Marlo's contribution to Cardmagic

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Philippe Noël » 05/04/08 11:17 AM

What do you think are the main Marlo's contributions to cardmagic?
I personnaly find that his idea to make a seven card assembly was great.
Other ideas?
Philippe Noël

Postby Richard Kaufman » 05/04/08 12:49 PM

We have a special Marlo edition of "Magicana" coming up, with what I feel are Ed Marlo's best card tricks. Written by Jon Racherbamer, these 6 card tricks could become your repertoire.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby El Mystico » 05/04/08 01:01 PM

That's great.

I far prefer Vernon's work, but eveery now and tthen I come across a really good Marlo idea, and think a collection of Marlo's best would be a real contribution. Maybe this will be a start?
El Mystico

Postby Philippe Noël » 05/04/08 01:22 PM

What do you think of his future classic?
It seems it never became a classic.
Except perhaps his streamlined classic which influenced Dingle's Regal Royal Flush I think.
Philippe Noël

Postby Mats Kjellstrom » 05/09/08 02:00 PM

I love Ed Marlos work with the fantastic shuffle/move:
FARO SHUFFLE. Yo can do amazing magic with Marlos faro effects and calculations...very clever ideas. He was a true genius.

Combine the faro shuffle with a memo stack and you can do true killer card magic. [people looks very weird after seeing me do stuff by marlo]
Mats Kjellstrom

Postby Richard Kaufman » 05/09/08 04:20 PM

The Future Classic never became a classic, it's true, however the All-Alike count sequence has become a part of many repertoires, particularly the way Larry Jennings modified it so the cards aren't dealt to the table.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Silly Walter » 05/29/08 11:52 PM

Despite the fact that Marlo published tons of stuff that are not really practical or useful at all, he did publish some fantastic and some very commercial effects. The material in the Cardician and Marlo in Spades has some wonderful routines. One of my favorite effects of Marlo is Topsy-Turvy Aces.

He also inspired many current magicians either in person or through his work.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear
Silly Walter

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » 05/30/08 01:18 PM

Marlo spurred lots of cardmen to believe that there are an unlimited range of possibilities. Like Vernon, he cared about details, thoroughness, finesses, and subtleties. Unlike Vernon, however, he primarily focused on methods and the Work. Vernon included other aspects of the entertainment package.There is no telling how many cardmen both legends inspired, instructed, and transformed. They influenced an entire generation of cardmen and created chain-reactions of creativity. Second generation guys like Jennings, Cervon, Ortiz, Klause, Skinner (to name a few) ended up writing their own books. But rest assured the DNA of Marlo's contribution is evident in the work of these guys. I once wrote, "Marlo during his lifetime was a non-stop, inexhaustible card-trick machine; an inimitable phenomenon." I also added: "There is little doubt that Marlo's single-minded, obsessive drive to think of everything possible and to attain encyclopedic knowledge and meticulously record his quest, accounted for the unwieldy size of his literary bequest as well as the chinks in his character. Marlo had the genius to will one thing: to exhaust all the possibilities and devise every method. He ravished his own psyche and for the most part, he spent every wakeful hour thinking about card magic. Most people considered such obsessive behavior over the top and a bit nutty. Others said he was possessed or bewitched. But if you read through Marlo's oeuvre, you will stop asking why and will rejoice in its munificence."

There is of course "dross" and dubious stuff in every cardman's works, including Vernon's. (e.g. The Vernon Chronicles) Students must sift and sort. Marlo simply gave us a surfeit to sort through.

Perhaps one day I will do some sifting and sorting and then write THE BEST OF MARLO?

Meanwhile...I'm told that Magic Inc. is putting out a new, hard-cover book on Marlo's early stuff that will give new generations a run for their money. In this regard, the beat goes on...

Onward, indeed...
Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Richard Kaufman » 05/30/08 01:24 PM

The Marlo edition of Magicana will appear in our August issue.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Larry Barnowsky » 06/06/08 11:22 AM

Marlo's "One at a Time Aces" is a favorite of mine which I perform often. I watched Harry Lorayne do this on the Mike Douglas Show in the mid 60s and loved the effect (I doubt Harry remembers this :) ). I reconstructed the method and it was many years later that I found it was already written up in the four Ace chapter in Tarbell and very close to the method that I had developed.
The Book of Destiny
barnowskymagic.com
Larry Barnowsky

Postby Joe Mckay » 08/02/08 09:06 PM

Hi Richard - Looks like another great issue! (I am getting mine on Monday)...

I have a quick question though - I have had a look at the Table Of Contents and was wondering if the Marlo Magicana has being put back for another month?

All the best,

Joe
Joe Mckay

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/02/08 09:09 PM

As I was writing, the Vernon material ballooned to 10,000 words. Rather than skimp on that, I moved the Marlo Magicana (11.5 pages) to September. That issue is already at the printer, so I can say with absolute certainty that the Marlo Magicana is in the September issue!
Richard Kaufman

Postby Joe Mckay » 08/02/08 09:11 PM

That's great!

The GENII has gone from strength to strength under your guidance. Thanks for all the hard work...

All the best,

Joe
Joe Mckay

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes