Collins and the "Invisible Deck"

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Bill Wheeler

Collins and the "Invisible Deck"

Postby Bill Wheeler » December 1st, 2008, 11:08 am

I was reading "A Conjuring Melange" on the train this morning, and it appears that Stanley Collins claims credit for the invention of the "Invisible Deck." He doesn't call it that, referring to the deck as "a variation of the Brain Wave Deck". Does he really get the credit? Is this something thats been resolved before?

I thought credit goes to Joe Berg for the deck itself, and credit goes to Eddie Fields for the "Invisible Deck patter".

Thank you in advance,

Bill
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: Collins and the "Invisible Deck"

Postby Joe Pecore » December 1st, 2008, 11:25 am

Does Collins provide a year?

I've not read it but I see that "A Conjuring Melange" was published by Fleming in 1947.

Joe Berg's Ultra Mental Deck and Eddie Fields Invisible Deck routine was developed in 1936.

Bill Wheeler

Re: Collins and the "Invisible Deck"

Postby Bill Wheeler » December 1st, 2008, 11:47 am

I will reread the text later today just to make sure. But Collins doesn't provide a year. From what I've read so far, Collins does provide some credits fairly casually, (i.e., a reference to a name but not the book) and then Fleming provided specific citations.
Driver: Callaway FT-5

Irons: Titlest AP-1

Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64

Putter: i-series Black #9

Return to “Reference Room”