need help "the pentagram vision"

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Postby brandes » 04/11/09 11:55 AM

I dont know if this trick already published somewhere, I just don't want somebody will called me as an plagiator, so I need this matter clear.

yesterday, I tried to make a new trick using a pentagram symbol and I create it to publish in lokal magician forum (I'm from indonesia and also sory for my bad english) because I checked overthere all the thread, there was none of the thread discuss about the pentagram, you may check the trick here.

For those, I need your help to make this trick look simple and also need information about where I can find an article that discuss about the pentagram? I am very excited about this symbol.

thank in advance
brandes

Postby Dick Christian » 04/13/09 05:20 AM

Brandes,

Took a look at the blogspot you reference. As regards your "Pentagram Vision" I do not know of any other effect exactly like it, although I am aware of an effect by Larry Becker that did use publish a pentagram design with numbers assigned to each of the five points which he called the Pentagram Limited Force to force a range of numbers for his "Bell, Book and Candle Book Test found in "Larry Beckers World of Super Mentalism, Book Two" (1979).

Your blogspot also had descriptions of two other effects that I presume you devised. Namely "Zodiac Zoom" consisting of a branching/progressive anagram used to divine an audience members zodiac sign and "Book Test: Another Version" which uses the well known 14/15 force. Unlike your "Pentagram Vision" which MAY be original, you should avoid claiming originality in the case of either "Zodiac Zoom" or "Book Test: Another Version." Both of those effects date back several decades and have been published in various effects by several others over the years. The 14/15 force you describe in your book test dates to Burling Hull's "Premiere Book Test" from the 1920s (if not even earlier) and has been used by several others as well, including Karl Fulves in his 1978 "Aftermath Book Test." With a little more research I'm sure I can cite specific references for earlier uses of the zodiac anagram.

I don't know what resources you have at your disposal in Indonesia, but it would seem that a great deal more research of the magical literature would be in order before so that you can properly credit the originators of some of the ideas you are exploring.

There are any number of folks on this forum who have extensive knowledge of the literature and history of various aspects of magic and who I'm sure would be able to assist you in that regard.
Dick Christian
Dick Christian

Postby brandes » 04/13/09 11:03 PM

Mr dick christian,

i thank you very much for your impresive comment regarding this topic, your explanation is very usefull for newbie like me. the other trick that posted in my blog was not originally created by me except "the pentagram vision" that i spent my time before i know that already published a long time ago, just try and wanna to share with the others.

i'm sory indeed also to all members of this forum before i posted this topic, i never check accuratly all the trick that had been published already especially "the pentagram vision".no meant to claiming it.thank you for your kind understanding :), i still need to learn and i hope i will learn much from you all.

bravo for this forum!!!!
brandes

Postby Dick Christian » 04/14/09 06:54 AM

Brandes,

Don't be embarrassed. You have nothing to apologize for. No one can possibly be familiar with everything in magic or anything else nor does anyone have access to the entire body of the magical literature. People are constantly reinventing and rediscovering ideas in magic and other areas as well. The list of folks who came up with wonderful original ideas only to find when they applied for a patent that someone else patented the same thing fifty years earlier is a long list indeed. Don't let the fact that you weren't the first in this instance stifle your creativity.
Dick Christian
Dick Christian

Postby brandes » 04/14/09 11:57 PM

Mr dick christian,

I'm thank you and appreciated your comment,and please I never feel embarrassed about it.that is why I joined this forum, know and share much usefull informatian about the magic trick from all the world,warn about my wrong and also help to fix my problem. :)

I hope I can discuss more later in this forum with you.
brandes

Return to Mentalism & Mental Magic