Janick Simeray's True Levitation

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Postby Guest » 07/09/07 09:49 PM

Janick Simeray is a French engineer and inventor who's developing an incredible electromagnetic levitation technology. And it looks like he ain't messin' around with commercialization either.

According to a French magazine article on his website, we're looking at 80 for a basic globe floating thingie. That price point ought to get it in Sharper Image stores in a hurry.

Now, I don't know if it would be safe or even possible, but this could be a killer self-levy if scaled up for the stage. It's too bad that buzz is building so early though, as it sort of throws a wrench into Clarke's "sufficiently advanced" maxim.

No word yet on when it'll become available to the masses, but I guess we all knew this day would arrive. Did it have to come so soon?

Click here to watch video demo
Janick Simeray\'s website - video page

Moving eyeballs

Postby Guest » 07/10/07 06:51 AM

That is a very intresting video! I loved it. As for a ramped up stage version - I wouldn't expect that if it was safe that most people would be able to purchase one without taking out a new mortgage. Magnetism has been used for a while now with trains and experimented with in many differint applications. The bad news/ good news would seem to be that if you are levitating a small object someone might say "Oh, their using one of those magnetized things" - then you can show them that you aren't and they'll be left to contemplate other possibilities like "Oh, well they used a uh, a uh,...." Either way, I think there are sufficent ways to use this to our advantage. I have used the M5 for moving chicken bones in someone's hand, etc. and the only time I was busted is when I got cocky... pardon the pun. :p

Postby Guest » 07/10/07 06:58 AM

Much as I like the intent behind the toy, the inverse cube (non-linear) behavior of objects under magnetic influence pretty much tips the method unless you have something which can be set up static and somehow not also look like a big/heavy magnet is suspending a smaller flat and static magnet.

This is similar to how levitations using threads have to compensate for pendulum actions and levitations using air need to compensate for the effects of turbulence and limited floating area.

Hardly magic when common sense and familiar observation points to the perfect and correct answer.

Though this does suggest a fun way of performing a super-x type levitation where you wheel on a huge "magnetic" setup and do it as a science thing and then "accidentally" unplug the line supposedly powering the thing. ;)

Postby Guest » 07/10/07 11:33 AM

Sharper Image has been selling something like this (or someone has) for a decade. I remember simple maglev toys in the magic shop I used to freqent in the late 1980s.

Postby Guest » 07/10/07 12:21 PM

Bill,

Are you referring to the Levitron levitating tops? I have one of those. Simeray's device appears to be a completely different idea that's more akin to those actively stabilized two-pole servo based globe levitators you see everywhere. The difference is that there's no need for the second pole above the object.

There's a similar system shown here:

http://www.flyingmagnet.com/usindex2.html

Return to Link Watch