No, instead they circulate forever on file sharing sites, along with all the god DVDs too. Why buy when you can get it for free?


Mr Goat asks: "How many cases have the RIAA or MPAA successfully brought to court?"

This is the beauty - they don't go to court, they get settled BEFORE going to court because the pirates don't have the funds to mount a legal defense. On several occasions James Clark has threatened to sue file sharers and they have folded immediately.


John Carney - Thanks for words of CRYSTAL CLEAR TRUTH!


As for the argument of "Why buy a whole DVD when I only want one trick" I recently put a few effects from our DVDs as stand-alone downloadable files on our online store http://magicunlimited.com/store/
It costs $10 to download the Razorblade routine. People are buying it and saying it's waaay underpriced, and they want more individual tricks from the DVDs at the same price.

What I find odd is that they could pay $25 for the whole DVD and get over 3 hours of content versus $10 for 16 minutes.

However, by selling a downloadable file, it makes it much easier for people to share the file.

If I had the expertise or budget, I'd love to set up a service like Joshua Jay has where you pay to view a file which stays on his server forever. I'm sure even that is hackable, but it seems like a much more secure option.


Bottom line is though, we sell many more DVDs when we do lecture tours than any other time. It's the marketing and promotion of a DVD that is another additional cost that somehow has to be paid for, and the file sharers rob us there too.



Getting back to the original point of my first post - the Demonoid staff requested I stop "attacking" their member by making comments in the thread about MY DVD and said if I wanted it removed, I need to email their administration. I did, and received this reply. (Legal minded readers might be able to interpret this for me):

"Hello,
We are a torrent indexing site. We host torrent files only, which are small, non copyrightable files which may be used to get a list of ip addresses only. Nothing else is ever hosted or transmitted by the server and there is no copyright infringement taking place.

Even though we are not required to do so since we are not based in america or the american continent and there is no copyright infringement taking place, and we are not obligated in any way to remove content on your request, we honor properly written DMCA removal requests in a timely manner. But need the DMCA takedown and the links to be removed in the proper format and nothing can be removed until you supply one.

Please send a properly formatted DMCA takedown request to our assigned agent (abuse@demonoid.com), with the link to the torrent page in the format specified on our contact page (http://www.demonoid.com/contact_us.php)
Also, please don't forget to read our terms of service and disclaimer. The links are available in our contact page.

Best regards,

V. Umlauf
Legal Affairs"
www.AustralianMagician.com
www.TimEllisMagic.com
www.MagicUnlimited.com

User avatar
Tim Ellis
 
Posts: 829
Joined: 07/11/08 04:08 PM
Location: Victoria

Postby mrgoat » 06/11/09 07:39 PM

Steve Pellegrino wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread with L&L stuff so I'll make a quick reply to Mr Goat and leave it at that.


I think your contribution here is very worthwhile. And as L&L are arguably the largest video content producer out there, your POV is not only interesting but essential to this thread, IMHO.

Steve Pellegrino wrote:I can appreciate some of what you're saying, but I also don't think you understand the economics in play here. I'm a full-time performer and the work I do for L&L only takes me a few hours every month. Anything and I mean anything beyond that is going to increase their costs substantially.


Of course it will increase costs. I'm not arguing that. But I believe you are wrong thinking it is expensive. Servers are cheap. Bandwidth is cheap. Encoding is cheap. A great CMS is cheap.

I think the market has shown it is willing to pay for digital downloads. Just needs a publisher to be brave, or someone to persuade all the publishers to be brave.

Steve Pellegrino wrote:Now they could go to a third-party to do everything, but I guarantee it's going to at least quadruple their budget for web development and that's not including the servers. I can tell you that Ellusionist is run across several servers. L&L would have more content than Ellusionist, so it would not be practical or advisable to run all of this from a single server.


As I said, servers and bandwidth are peanuts these days.

I see the costs of MASSIVE bandwidth adult sites - serious video bandwidth. I am estimating a thousand, or ten thousand times Ellusionist's bandwidth. It's REALLY cheap. And the more you buy the cheaper it is.

Maybe mainstream costs for this are much more than adult? But I know that the stuff you think is expensive is cheap. Really.

But, as I said, maybe our market needs one iTunes 'aggregator' of all publisher's content.

Steve Pellegrino wrote:You say the site is behind the times. I'm not so sure that the extra bells & whistles would add more revenue because I don't know if the demand is there right now. Maybe it is. Maybe it is for some companies like Ellusionist who have a younger demographic and it isn't for L&L. I think the model would work better for L&L if they kept their products exclusive and didn't distribute everything. But that's not the case and I don't see that changing anytime soon.


I don't mean to be rude about your web design when I said it was behind the times. I meant that by not offering content in a way consumers are proving they want it, it is behind the times. Which is sad for a company with the rep and back catalogue L&L has.

It's really like Hustler and Playboy. Both are useless online. I worked for Playboy, I know! One small site I work with now makes 20 times the revenue PB made. Because PB, the biggest brand in the industry, didn't 'get' online.

I can see a small, almost one man band coming in and offering an iTunes like solution and being a saviour.
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby mrgoat » 06/11/09 07:51 PM

Tim Ellis wrote:Okay - as the original poster I asked "Please don't derail this thread by debating his right to "share" his purchases." but it's happened anyway...

Mr Goat: "I think that's a MUCH more interesting and USEFUL discussion that bitching about 14 year olds who WOULD NEVER BUY THE PRODUCT ANYWAY pirating something."

So would you offer the same advice to the movie studios? Stop spending millions of dollars telling people NOT to pirate movies because those people would never buy them anyway??


Yes. Obviously it's a waste of money as it doesn't work. Do you think the cash that the MPAA and RIAA has spent has been worthwhile? How many court cases have they won? Have a guess.

Tim Ellis wrote:Mr Goat thinks nothing can be done about illegal uploads. Let me give you examples with YouTube and FaceBook. Three times I have had my accounts on each deleted while I've had to come back to FB and YT and PROVE that I'm the copyright owner of what I have posted.


I said nothing can be done about piracy. If you are to be taken seriously, please do not put words into my mouth.

Nothing can be done about piracy. Lots can be done about YouTube and Facebook. They are not torrent sites. They are publicly traded companies. I am sure you can see why they react to takedown notices and the piratebay laugh at them.

Show me how you have gotten the pirate bay to remove links to content and I will buy you dinner.

Tim Ellis wrote:Mr Goat added "I wonder how much magic piracy is down to people simply being curious if an effect is worth buying or not. We've all been burnt buying appalling tricks that sounded good in the ads. If the appalling tricks stopped, maybe the piracy would decline?"

I've heard this said so many times before. It's a JUSTIFICATION not a reason.


It was a question actually.

Tim Ellis wrote:Mr Goat asks: "How many cases have the RIAA or MPAA successfully brought to court?"

This is the beauty - they don't go to court, they get settled BEFORE going to court because the pirates don't have the funds to mount a legal defense. On several occasions James Clark has threatened to sue file sharers and they have folded immediately.


Awesome, so you agree they haven't won a case. No. They scare and bully innocent people into paying them cash. All they have is an IP of a device that alledgedly downloaded a file. That isn't proof, is it? No. This is why the MPAA and RIAA have been bullying and harassing little old ladies and kids.

It's a waste of time, money and effort. And it is proven to INCREASE piracy.

Tim Ellis wrote:
Getting back to the original point of my first post - the Demonoid staff requested I stop "attacking" their member by making comments in the thread about MY DVD and said if I wanted it removed, I need to email their administration. I did, and received this reply. (Legal minded readers might be able to interpret this for me):

"Hello,
We are a torrent indexing site. We host torrent files only, which are small, non copyrightable files which may be used to get a list of ip addresses only. Nothing else is ever hosted or transmitted by the server and there is no copyright infringement taking place.

Even though we are not required to do so since we are not based in america or the american continent and there is no copyright infringement taking place, and we are not obligated in any way to remove content on your request, we honor properly written DMCA removal requests in a timely manner. But need the DMCA takedown and the links to be removed in the proper format and nothing can be removed until you supply one.

Please send a properly formatted DMCA takedown request to our assigned agent (abuse@demonoid.com), with the link to the torrent page in the format specified on our contact page (http://www.demonoid.com/contact_us.php)
Also, please don't forget to read our terms of service and disclaimer. The links are available in our contact page.

Best regards,

V. Umlauf
Legal Affairs"


It means, that they are not admitting they are doing anything illegal, but if you send them a DCMA take down to the email address they gave you, they might remove the links to the content out of good will.

P2P sites, like Demonoid, do not host the content. They simply link to it. The content is distributed via thousands of people's PCs all around the world. Demonoid host a file that will allow you to get the content from these PCs. Not from them.

This is the simple reason why P2P will never be stopped. It can't be.
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby mrgoat » 06/11/09 07:52 PM

the Larry wrote:I know my way around the digital domain but I am no expert. So I can't offer that much. But I have seen one publisher do sort of what you are referring to: Lybrary.com

If you go to their magic->cards->moves category then you will see that they have unbundled the entire Ackerman Advanced Card Technique series (total of 8 DVDs). You can purchase each move separately. I bought two moves so far and this really works great. I can download a video file and play it on my computer, or I can view a streaming version online.

This could of course still be made better and slicker, but it is great that one can choose only those moves that one likes. Rather than putting down $30 for a DVD you can buy for two three bucks those moves you want to study.

Not sure if you would call that a magic iTunes, probably not but the unbundling is a nice step forward to make good use of digital technology.


Although Mr Lybrary does get on my tits here with his constant plugging :) , I must admit he has it spot on in this case. Exactly right. And he is now in the position to do this across the board. He could get every publisher to work with him.

Interesting....
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby mrgoat » 06/11/09 07:58 PM

Jonathan Townsend wrote:S
BTW - how does lifecycle management for customers fit in with the cycle of abuse associated with selling things called "secrets", "inner secrets" and "ultimate secrets" from "underground"?

IE why should anyone care to keep a secret when they find out that the secret they bought was just the "price of their naivete" that day and why should they not wish to spare their peers that sense of being diminished and the guilt for doing that to themselves?


The lifecycle management would be engaging someone at the start of their interest. Earning permission to talk (market) to them via newsletters, free video clips, etc. Mining data on what they look at, what they do online and then tailor offers to them based on this data. Rinse and repeat.

Really, it gets back to stop selling [censored].

The internet has made us all connected. Back in the day, I imagine if something new came out, someone bought it and told everyone at their club it was a POS. Now, they tell the world.
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Next

Return to Buzz