Dutch Looper / English Monte / English Three Card Trick

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby Sebastien L. » 09/09/08 11:39 AM

Hi everyone.

I was curious about the old pitchman's item, the Dutch Looper. I've heard much about it and I was trying to track down what I could about this item. I've seen Bob Sheet's Killer Kitson Miracle and understand it's an improved version of the original. I've also read that the Dutch Looper is described in Ken Brooke's The Unique Years, but I am not sure if this is also an improved version.

Can anyone point me to more references on this routine? I am interested in the more basic or older versions and I'd like to see how this trick has evolved. Perhaps even the differences between the pitch version and magicians' versions. I'd appreciate any pointers. Many thanks.
Sebastien L.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/09/08 12:26 PM

The best version of this is Pat Page's Three-Card Monte. In his hands it is an absolute stunning miracle. You have to get the gimmick made exactly the way Pat makes his.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby El Mystico » 09/09/08 12:29 PM

El Mystico

Postby Ryan Matney » 09/09/08 12:36 PM

The version in Ken Brooke 'The Unique Years' is the old version without any technical improvments. It is just Ken Brooke's handling of the old trick and exactly as he used to pitch it.

IMHO, The older version is still very effective for laymen as a routine. Pat Page's version will fool those that know the method.
Ryan Matney

Postby Sebastien L. » 09/09/08 01:06 PM

Many thanks, Ryan, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. I will track down a copy of the book.

Mr. Kaufman , I believe I know what the exact gimmick is for Mr. Page's routine. It's not quite what I'm going after in this instance.

Now all I'll need to figure out is how to make 14 sets of Dutch Loopers out of 1 deck of cards.
Sebastien L.

Postby Hallas » 09/10/08 05:20 PM

I remember as a young guy being fooled by Ken's handling for The Dutch Looper even though I was aware of that type of gaff. John Oakley caught me with it. As giveaways and in magic sets of course, one simply shows three cards with a queen in the middle and turns the packet down asking someone to pick the picture card, that's it. Ken made a real routine out of it.

Was it ever called "The Dutch Looper" before Ken's routine? I always thought that bit of B.S. was his.

Paul
Hallas

Postby Edwin Corrie » 09/10/08 08:17 PM

Hallas wrote:Was it ever called "The Dutch Looper" before Ken's routine? I always thought that bit of B.S. was his.

In "Ken Brooke's Magic - The Unique Years" he says it's an old principle and that he himself had been doing it since he was nine. Apparently the "Dutch Looper" thing was just something he dreamed up and has no real significance.

Did you know Arthur Day? He was a good friend of Ken Brooke, and the Dutch Looper was one of his favourites.

I never bought Pat Page's original Kitson Miracle, but it seems to be still available:

http://www.funfilledentertainment.com/CardJ.html

http://www.hocuspocusmagic.com/epages/h ... Miracle%22

http://www.magiclegends.com/gamingequip.html
Edwin Corrie

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/10/08 08:47 PM

If you've never seen Pat do this, it's a staggering miracle and light years beyond the simple business of having a card hidden behind a flap card.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Spellbinder » 09/28/08 10:31 AM

I've just released an article in The Wizards' Journal #17 (on my site) called "Double Dutch Loopers" which tries to address the original poster's requests:
It goes into the "mysterious" history surrounding this effect, gives both pitchman's and magician's versions including how to mave the various different gimmicks, plus some moves that simplify and "clean-up" a lot of the standard moves. It's written as an introduction to the Dutch Looper for the "inquisitive magician," and is not really intended for those who have been doing it for years.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook
Spellbinder

Return to Reference Room