Chris Angel Store

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Arthur Martello » 09/17/05 04:09 AM

After reading the wonderful article in Genii about Chris Angel (thank you Richard) I decided to go online and purchase his DVD as advertised in Genii. It is now almost 3 weeks after the date they told me it was mailed and still nothing!! Unfortunately, there is virtually no way of contacting the company because all you get is one of those stupid ticket ID numbers with the promise that you will be contacted by email. I have tried this 3 times without success. Has anyone else had a similar experience? This is a warning to anyone who decides to purchase anything from this web site. Full page ads in Genii does not make it reputable. Let the buyer beware!!!
Arthur Martello

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/17/05 11:21 AM

I've just e-mailed Criss about this and here's his reply:
"Due to the series scheduling conflicts, the DVDs have taken a bit longer to complete but will be out in 3 weeks at the latest. The DVD is cut and looks great and being authorized at this time. Sorry for the delay."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Arthur Martello » 09/17/05 01:43 PM

Thank you Richard. I appreciate your thoughtfullness, but the DVD I ordered is the "Masterminds" DVD and the message on the web site under my order says it was shipped on August 31. I'm not sure if this is the DVD Chris is referring to (I assume he means Mindfreak). Part of the problem is the inability to check on an order. The idea of getting a "ticket number" and then never receiving any explanation for the delay is a bit disconcerting. I wish that Chris would consider using a different form of marketing. This one is not working well (for me anyway). Had it not been for you and Genii I would still be in the dark. But perhaps I still am!!!
Arthur Martello

Postby Arthur Martello » 09/17/05 01:49 PM

I just went back to the web site and checked the description of the Masterminds DVD. I noted that it states that this item is available for pre order only. I believe that I was confused by the fact that my order form says it was shipped on August 31. Had it stated "pre ordered" etc. I would not have panicked.

I apologize to both Chris and Richard for my stupidity in not reading the fine lines. Mia Culpa!!

I still think there needs to be a better way to communicate than getting a ticket ID.
Arthur Martello

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/17/05 04:07 PM

Arthur, you are correct, there does need to be a better way to communicate. Selling things requires tip top customer service.
Criss is aware of all this, but he's been so busy with Mindfreak, including the filming of additional episodes, filming commercials for Pontiac, and so much other stuff (that can't be openly discussed yet), that he hasn't had time time to hire the people he needs to.
It will all be sorted out shortly.
He's a really nice guy, and the last thing he would want is for people to be dissatisfied with a transaction.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Arthur Martello » 09/18/05 05:42 AM

Well okay then! Case closed. Thank you again for being so kind to contact Chris and to sort out the problem. I certainly can understand the complexity of his situation....one of the hazzards of fame. I can only wish him great success and continued good luck in all of his projects. He does scare the crap out of me and my wife can't even watch some of the stuff he is doing. I feel for his poor mother and brother also.
In any event, thanks again for your help, excellent article on Chris and always wonderful magazine. It truly amazes me how you can maintain such a fantastic monthly. It remains the only magic magazine that I look forward to receiving. Keep it up!!!
Arthur Martello

Postby mop krayz » 09/21/05 09:03 AM

Coin in Soda Can will be ready before end of October. They are authoring it right now and will soon go into duplication.

there will soon be a masterminds #2, most probably by the end of the year!
mop krayz

Postby Guest » 09/26/05 10:52 AM

Folks, in all fairness, you can't expect Criss to release the product BEFORE the episode featuring it airs.

You're being held hostage to the whims of TV programming, but take heart, it's a temporary hostage crisis. Coin in Can is worth both the wait and every penny. It is, in fact, everything the ad describes. It's danged-near the perfect trick, and a definite magician-fooler.

I know this, because I've been performing it for several years. Ah well, another great idea out the window because someone decided to make a few bucks off of it.

Banzai

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 09/26/05 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Banzai:
...It's danged-near the perfect trick, and a definite magician-fooler.

I know this, because I've been performing it for several years. ...
How does this differ from the old Jennings coin into beercan?

* updated to ask:

Aside from the cover photo "inspired" by the cover of Maryln Manson's CD Mechanical Animals. I figure LJ would not have gone for a pose like that. ;)
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/26/05 12:07 PM

The Jennings trick required a slot cut into the side of the can. So, the can had to already be open and empty.
The new trick allows the spectator to give the magician ANY can. It's not prepared in ANY way. It's really amazing.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 09/26/05 12:27 PM

>>>How does this differ from the old Jennings coin into beercan?>>>

Unprepared can. Uprepared quarter. Unprepared sharpie.

The 'special something' is one of the coolest things ever. When I first came up with it, I fooled myself. It's that good.

Honestly, I HATE that someone else came up with it, too, and is marketing it.

Banzai

Postby Guest » 09/26/05 12:39 PM

Well, when I saw the demo of that trick, the second I saw it, the method to me was quite obvious...as there is ONLY one explanation..mind you an unprepared beercan, a borrowed coin, so there is only one way to *load* that coin into that can.. :D

Again -for those that didn't get it, let me point out, it can't be done with a halfdollar..
Also, the best venue to perform it might be in a pub, outside, or similar places, out of a pure *estetical* view, re spilling all that beer.

Not a trick for anybody to do...I can't imagine any performer wearing a tux in a high class restaurant would use it, on the street however it is OK... :p

Postby Guest » 09/26/05 12:41 PM

Forgot..a sideremark to Mr. Townsend :)
I wonder you didn't know LJ's method and I wonder you got fooled by that new method...where is your imagination :D

Postby Guest » 09/26/05 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Werner G. Seitz:
out, it can't be done with a halfdollar..
Also, the best venue to perform it might be in a pub, outside, or similar places, out of a pure *estetical* view, re spilling all that beer.

It can be done without a gusher of foam....or any foam at all, for that matter. Soda cans foam less, in general.

Banzai

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/26/05 05:51 PM

Let's have no cutesy posts where you almost give away the method, okay? It's a marketed effect and it hasn't even hit the street yet.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Pete Biro » 09/26/05 06:18 PM

I have seen the demo video and it is truly a killer effect.

Banzai... if you read this email me for an improvment on the finish.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 09/26/05 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Let's have no cutesy posts where you almost give away the method, okay? It's a marketed effect and it hasn't even hit the street yet.
Hmmmm...this raises an interesting ethical question. Since my version was created independently, let's just say for discussion's sake that I rushed my version to publication BEFORE Criss releases his. And at half the cost.

Technically, I'd be within my rights. A creator has no obligation to wait until a competitor's product is optimally ready for market.

Assuming the method is the same, which I'm assuming for discussion's sake that it is.

Banzai
PS...I'm not going to. I don't sell things I come up with. I perform them for money and reap the financial rewards that way.

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 09/26/05 08:43 PM

Hmmmm...this raises an interesting ethical question. Since my version was created independently, let's just say for discussion's sake that I rushed my version to publication BEFORE Criss releases his. ...
Strange as it may seem, I'm going to make a comment on this issue.

It is simply less than courteous to this community to do such a thing. And as guests on Richard Kaufman's BBS it awkward to do so and may irk our host(s).
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Guest » 09/27/05 07:03 AM

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
QUOTE]Strange as it may seem, I'm going to make a comment on this issue.

It is simply less than courteous to this community to do such a thing. And as guests on Richard Kaufman's BBS it awkward to do so and may irk our host(s).
>>>

You DID read the part about it being a hypothetical inasmuch as I said directly that it's something I'm not going to do, yes?

No, it goes more to creator's rights. For example, would it have been "less than courteous" for Losander to release for sale his floating table in order to get to market first when he found out that someone else was going to release a floating table using the same method?

Banzai

Postby Guest » 09/27/05 03:19 PM

Which came first... the chicken or the rubber chicken.

Postby Guest » 09/28/05 07:43 PM

Dear God in Heaven...HE DID IT WRONG!

WrongwrongwrongWRONG!

Why bother to pimp out a video when you perform it so badly that you damn-near EXPOSE it?

Banzai

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 09/29/05 08:45 AM

....Why bother to ...[sell] a video when you perform it so badly that you damn-near EXPOSE it?
Brings up some "interesting" questions since TV is the muggle's market.

Dear folks a XXX

Thanks for offering that cool trick on TV. I'd like to give it to my (nephew/niece/friend/child/aspiring houseplant) for (insert name of gifting occasion here).

Please send me 10 of them so I can be set for the (insert ...)

Thanks
encl(money)

If this is so, then we have an interesting leak from magicdom to muggledom.

* I posted this to open a discussion about what may be a novel situation. No comments about the performance or performer.

Comments?
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Return to General