Brainwaves: Real Life Trumps Sci-Fi

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Postby jerry lazar » 06/08/08 02:53 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/techn ... novel.html

Once again, truth is stranger than fiction -- you can now play videogames sans joystick... Just concentrate and transmit your thoughts... Maneuver your monitor with only your mind!... And for only $300!...

Mentalists could do well to incorporate the existence of such real-life technological developments into their patter/presentation... before it's so commonplace as to render the wonder of mindreading obsolete!...
jerry lazar

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 06/08/08 03:33 PM

Read some more science fiction - VR interfaces have been with us since the 1960s and issues about what happens when innermost thoughts become surface level reads or actions ... since Crichton's "Terminal Man".

Yeah - that helmet is nice - for a start.

Probably great fun for a red-herring to frame the techno-mentalism (TM?) as the method rather then our mundane but more sure-fire methodology.

Now when I turn flip the red switch our subject will feel an unconscious affinity for red spot cards - and when I set the dial to 'Three' they will actually select the three of diamonds or hearts - still working on that fine tuning... but let's watch what they do when I hit the send key.

:)

*+ added -jt - okay it's a few hours later and remembered the image of Doctor Morbius from "Forbidden Planet" and that three-d visualizer such a headset controlled - back in the 1950s.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on 06/08/08 05:19 PM, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: added visual item for those who are not book people ;)
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Return to Link Watch