Magic Friday?

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Postby Jamie D. Grant » 05/04/08 05:16 PM

Hi All,

I've written this column for a couple of years now and I was just wondering how many people, if any, from this neck of the woods know of its existence?

Magic Friday

Cheers,

jamie d. grant
User avatar
Jamie D. Grant
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 04/01/08 10:58 PM

Postby Glenn Godsey » 05/07/08 12:03 AM

I am an avid reader of Magic Friday. It is very informative in a way that no other sort of review can be.

It is also the only worthwhile column in the "Buffet" section. All the rest of the "buffet" should be trashed and your part expanded.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Glenn Godsey
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 03/22/08 02:09 AM

Postby Jamie D. Grant » 05/16/08 10:33 AM

Hiya Glenn-

That's very kind! Thanks for the nice words!

Magically,

~jdg
User avatar
Jamie D. Grant
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 04/01/08 10:58 PM

Postby Frank Starsinic » 05/16/08 12:20 PM

I've taken in many of your columns and I've taken in many of your bottles. I enjoy both.

Too many DVDs and tricks get reviewed with baseless wild enthusiasm. Your columns have a unique twist. You're providing spectator reactions as a basis for your review. A good idea.
We see enough of the other stuff already.

Keep up the good work.
Frank Starsinic
 
Posts: 331
Joined: 01/23/08 01:00 PM
Location: Davis,CA

Postby Scott M. » 05/17/08 10:46 AM

I love this column and wish you did it more often. I used to look forward to it when it was posted weekly.
Scott M.
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 03/13/08 12:42 AM
Location: NYC

Postby Jamie D. Grant » 06/04/08 01:32 AM

Yeah, my life's a bit of a gong show (time wise) but I am going to try and get it out more often. Maybe Richard would like me to guest write one for Genii sometime ;)

~jdg
User avatar
Jamie D. Grant
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 04/01/08 10:58 PM

Postby Chris Bailey » 06/05/08 05:39 PM

I think Magic Friday would be a great column in Genii. I like reading your posts and I particularly like that angle you have regarding the guy that "knows some magic". It's interesting seeing some things you do that fool laypeople really bad but don't fool this guy and other things that fry him bad.
Chris Bailey
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 02/01/08 01:00 PM
Location: Colorado

Postby DrDanny » 06/05/08 06:53 PM

Chris Bailey wrote:I think Magic Friday would be a great column in Genii. ...

I'd have to agree. Are you listening, Richard?
DrDanny
 
Posts: 293
Joined: 01/22/08 01:00 PM
Location: Sunnyvale CA

Postby Jamie D. Grant » 06/24/08 01:06 AM

Scott M. wrote:I love this column and wish you did it more often. I used to look forward to it when it was posted weekly.


Hiya!

It looks like I'm back onto a weekly schedule!

On a side note- these fancy bullets Richard have here are great! I'm loving the red blast with the exclamation...

~jdg
User avatar
Jamie D. Grant
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 04/01/08 10:58 PM

Postby castawaydave » 06/24/08 02:08 AM

I learned of your impossible objects 1st, and was very impressed. --A bit later, discovered your column and was further impressed.

Reading your stuff is not only fun, but informative as well (sorry if that sounds cheesy--meant as a compliment).

[Wacky digression alert: Away back when I was growing up, there were things called "newspapers" that carried stuff called "news", and sometimes if you were lucky (depending on the town you lived in), the morning paper would have a couple of cool/amusing/hilarious/thought-provoking folks on staff, called "regular columnists", who would become friends, even though you'd never meet them. (Viva Herb Caen.) Nowadays I hear whipper-snappers refering to things called "blogs" on the so-called "internets"; folks writing regular columns you find, and come to enjoy.]

Jamie: There is a lot of stuff online. Your stuff strikes me as being among the better bits. --Have fun--you've got a pretty good batting average going. :^D

Continue the good work. Your upbeat attitude is much appreciated.
Last edited by castawaydave on 06/24/08 02:14 AM, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: pesky punctuation, missing words, etc.
castawaydave
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: California

Postby Jamie D. Grant » 07/01/08 11:15 PM

castawaydave wrote:I learned of your impossible objects 1st, and was very impressed. --A bit later, discovered your column and was further impressed.

Reading your stuff is not only fun, but informative as well (sorry if that sounds cheesy--meant as a compliment).

[Wacky digression alert: Away back when I was growing up, there were things called "newspapers" that carried stuff called "news", and sometimes if you were lucky (depending on the town you lived in), the morning paper would have a couple of cool/amusing/hilarious/thought-provoking folks on staff, called "regular columnists", who would become friends, even though you'd never meet them. (Viva Herb Caen.) Nowadays I hear whipper-snappers refering to things called "blogs" on the so-called "internets"; folks writing regular columns you find, and come to enjoy.]

Jamie: There is a lot of stuff online. Your stuff strikes me as being among the better bits. --Have fun--you've got a pretty good batting average going. :^D

Continue the good work. Your upbeat attitude is much appreciated.


That made my day~

and is so kind. I truly appreciate it- thanks so much!

~jdg
User avatar
Jamie D. Grant
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 04/01/08 10:58 PM

Postby Jamie D. Grant » 09/03/08 02:39 AM

Scott M. wrote:I love this column and wish you did it more often. I used to look forward to it when it was posted weekly.


Just as an update, I took the summer to learn a bunch of new effects- it should be a great fall!

~jamie
www.whatizit.net
User avatar
Jamie D. Grant
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 04/01/08 10:58 PM

Postby Jamie D. Grant » 11/22/08 05:46 PM

Now available in additional Blog form!

www.magicfriday.blogspot.com
User avatar
Jamie D. Grant
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 04/01/08 10:58 PM

Postby Jason Fleming » 12/11/08 07:30 AM

Magic Friday is a great contribution and gift to the rest of us. Thank you for continuing it! I love reading your stuff.
Jason Fleming
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 11/14/08 08:34 AM

Postby Joe Mckay » 12/11/08 02:27 PM

As a result of this thread, I have checked out the 'Magic Friday' column for the first time. Excellent stuff. I have read about 5 or 6 columns and am very impressed. I really like the 'Angry Bob Rating' (a useful insight since many people perform magic for 'wise guys' who know a bit about magic - in my case, most of my family). Also - reviewing individual tricks from DVDS/books is a really neat idea. Thanks for your work Jamie - for a magic hobbyist like myself I find your approach to be spot on. I look forward to checking out the rest of the columns. God bless Bookmarks...

Joe
Joe Mckay
 
Posts: 566
Joined: 04/13/08 06:56 AM

Postby Jamie D. Grant » 01/12/10 03:30 AM

Hiya Gang!

My first video review for Magic Friday is now up if anyone's interested. It's for Paul Vigil's "Diplopia":

http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2010/01 ... vigil.html

Thanks for checking it out!

All my best,

jamie
User avatar
Jamie D. Grant
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 04/01/08 10:58 PM

Postby Jamie D. Grant » 03/02/10 12:08 PM

A few new reviews have gone up, if you're interested:

www.magicfriday.blogspot.com
User avatar
Jamie D. Grant
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 04/01/08 10:58 PM


Return to Link Watch