New Web site QualityMagicBooks.com

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Postby Guest » 03/07/04 04:47 PM

Hello Magic Book Lovers!

About 18 months ago I started building my magic library. I wanted to build a good solid set of books that covered many aspects of magic, from cards, performance, history, mentalism, sleights, etc. This was to be a library that I could read, rather than one that I would just collect.

I found very little on the web that provided me with a comprehensive basis to make my decisions for which books to buy. I found myself talking to other experienced magicians, reading small lists here and there, reading this forum amongst other places and slowly but surely I managed to create a library that started to fulfill my requirements.

As a result of the lack of complete sources for magic books on the web I decided to build my own site:

QualityMagicBooks.com .

Naturally its not complete and I'm know I have a bunch more data to add, reviews, descriptions, etc. Plus of course more books to buy. But it now contains 375 books, over 1000 photos, and has some reviews.

I have tried to apply multiple categories to books, and provide all the basic book data: pages, publisher, date, size, etc.

As a starting point for any magician who is in the process of creating their own magic library I believe it fills a nice little gap on the web today.

Of course, I'll probably find now that there are all these sites out there that are just like it, but I have yet to find one.

Let me know your thoughts and any other ideas you have. If you want to post reviews of your favorite books feel free to do so. And any copy you have of missing descriptions will be welcome too!

Thanks

Andy Martin
QualityMagicBooks.com

Postby Richard Hatch » 03/07/04 05:04 PM

Wow! I like this site! Just a quick question: How are the links for buying the books determined?
Clicking on the "buy it" link for Derren Brown's PURE EFFECT, which we (H & R Magic Books) published takes you directly to a copy at our site (thanks!), but clicking on the "buy it" link for Derren Brown's ABSOLUTE MAGIC, which we also published, takes you to Elmwood magic's site. I don't have any problem with that, I hope Elmwood sells a bunch of all our books, I'm just curious as to how that works.
Thanks for putting up this great resource. Looking forward to watching it grow!
Richard Hatch

Postby Guest » 03/07/04 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Richard Hatch:
Wow! I like this site! Just a quick question: How are the links for buying the books determined?
Richard - I'm glad you like the site! You have a great name in the Magic Book world, so if you like it that bodes well for the site :-)

The "Buy This" link is somewhat random. Sometimes I will link to a site because I copied (with permission when I can find who to ask) the content from another site, sometimes i will link to a site because they have an affiliate program, sometimes I will link to a site because I like the site, and sometimes I won't link to a site because I can't find one!

As I began building this site and was looking for copy for each book I realised how often dealers copy from other places. Unfortunately, they don't tell you this, so you start copying from a dealer site, and then you find out later that in fact they copied from the publisher, or somewhere else. In the end I'm just trying to promote magic books, so hopefully everyone involved benefits. However, if I get the opportunity for some free books or credit by driving traffic to other sites I'm not going to turn that down either!

There is a lot of work involved in a site of this complexity and detail, so if I can recoup some of the time thats not a bad thing and it allows me to justify other website projects.

With regards to elmwoodmagic.com specifically they are actually one of my clients so giving them a bit of extra exposure is another way I try to help them out.

Hopefully this all makes sense, and in the end I just hope more magicians buy more books because I feel quite strongly that they are still the best way to learn to become a good magician.

Postby Bill Palmer » 03/07/04 10:37 PM

This is a nice site, all right. I noticed that when I clicked on the link to Borodin, Sheherazade came up. That was very good. But when I clicked on the link to Adesso Verlag, nothing else came up. It would have been nice if that had triggered a link to www.adessoverlag.com

But any publicity is better than none at all. So thanks very much for your hard work.
Bill Palmer, MIMC
Bill Palmer

Postby Guest » 03/07/04 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
This is a nice site, all right. I noticed that when I clicked on the link to Borodin, Sheherazade came up. That was very good. But when I clicked on the link to Adesso Verlag, nothing else came up. It would have been nice if that had triggered a link to www.adessoverlag.com

But any publicity is better than none at all. So thanks very much for your hard work.
Bill - the way it is designed is that you click on the Publisher link and it searches for other titles from the same publisher. Of course in the case there is just one book, it doesn't do a lot.

However, the Buy This link now goes to the page on your site advertising Sheherazade which is hopefully perfect for you and anyone wanting to buy the book!

Thanks for your nice comments.

andy

Return to Link Watch