sawing a lady in half

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Naphtalia

sawing a lady in half

Postby Naphtalia » July 14th, 2008, 4:54 pm

I know Selbits or Goldin are variously credited with the original illusion of sawing a lady in half.

Do we have the names of assistants who were first sawed in half? I haven't been able to find the name for either, but thought I'd check with the experts here.

Many thanks
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Gary Brown

Re: sawing a lady in half

Postby Gary Brown » July 15th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Though I've done some research on this, can't say I've ever come across the name of any of the sawn-through assistants.

Two interesting, somewhat related, points:

1. Goldin reportedly first sawed a man into two, but found he got better results sawing a woman.

2. According to Charles Reynolds, the floating assistant on Thurston's levitation posters was Imogene Coca's mother. (For those who don't recall or know, Imogene Coca was a famous comedian best known for her work with Sid Caesar.

Gary Brown
Gary Brown

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » July 16th, 2008, 10:14 am

Thanks Gary.

I had come across that Goldin had used a young boy or a man in my research.

I loved Imogene Coca when I was younger. That certainly brought a smile.

Since the first part of the presentation I'm working on is going to talk about assistants, it helps to know that while we know about the magicians, the names of the assistants are lost.

I appreciate the help.
Naphtalia

Gary Brown

Postby Gary Brown » July 17th, 2008, 10:19 pm

There are some assistants that are not lost to history -- some have become significant figures in magic. Several, such as Gay Blackstone and Swan Cardini, were lifelong assistant who became celebrities in their own right. John Thompson's assistant, Pamela Hayes, is a well-known performer who plays as much a part in the act as the magician himself. Think-A-Drink Hoffmann had one assistant, whose name I cannot recall at this writing, became a famous film star. And, finally, if you look through the pages of this forum, I believe you will find posts by one assistant to an extremely well-known magician who has become an active participant in magic history discussions.

Hope this helps.

Gary Brown
Gary Brown

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » July 18th, 2008, 3:15 am

Oh, I'm not writing off all assistants. I have great respect. For the points I'm looking to make though, it helps that this particular assistant is unknown.
Naphtalia

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 18th, 2008, 2:39 pm

Gary;
If you are alluding to The Pendragons, I would suggest that Mrs. P. is a full partner rather than a mere assistant. The same would go for he "Polish" duo.

I have noticed that for many of the great acts it is a partnership rather than a master/assistant relationship. This full partnership seems to me to be as it should be.
Jim

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » July 20th, 2008, 9:28 am

Well Moi Yo Miller was sawn in half, by Dante, when very young.
The Great Lyle used to bill Lilyan Dickinson,'The girld who has been sawn in half over 7500 times'.( July 1953, Birmingham Hippodrome UK) That must be some sort of record.
I haven't found any mention of Goldin or Selbit's assistants' names.Then there's the Turkish magician whose name escape me at present.Zati Sungar of Turkey is worth an investigation
Florence Gillespie joined Harry & Pete Bouton n 1913/14 with an extra male assistant, Vaughn Martin. This was when Blackstone was Fredrik the Great.Or perhaps Inez Norse(later Mrs. Blackstone)who joined Harry in 1916.
You never know whether Dedi in BC times might have perfomed it with a lady assistant though it is said he refused King Cheops
the offer of a condemned prisoner to perform his chopping head off trick!
Allen Tipton UK

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”