Who will be the next David Copperfield?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Kabuki San » 02/11/09 01:03 AM

As time goes by I wonderwho will be the successor of The Great David Copperfield?
Thank you,
Kabuki San
User avatar
Kabuki San
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 01/25/09 05:43 PM

Postby The Magic Apple » 02/11/09 03:55 AM

Farrell Dillon
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple
The Magic Apple
 
Posts: 823
Joined: 01/23/08 01:00 PM
Location: Studio City, CA

Postby David Vamer » 02/11/09 03:04 PM

David's son.
David Vamer
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 10/16/08 03:15 AM

Postby Richard Kaufman » 02/11/09 03:14 PM

David has no kids.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
User avatar
Richard Kaufman
 
Posts: 20591
Joined: 07/18/01 12:00 PM
Location: Washington DC

Postby Mike Rozek » 02/11/09 03:16 PM

Danny Cole
Mike Rozek
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Norwalk, CA

Postby David Oliver » 02/11/09 03:51 PM

At least if it's Danny Cole, he won't have to change the initials on the towels.
[color:purple]- DO[/color]
David Oliver
 
Posts: 193
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Boston, MA

Postby Ray T. Stott » 02/11/09 04:45 PM

Kabuki San wrote:As time goes by I wonderwho will be the successor of The Great David Copperfield?


First Choice: Fernando Keops

Close Second: Jon Townsend

Even money on Keops - 6-5 on Jon.

It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.
User avatar
Ray T. Stott
 
Posts: 324
Joined: 08/05/08 05:15 PM
Location: Tardis, Gallifrey

Postby Hugh Castell » 02/11/09 06:41 PM

Sterling Dietz.Last Saturday the wife and I saw one his stage shows on a 5 city tour of Western Washington. Sterling is only 17 and has been doing magic for only 4 years. He obviously has a dedication and focus that, in this brief time, has allowed him to develop into a highly skilled professional caliber entertainer.In addition he has a very engaging,friendly personality. At this level after only 4 years, he is definitely on track to become one of the greats of modern magic.
Hugh Castell
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Bellevue, Washington

Postby flynn » 02/11/09 06:43 PM

The next David Copperfield? Criss Angel's already knocked him off the pedastal. Unless Criss fizzles out the crown is his to keep.
flynn
 
Posts: 223
Joined: 03/14/08 04:58 PM
Location: Phoenix AZ

Postby Hugh Castell » 02/11/09 06:45 PM

Oops, meant to include these links to Sterling's site.

http://www.magicsterling.com/

http://www.magicsterling.com/index.php? ... type=video
Hugh Castell
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Bellevue, Washington

Postby castawaydave » 02/11/09 07:46 PM

What betting-line can we get for the proposition that "the Kid talking about his purchases from Penguin" defies the odds and ends up becoming the next David Copperfield?

We've all heard of the diehard fan (or Vegas tourist on a whim) who puts down a little bet on some obscure team at huge odds, the team subsequently goes on an inexplicable roll, has its best season since 1914 and pays off big.

Might this not be the chance to capture such a moment? The biggest underdog since Dedi's day? I say he does it.

Who'll give 10,000,000 to 1 odds? One penny vs. $100,000.00? A ha' penny against 50G's?
castawaydave
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: California

Postby JFox » 02/11/09 07:55 PM

David has no kids.
____________________

Richard: During the FBI raid of DC a while back...wasn't it revealed that DC was sharing a Vegas house with a woman and their biological kid(s)?

btw - too bad Lance's son has no magical aspirations.
JFox
 
Posts: 129
Joined: 01/18/08 01:00 PM
Location: Hollywood, Ca. USA

Postby Terry » 02/11/09 08:15 PM

flynn wrote:The next David Copperfield? Criss Angel's already knocked him off the pedastal. Unless Criss fizzles out the crown is his to keep.


A HA HA HA. . .thanks, I really needed a good laugh. . .
Terry
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: 01/18/08 01:00 PM
Location: Kentucky

Postby Kevin Connolly » 02/11/09 09:08 PM

Don't laugh. I think he meant it. :D
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.
User avatar
Kevin Connolly
 
Posts: 2386
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: New Jersey

Postby Ray T. Stott » 02/11/09 10:13 PM

I wouldn't take those odds but I certainly would lay them.
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.
User avatar
Ray T. Stott
 
Posts: 324
Joined: 08/05/08 05:15 PM
Location: Tardis, Gallifrey

Postby flynn » 02/11/09 11:52 PM

Terry wrote:
flynn wrote:The next David Copperfield? Criss Angel's already knocked him off the pedastal. Unless Criss fizzles out the crown is his to keep.


A HA HA HA. . .thanks, I really needed a good laugh. . .

You being naive is funnier. Every time I perform magic or tell someone that I do magic Criss Angel gets a mention. Even with the older folks. I've asked many adult which magician they've heard of or know of it's Criss like 10 to 1 over everybody else. The others that get a mention is almost even between Copperfield and Blaine, although alot of people don't remember David Blaines name. I purposely dont ask the younger set cause that would probably be like 100 to 1. I'm not a Criss Angel fan. If I were gonna catch some shows at Vegas I would probably watch others probably Copperfield, Mac King, Burton, Penn and Teller or a hypnotist first before I go see Believe. The exact question I ask is Name a magician? It can be a famous magician or whoever comes to mind. I've been asking people ever since there was a thread on here last spring about how good Criss was and why or how he got famous. Now I know most magicians wont give him props because of his chops or because he uses camera tricks or whatever, but with the general public he's attained celebrity status.
flynn
 
Posts: 223
Joined: 03/14/08 04:58 PM
Location: Phoenix AZ

Postby The Magic Apple » 02/12/09 01:31 AM

Correction Richard

David Copperfield has 2 kids...and yes they are both his
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple
The Magic Apple
 
Posts: 823
Joined: 01/23/08 01:00 PM
Location: Studio City, CA

Postby Diamond Jim Tyler » 02/12/09 01:32 AM

David should have many little ones running around by now. I've seen him magically impregnate many young ladies on the stage.
Magically,
Diamond Jim Tyler
Diamond Jim Tyler
 
Posts: 252
Joined: 01/27/08 01:00 PM
Location: texas

Postby David Vamer » 02/12/09 07:37 AM

David has no kids? Uh...OKAY! ::wink-wink::
David Vamer
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 10/16/08 03:15 AM

Postby Richard Kaufman » 02/12/09 10:49 AM

When he's in Vegas, David lives in the apartment in the warehouse. He's not sharing a house with anyone.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
User avatar
Richard Kaufman
 
Posts: 20591
Joined: 07/18/01 12:00 PM
Location: Washington DC

Postby Dave V » 02/12/09 11:24 AM

At one time he did at least own a home in Las Vegas... for tax purposes. Nevada residents pay less taxes than some other states, Although I don't know if he ever stays there.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"
User avatar
Dave V
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 03/13/08 01:44 AM

Postby David Vamer » 02/12/09 03:17 PM

No, he does not live with his kids and their mother. He bought them a house. They live in Vegas.
David Vamer
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 10/16/08 03:15 AM

Postby Richard Kaufman » 02/12/09 03:43 PM

I read the same story in, what was it, The National Enquirer. Do you believe everything you read in The National Enquirer?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
User avatar
Richard Kaufman
 
Posts: 20591
Joined: 07/18/01 12:00 PM
Location: Washington DC

Postby LV720 » 02/12/09 04:51 PM

Actually it is true...the home is in Red Rock Country Club...kind of common knowledge in Vegas

DJK
LV720
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 09/07/08 09:02 PM

Postby Richard Kaufman » 02/12/09 05:14 PM

I've discovered that things which are "common knowledge" are often not true. Have you spoken to the mother of his so-called children? Have you spoken to David himself and discussed his "children?"

Anyway, who gives a crap. It's like telling me that so and so is gay, or so and so is dating so and so. I could care less. If he's got a couple of kids and a tootsie living in some home in Vegas is it really our business? Don't you have better things to think about?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
User avatar
Richard Kaufman
 
Posts: 20591
Joined: 07/18/01 12:00 PM
Location: Washington DC

Postby mai-ling » 02/12/09 06:57 PM

I'm more curious of who will be the next Doug Henning...
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

User avatar
mai-ling
 
Posts: 740
Joined: 05/10/08 07:25 AM
Location: 60081

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 02/12/09 07:09 PM

mai-ling wrote:I'm more curious of who will be the next Doug Henning...


That may have to wait till we get further past the ironic and into the post-ironic. Given where we are as far as transparency and congruent behavior... that could be a while. Settle for Marlyn Manson doing some tricks on stage?
Jonathan Townsend
 
Posts: 6642
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Westchester, NY

Postby Terry » 02/12/09 07:44 PM

flynn wrote:You being naive is funnier. Every time I perform magic or tell someone that I do magic Criss Angel gets a mention. Even with the older folks. I've asked many adult which magician they've heard of or know of it's Criss like 10 to 1 over everybody else. The others that get a mention is almost even between Copperfield and Blaine, although alot of people don't remember David Blaines name. I purposely dont ask the younger set cause that would probably be like 100 to 1. I'm not a Criss Angel fan. If I were gonna catch some shows at Vegas I would probably watch others probably Copperfield, Mac King, Burton, Penn and Teller or a hypnotist first before I go see Believe. The exact question I ask is Name a magician? It can be a famous magician or whoever comes to mind. I've been asking people ever since there was a thread on here last spring about how good Criss was and why or how he got famous. Now I know most magicians wont give him props because of his chops or because he uses camera tricks or whatever, but with the general public he's attained celebrity status.


I guess it depends on what part of the country you're in as to Criss' fame/celebrity. Around here he's not recognized.

Do us a favor and try to break up your sentences into paragraphs or something other than run on. . . . .
Terry
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: 01/18/08 01:00 PM
Location: Kentucky

Postby Terry » 02/12/09 07:47 PM

Richard Kaufman wrote:I read the same story in, what was it, The National Enquirer. Do you believe everything you read in The National Enquirer?


That trash shouldn't line a bird's cage. . .now, News of the World is legit. . .
Terry
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: 01/18/08 01:00 PM
Location: Kentucky

Postby mai-ling » 02/12/09 08:01 PM

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
mai-ling wrote:I'm more curious of who will be the next Doug Henning...


That may have to wait till we get further past the ironic and into the post-ironic. Given where we are as far as transparency and congruent behavior... that could be a while. Settle for Marlyn Manson doing some tricks on stage?



oh no! i can't wait!!! I need to know ASAP.

why marilyn manson?

why not alice cooper?
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

User avatar
mai-ling
 
Posts: 740
Joined: 05/10/08 07:25 AM
Location: 60081

Postby Dustin Stinett » 02/12/09 08:07 PM

Jonathan Townsend wrote:That may have to wait till we get further past the ironic and into the post-ironic. Given where we are as far as transparency and congruent behavior... that could be a while. Settle for Marlyn Manson doing some tricks on stage?


While we are but humble magicians here, this interrogatory will tarry with JTs solipsism and the existential quagmire in which he manifestly finds himself entombed.

Jonathan,

Your perspicacious adumbration circumvents my sagacious acumen.

Perchance a de rigueur recapitulation is ineluctable?

Dustin
User avatar
Dustin Stinett
 
Posts: 5787
Joined: 07/22/01 12:00 PM
Location: Southern California

Postby Dave V » 02/12/09 08:18 PM

Well said! (whatever he said :confused: )
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"
User avatar
Dave V
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 03/13/08 01:44 AM

Postby flynn » 02/12/09 08:32 PM

Terry wrote:
flynn wrote:You being naive is funnier. Every time I perform magic or tell someone that I do magic Criss Angel gets a mention. Even with the older folks. I've asked many adult which magician they've heard of or know of it's Criss like 10 to 1 over everybody else. The others that get a mention is almost even between Copperfield and Blaine, although alot of people don't remember David Blaines name. I purposely dont ask the younger set cause that would probably be like 100 to 1. I'm not a Criss Angel fan. If I were gonna catch some shows at Vegas I would probably watch others probably Copperfield, Mac King, Burton, Penn and Teller or a hypnotist first before I go see Believe. The exact question I ask is Name a magician? It can be a famous magician or whoever comes to mind. I've been asking people ever since there was a thread on here last spring about how good Criss was and why or how he got famous. Now I know most magicians wont give him props because of his chops or because he uses camera tricks or whatever, but with the general public he's attained celebrity status.


I guess it depends on what part of the country you're in as to Criss' fame/celebrity. Around here he's not recognized.

Do us a favor and try to break up your sentences into paragraphs or something other than run on. . . . .


You right I've got a run on paragraph going. (If theres such a thing)
flynn
 
Posts: 223
Joined: 03/14/08 04:58 PM
Location: Phoenix AZ

Postby Kevin Connolly » 02/12/09 08:41 PM

Where in the hell is my dictionary!! :cry:
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.
User avatar
Kevin Connolly
 
Posts: 2386
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: New Jersey

Postby flynn » 02/12/09 08:51 PM

I couldnt understand J Townsend post either but at least I knew the words he was using. :D
flynn
 
Posts: 223
Joined: 03/14/08 04:58 PM
Location: Phoenix AZ

Postby ChristianCagigal » 02/12/09 09:03 PM

I did a blog about this topic a while back. This is before primary season during the elections. It's not just about magicians...

I'll stop trying to qualify it.
Here it is:
http://christiancagigal.blogspot.com/20 ... field.html

Hope you like it.

C
User avatar
ChristianCagigal
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 07/29/08 12:35 AM
Location: San Francisco, Ca.

Postby Kevin Connolly » 02/12/09 09:11 PM

I understand Jonathan's post. It's Dustin's post that has forced me from using the English language again. :o

Kevin
(who is signing up for Grunting 101) :cry:
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.
User avatar
Kevin Connolly
 
Posts: 2386
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: New Jersey

Postby magicam » 02/12/09 10:03 PM

Jonathan Townsend wrote:That may have to wait till we get further past the ironic and into the post-ironic. ...

You're already as far beyond "post ironic" as one can get.
User avatar
magicam
 
Posts: 794
Joined: 01/28/09 09:40 PM

Postby David Vamer » 02/12/09 10:18 PM

>>>>>I've discovered that things which are "common knowledge" are often not true. Have you spoken to the mother of his so-called children? Have you spoken to David himself and discussed his "children?"

Anyway, who gives a crap. It's like telling me that so and so is gay, or so and so is dating so and so. I could care less. If he's got a couple of kids and a tootsie living in some home in Vegas is it really our business? Don't you have better things to think about? >>>>>

You seem to think his kids are some kind of scandal. David's son is old enough to know who his father is, and frequently comes to the theater. Why WOULDN'T he potentially be the one to take his father's place, someday? It would be great to see a new magical dynasty along the lines of the Maskelyns or the Willards.

Not sure why that's "Enquirer" material...
David Vamer
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 10/16/08 03:15 AM

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 02/12/09 10:57 PM

mai-ling wrote:...
why marilyn manson?

why not alice cooper?


Alice Cooper and Doug Henning were contemporaries.
Last I looked AC is still touring :)
Jonathan Townsend
 
Posts: 6642
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Westchester, NY

Next

Return to Buzz