Just bought my first Genii

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Guest » 12/31/01 03:04 PM

Hi! Just bought my first ever copy of Genii earlier today - the January 2002 edition. I've had a passing interest in magic for some time now, but have only recently dedicated some time to learning card sleights and other close-up effects. I'm very much an amateur and a relative newcomer to this website.

Okay, let me start reading and i'll let you know how i get on...

Postby Bill Duncan » 12/31/01 07:35 PM

Welcome.
You'll find that Genii is a great resource for a newbie.
:D
Bill Duncan

Postby Richard Kaufman » 12/31/01 09:54 PM

Happytrickster: welcome from the Chief Genii. I would be interested in hearing your comments about your first issue of Genii. (Did you buy it at Davenport's or International Magic?)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 01/01/02 03:00 AM

I bought it from International Magic. Just finished reading most of it... so far so good :). I'll post some more detailed comments a little later today.

Postby Guest » 01/06/02 05:44 PM

Okay, finished reading my first ever copy of Genii from cover to cover (four times over). It was a great read! I've been dipping into it virtually every day since i purchased it - a testimony to the fact that i probably won't quite be finished with this copy before the next one hits the local magic store's shelf.

To be honest, i hadn't heard of Mac King at all before i picked up the magazine and was pleasantly surprised to see that such a regular guy made it to the dizzying heights of magic stardom and, more importantly, doesn't appear to have allowed it to get to his head. His description of a magic fan as "that guy who knows two or three card tricks" (p.26) is spot on i think (i am that fan!). Pen Jillette's comments on Mac IMHO were a little overdone. But perhaps that's just how Penn is; maybe he always talks about his friends in such glowing, over-the-top terms. I much preferred the Lance Burton interview.

The two Mac King effects on pp.38-43 are superb (my favourite section so far). Both are quite strong, and once i get to grips with Ed Marlo's Direct Bottom Palm i'm gonna give that Card in Shoe effect a try. I guess the thing i liked most about Mac was that he appears to be an original thinker, refining his tricks and devising new ones.

Is this a regular feature of Genii: the portrayal of a magician's life and work to this level of detail?

Hey, Richard, you seem to be almost single-handedly keeping the Classified Ads section alive! Hope you find what you are looking for out there :)

I found the Genii forum before i found the magazine. I must say that they complement each other wonderfully. I shall certainly be buying the next edition.

Happy Trickster

p.s. Is that a typo on p.64? - "Setup: You need a duplicate of any black card in your deck - let's say it's the King of Spades. Before you begin this trick, get the real King of Clubs [King of Spades?] and your duplicate to the top..."

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/06/02 06:23 PM

Could be a typo! We have three people proofreading, myself included, but we don't get every mistake. Too much text each month. We do try!
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 01/06/02 06:36 PM

The typo was just a minor, irrelevant point (i should be the last one to complain about typos!). I only mentioned it because it related to the 'setup' of one of the tricks. Like i said, a great magazine!

Richard, i recently chanced across some clips of Peter Duffie performing some amazing Passes. Am i right in thinking that you two have worked together?

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/06/02 07:14 PM

Peter is a good friend of mine. I have published two books of his material, "Duffie's Card Compulsions" and a book on easy-to-do card tricks whose title I honestly can't remember!
Richard Kaufman

Return to General