Creating smoke in small spaces

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Postby Umpa Duze » 08/31/08 09:52 PM

Hi All,
I wonder if anyone has experience with generating enough smoke to fill a small cabinet (2ft cube). Currently I have been experimenting with a glo-plug type flash tube using a combination of flash cotton/flash paper and smoke powder. The results are not as good as I hoped as much of the smoke powder does not burn when the flashpot goes off. I am going to try mixing some fast and slow - flash cotton with the smoke powder to see if that works. But, I cant help feeling like I maybe on the wrong road altogether. This is for a small box and I can use an ignition system from 1.5v to 9v. I would appreciate any help you might be able to give me.

Thanks,
Umpa
Umpa Duze

Postby 777 » 09/02/08 12:50 PM

Hi Umpa Duze
first what do you want the smoke to do.linger evap fast and so on.the flash pot is not hot enough for the smoke powder to work. first off use a small amount of smoke powder with slow burning flash cotton,as it needs some good amount of heat to get going like a charcol block.by the way its not too great to breathin that sort of smoke.
have you tryed to look up a product called mini fogger,the smoke lasts longer and is controled at the touch of a button,and alot less chance of a fire
S.C.

Postby Umpa Duze » 09/04/08 01:23 AM

Hi S.C.,
My hope is to generate enough smoke, so that when the box is opened, it lets out a small cloud. The effect I am working on is OOPS, wherein a shoe is accidentally burnt to a crisp. I have made a number of practical and presentational changes to increase the impact of the magic. But, I have struggled with the smoke production. The mini fogger looks like it might do the job, but I am still wondering what type of ignition device is used to ignite and sustain the slow burning cotton. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Umpa
Cheers,
Umpa Duze
Umpa Duze

Postby Spellbinder » 09/05/08 12:22 PM

The original OOPS mahcine was "smoked" with a UF Grant Fingertip Flashpot using flashpaper and black powder. The flashpot was rigged like a chimney, sending the flash up but most of the smoke down into the box. Jim Gerrish includes this information in his OOPS Machine directions. Is it not enough for you?
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook
Spellbinder

Postby 777 » 09/05/08 02:46 PM

Hi Umpa Duze I think a 9v flash pot should do the trick.as Spellbinder says use a raised wall around the unit/ copper sheet is quite good.
All the best
S.C.

Postby Umpa Duze » 09/09/08 12:28 AM

Hi,
Thanks to both of you. Sorry for the delay in responding. My preference was for a delayed reaction that would allow me to be away from the cabinet when the problem occured. Combining the advice from both of you and adding a little timing circuit, I was able to get the effect I wanted.

I really appreciate the help I get here. This is a wonderful and generous group.

Umpa Duze
Cheers,
Umpa Duze
Umpa Duze

Postby Greg Edmonds » 09/09/08 07:03 AM

There are several chemical compositions which will produce fairly copious amounts of smoke with just a couple of drops being mixed.

These, naturally, can be a bit foul smelling on the one hand, and even dangerous when inhaled on the other.

If you can be more specific about exactly how you want to use the smoke, whether you're producing animals from it (etc.), and whether or not you're in a well-ventilated area, I might be able to make some recommendations. I created chemical smoke out of various noxious compounds when a teenage magician. Much of the stuff I used, if you're not a chemist or in the medical field, would be much harder to get today, I suspect.

A couple of the instant smoke-from sleeve or real smoke at fingertip gimmicks advertised in magic magazines over the last decade or so actually contained very dangerous chemicals which should not have been used for the purposes described. Several performers lost sleeves on expensive tuxedo jackets and worse.

Greg
Greg Edmonds

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/09/08 10:43 AM

Please do not post any formulae on this website. That type of information should only be passed along via private e-mail.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Return to General