MagicPedia question

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/10/08 10:39 AM

There has only been a few people lately contributing on MagicPedia and I was wondering why.
Is it because you didn't know anyone can add pages or update any page? Is it too complicated to figure out how to edit?

It's a great free resource provided by Genii Magazine to preserve our magic heritage!
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.
Joe Pecore

Postby Richard Kaufman » 05/10/08 11:49 AM

Yes, let's hear why more of you aren't contributing ... fess up!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby El Mystico » 05/10/08 04:27 PM

I've just had the experience of setting up a wiki for my work. 1000 employees had access; 6 contributed. I wasn't surprised. I think in part there is a reluctance in a relatively small community, like Genii forum and my work, to post something, with the unspoken assumption that you are an expert on the topic; with the risk that someone is going to highlight your errors.
Plus, if you are going to do it properly, it takes a lot of time to do.
Also, there is the general point that in any on line community, the vast majority prefer to be lurkers.
(I wonder if, in forums devoted to Web 2.0, the majority are still lurkers?)
El Mystico

Postby Richard Kaufman » 05/10/08 05:12 PM

Well, no one is going to openly criticize your work, but it might get edited. Even my own writing on MagicPedia has been edited.

That's the nature of the beast. However, we have built-in safequards because of the software, which allow us to return to prior versions.

I edit postings by others as my time permits. The point of this is that we're trying to build something that everyone interested in our field can use!
Richard Kaufman

Postby castawaydave » 05/10/08 06:03 PM

I have contributed several pieces on subjects I know a bit about (bios of Max Malini and Paul Rosini; brief history of "The Asparagus Valley Cultural Society"...) ...

As well put by ElMystico, not being an "expert" on other topics (hardly an axpert on the above either, truth be told) I have held off, because whatever entries I'd contribute couldn't be fully-rounded pieces.

Are you interested in little teeny entries to "get the ball rolling" on certain subjects...i.e., one may not know all details of someone's bio, but could write a sentence or two...is that enough better than nothing?

Certainly the idea is for others to help add to existing entries to bring incomplete entries up to speed (the "bar magic" section for example, was very brief, & I fleshed that area out a little bit), so are bits and pieces desirable as well as longer, more thorough items?

--I have been tempted to do "bios" for a couple of my favorite guys who are almost forgotten nowdays, but have not felt that the very few "specific biographical facts" I know about them was enough to warrant an entry.

I could certainly start entries on a number of subjects if very brief snippets are o.k.
castawaydave

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/10/08 06:19 PM

I would like to see even small snippets on any subject in MagicPedia. Everyone is welcomed to join in!
Joe Pecore

Postby castawaydave » 05/10/08 06:22 PM

Alrighty then, you asked for it! ;^D
castawaydave

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/10/08 06:31 PM

One of the concept in a wiki like MagicPedia is to create links for any word you want using square brackets around it like [[this]]. Then it is up to someone to create that page. Here is a list of the most WantedPages in MagicPedia that have links but no page created for it yet.

Join MagicPedia or login then click on any of those links to start adding information about that topic or person that you know something about.
Joe Pecore

Postby DrDanny » 05/11/08 11:57 AM

Is it OK to plagiarize from other free *pedia? The Ricky Jay article at wikipedia.org is a pretty good start and maybe the basis of biographical entries.
DrDanny

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/11/08 03:31 PM

Yes DrDanny, I believe wikipedia's permission to reproduce content has already been granted to everyone without needing a request. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights

Feel free to use the MagicPedia template "{{Wikipedia}}" in any article to provide a link back to Wikipedia like I did for Chan_Canasta
Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/12/08 08:48 AM

Something I would like to point out is the difference I see between MagicPedia and Wikipedia. I think of Wikipedia as being written for the general public where MagicPedia articles are written towards magicians. Therefor we can feel free to use terms that would most likely get edited out on Wikipedia.

One thing I would like to explore, if MagicPedia grows, is to see if we could become more closely integrated with WikiPedia as a Wiki Project so that links between the two are transparent.
Joe Pecore

Postby castawaydave » 05/15/08 01:02 AM

This will probably be a dumb question:

--Is it possible to find out who wrote certain Magicpedia entries?

Someone wrote a very good bio about Lou Derman.

I had wanted to memorialize that guy and never did because was worried I didn't have enough info to do it right.

Someone did (I have a guess who), and I'd like to compliment them...
Last edited by castawaydave on 05/15/08 01:03 AM, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: forgot some "words"
castawaydave

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/15/08 05:36 AM

Yes. Just click on the "history" link.
Joe Pecore

Postby castawaydave » 05/20/08 06:53 PM

Heh heh. I am slow, but I catch on eventually.

Well done, and thank you for the nice biography about Lou Derman, Mr. Pecore.
castawaydave

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/20/08 07:13 PM

Thanks for your contributions as well!
Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » 05/21/08 10:50 AM

I started a new category in MagicPedia called Celebrities. I invite everyone to add more!
Joe Pecore

Postby Richard Kaufman » 05/21/08 10:58 AM

Thanks to Joe, there are no over 800 entries in MagicPedia--many of these are brief and we could use your help in expanding them with greater detail. Head on over to www.magicpedia.net, register, and write!
Richard Kaufman

Return to Link Watch