Dutch Looper / English Monte / English Three Card Trick

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Sebastien L.

Dutch Looper / English Monte / English Three Card Trick

Postby Sebastien L. » September 9th, 2008, 11:39 am

Hi everyone.

I was curious about the old pitchman's item, the Dutch Looper. I've heard much about it and I was trying to track down what I could about this item. I've seen Bob Sheet's Killer Kitson Miracle and understand it's an improved version of the original. I've also read that the Dutch Looper is described in Ken Brooke's The Unique Years, but I am not sure if this is also an improved version.

Can anyone point me to more references on this routine? I am interested in the more basic or older versions and I'd like to see how this trick has evolved. Perhaps even the differences between the pitch version and magicians' versions. I'd appreciate any pointers. Many thanks.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Dutch Looper / English Monte / English Three Card Trick

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 9th, 2008, 12:26 pm

The best version of this is Pat Page's Three-Card Monte. In his hands it is an absolute stunning miracle. You have to get the gimmick made exactly the way Pat makes his.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » September 9th, 2008, 12:29 pm

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » September 9th, 2008, 12:36 pm

The version in Ken Brooke 'The Unique Years' is the old version without any technical improvments. It is just Ken Brooke's handling of the old trick and exactly as he used to pitch it.

IMHO, The older version is still very effective for laymen as a routine. Pat Page's version will fool those that know the method.
Bada-Bing! - The new e-book with Ten tricks for real world performance. Available now at http://retrorocketmagic.com/product/bada-bing-10-new-card-tricks-for-the-real-world/

Sebastien L.

Postby Sebastien L. » September 9th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Many thanks, Ryan, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. I will track down a copy of the book.

Mr. Kaufman , I believe I know what the exact gimmick is for Mr. Page's routine. It's not quite what I'm going after in this instance.

Now all I'll need to figure out is how to make 14 sets of Dutch Loopers out of 1 deck of cards.

Hallas

Postby Hallas » September 10th, 2008, 5:20 pm

I remember as a young guy being fooled by Ken's handling for The Dutch Looper even though I was aware of that type of gaff. John Oakley caught me with it. As giveaways and in magic sets of course, one simply shows three cards with a queen in the middle and turns the packet down asking someone to pick the picture card, that's it. Ken made a real routine out of it.

Was it ever called "The Dutch Looper" before Ken's routine? I always thought that bit of B.S. was his.

Paul

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » September 10th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Hallas wrote:Was it ever called "The Dutch Looper" before Ken's routine? I always thought that bit of B.S. was his.

In "Ken Brooke's Magic - The Unique Years" he says it's an old principle and that he himself had been doing it since he was nine. Apparently the "Dutch Looper" thing was just something he dreamed up and has no real significance.

Did you know Arthur Day? He was a good friend of Ken Brooke, and the Dutch Looper was one of his favourites.

I never bought Pat Page's original Kitson Miracle, but it seems to be still available:

http://www.funfilledentertainment.com/CardJ.html

http://www.hocuspocusmagic.com/epages/h ... Miracle%22

http://www.magiclegends.com/gamingequip.html

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 10th, 2008, 8:47 pm

If you've never seen Pat do this, it's a staggering miracle and light years beyond the simple business of having a card hidden behind a flap card.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » September 28th, 2008, 10:31 am

I've just released an article in The Wizards' Journal #17 (on my site) called "Double Dutch Loopers" which tries to address the original poster's requests:
It goes into the "mysterious" history surrounding this effect, gives both pitchman's and magician's versions including how to mave the various different gimmicks, plus some moves that simplify and "clean-up" a lot of the standard moves. It's written as an introduction to the Dutch Looper for the "inquisitive magician," and is not really intended for those who have been doing it for years.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

performer

Postby performer » April 7th, 2016, 11:51 am

I am bringing back this old thread from the dead since I know rather a lot about the Dutch Looper having sold and given away thousands of them. I bet I have sold more Dutch Loopers than anyone in history. Patrick Page had an excellent version using a flap card but it really isn't necessary. It does add a tiny bit at the end of the effect but it isn't worth the hassle of making the flap card which must take ages to make a single Looper. I can make 14 in 10 minutes or so out of one deck of cards.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » April 7th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Edwin Corrie wrote:Did you know Arthur Day? He was a good friend of Ken Brooke, and the Dutch Looper was one of his favourites.

We knew Arthur and Hazel, of course. Great people. Arthur was terrific with a pair of scissors and cut all kinds of crazy magic designs and envelopes. He was also a wizard when it came to “fancy” calligraphy. Christmas cards and cards just for the fun of it used to turn up on a regular basis. We have a few here and there, but sadly most are tucked away in the Box-That-Cannot-Be Found.

Oddly, I have no recollection of seeing a silhouette. But he must have.

Courtesy of Paul Stone (if I recall correctly) Arthur did cruise ships for a while, cutting this and that.

Somewhere we have a photo of Arthur and Ken Brooke, both wearing red sponge noses, long before Red Nose Day and all that. Clowns I think they’re were supposed to be.

Old post indeed, but I wasn’t on line when this first appeared. Better late than never, I think.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » April 8th, 2016, 3:12 am

I got to know Arthur through origami, but he was incredible with his paper cutting and so immaculately neat in everything he did. Yes, he did do a bit of silhouette work too. He was also a great fan (and I believe a friend) of Tom Mullica. The other day I came across a photo of him in "Pabular", taken at the Ramsay Reunion (1977?).

Just to get back to the Dutch Looper: another related monte routine was Gaetan Bloom's Visible Monte. Different method but a similar idea.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » April 8th, 2016, 4:01 am

You can find Ken Brooke's The Dutch Looper explained by Lewis Ganson in The Gen, Vol. 13, no 11, March 1958, page 325.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » April 8th, 2016, 4:22 am

At a magic convention many years ago, Ken Brooke was demming The Dutch Looper.

Suddenly he said, "I'm fed up making these at three in the morning. I'm sick of it. Here you can all have one."

He started throwing sets of cards out to all the magicians around the stand - and there was always a crowd around Ken's stand. After everyone had a set he said, "You all have a set now, but the cards are useless without the instructions and full routine . . . and those are five shillings."

performer

Postby performer » April 8th, 2016, 11:19 am

I have always said that Ken Brooke was the greatest magic demonstrator (for magicians) of all time. There has never been one to equal him. But that is because he started on street markets selling magic to the public. He was a GRAFTER! The word "Grafter" is the British word for pitchman. And in fact I knew many old grafters that knew him too. You always have an edge over other magicians if you have the ability to draw crowds and pitch magic to the public. Or any product come to that. Very few magicians have done grafting to any extent. I know Tommy Cooper worked the glass cutter and a tiny few others. Harry Lorayne also pitched svengali decks at one time. It gives you what I call "the grafter's edge" which is a certain shrewdness concerning human nature and this is of inestimable value when you are working to people. Because magic is not props or tricks. It is PEOPLE.

Any fool can manipulate cards or coins (and there are a lot of fools in magic). Great magicians know how to manipulate the PEOPLE. And Ken Brooke certainly knew how to do that. And yes. I learned the Dutch Looper from his instructions. Not that I think there was anything Dutch about it. I think Ken invented that name himself for some unknown reason. Perhaps a Dutch magician showed it to him although I know it has been a pitch and fairground item even before the days of Ken Brooke.

performer

Postby performer » November 21st, 2016, 4:47 am

I am on a bit of a Dutch Looper kick at the moment and came across this old thread. I can't remember if I have posted this already but it won't hurt for you to see it again. I am doing the Dutch Looper trick about a minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3GSItQV6io

Now here is Patrick Page doing an excellent version. He uses a flap card which may or may not be an improvement. I don't think it is necessary although magicians would certainly like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vuco5nI88E

And here is Bob Sheets doing it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWN2ulMWPY

Return to “Reference Room”