M.U.M Ref to ditching in Trouser's pocket, please?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby ehands » 01/27/09 02:01 PM

What issue of M.U.M teaches ditching small objects to unmodified trouser pockets?
Thanks, E
No problem?
Look harder.
ehands

Postby Joe Pecore » 01/27/09 04:23 PM

Can you provide any more details?
Was this something recent?
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.
Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » 01/27/09 04:26 PM

Could it be "THE LAST DITCH" By Bill Taylor in the October 1968 issue?
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.
Joe Pecore

Postby David Alexander » 01/28/09 10:49 AM

Years ago I took the requisite amount of time to work up "The Last Ditch." Properly done it is extremely effective. The key is to develop confidence in the move so theres no hesitation in moving the hand upwards as you toss the coin into the pocket.

Its proven its value many times over when I work for lay people and am not wearing a jacket. Its also good to mess with magicians.

Years ago I walked into Hollywood Magics Newport Beach store and ran into an amateur kid who was probably 22 and a massive smart ass. Conversations with him were essentially you listening to him pontificating. He started talking about The Raven and how it was a prefect effect, etc.

I decided to have some fun. I was wearing a pair of tan slacks and a short-sleeved knit shirt and no jacket. I told him such a device was not necessary, took a half dollar, used Bills Last Ditch maneuver, pretended to place the coin in my left hand and vanished it. Both hands were completely empty and there were no sleeves to hide the coin.

The kid was stunned. Howd you do that? he blurted out. I gave a one word answer. Skill, and didnt say any more. He was quiet for the rest of my visit.
David Alexander

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 01/28/09 10:56 AM

David, how would you compare Bill Taylor's approach with John V. Hope's applications?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Justin Fraser » 01/29/09 04:20 PM

How would you compare it to Pitch and Ditch from Gregory Wilson? Or are these seperate applications for using the pocket.
Justin Fraser

Return to Reference Room