FISM 2006 ... Going for the first time

Flying around the world for the perfect magic convention? Save some dough and share your room.

Postby Guest » 05/08/06 02:04 PM

Hello,

Since I'm going to FISM for the first time, I'm wondering what you think are some good tips to keep in mind when I attend this event. I got a tip that I should have plenty of Vitamin C. since the word is that no one sleeps under a FISM event. Gospel truth ot not? LOL

Any good tips would be most helpful, as I'd like to make the most of the time at the event. I'm looking forward to meeting many magicians. It should be interesting to see all kinds of magic, as a spectator.

Postby Pete Biro » 05/08/06 04:05 PM

Gooing there? You are already almost there. The most important for me is visiting the people from all other parts of the world.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 05/10/06 02:04 PM

Yes, well I live four hours north west of Stockholm. It's a bit of a trip, although not too far away.

But I hear that people don't sleep a great deal at FISM. The word was if you slept, something was wrong! Or so I heard from Sue Anne.

By the way, our programme is updated. Please check our webpage.

Regards,

Andreas Ulanowsky
FISM 2006
www.fism.com

Postby Guest » 05/19/06 02:01 PM

I attended my first FISM three years ago so I'm not an expert at this, but here are some ideas for Stockholm. (1) Try to stay as close to the convention center as possible. You do not want to spend all of your time getting to the events as you will start early in the morning and end late in the evening. (2) I looked for lodging outside of those mentioned by the convention committee and found a great apartment just one tram stop from the convention center. (3) You'll meet a lot of people at F.I.S.M. and 98% of them are wonderful friendly people. There has to be one jerk in the crowd and I met him in the Netherlands. He was from England and incidently placed second in the F.I.S.M. competition. Good thing his skills in magic did not match the rudeness of this person. (4) Take some snacks along from your home country. The food was quite different for me and enjoyed having a snack from back home once in a while.
(5) The dealer's room is great. Don't spend all your money on that first day. You always find something you like better later in the convention. (6) I was told that the stage competition acts were not all that good before I attended F.I.S.M. Don't believe it. Most of the acts are of very good quality and I only saw a couple that I didn't really enjoy. I missed about twenty stage acts last year. Believe me, I won't miss a one this year. Plan on viewing both the stage and close-up competition because this is really where it is happening. (7.) The lectures did not turn me on that much. I usually see just as good lectures in my hometown.
(8.) Arrive at least a day or two early so you can rest up before the action begins. Once it begins, you are non-stop.
Hope these little tid-bits help.

Postby Guest » 05/19/06 04:17 PM

Regarding idea number one:

Since the magic bar will be taking place at Kulturhus (The Culture House), you may consider staying at the hotels that are in the center of the city instead of the hotel nearby the convention center. The magic bar will be at Kulturhus which is right in the center if the city, and nearby the hotels in the middle of the city.

Transporatation to the hotel nearby the convention center by train after 1 am is not good, during the week. The train ride between Central Station and Alvsj is about 9 minutes, with just about a 5 minute walk to the convention center from the train station. The last trains run until 1 am.

If you heed this advice, you'll find yourself saving a lot of money on taxi trips to and from the city in the middle of the night, when you are
closer to your destination in the city, after your visit to the Magic Bar, if you decide to go there. Also the night clubs are also right in the same neighborhood, too.

I myself wil be staying at a hotel in the city a bit further away, but will be able to take the bus
to the train station and then take the train to the convention center. so this will be very easy to do. There are travel passes that cover all the public transportation, as well (except the taxi).

Postby Guest » 06/23/06 06:37 PM

"There has to be one jerk in the crowd and I met him in the Netherlands. He was from England and incidently placed second in the F.I.S.M. competition. Good thing his skills in magic did not match the rudeness of this person."

This person is Nick Einhorn. He is nice and you may well have annoyed him. Maybe look inside yourslef for the answer.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 06/23/06 08:05 PM

This change in venues has been posted on the FISM website:
"All events that was to be held at Kulturhuset in Stockholm City has now been moved to other locations. The Bar Magic will now be at Hotel Sergel Plaza. Late Night Show will move to the congress venue. There will also be public daytime perfomances in Kungstrdgrden (the heart of Stockholm city)."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Return to Convention Room Mate Finder