Monday Night Magic Moves!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Matthew Field » 01/22/02 11:22 AM

Monday Night Magic, the longest running magic show in New York City history, shared space for the last four years with The Fantasticks which ran for over 40 years at the Sullivan Street Playhouse but closed earlier this month. That meant a move for this magic show, which features a different line-up every week, and the new space is McGinn/Cazale Theatre, just above The Promenade theatre on Broadway at West 76th Street, where Ricky Jay held forth in his "52 Assistants" show several years ago.

The first show in the new theater featured the five producers of Monday Night Magic - Michael Chaut, Frank Brents, Jamy Ian Swiss, Peter Samelson and Todd Robbins. Each performed on the handsome stage which, unlike the Sullivan Street space, has no bad angles, and Mssrs. Swiss, Chaut and Brents also did close-up duties in various spots around the theater and its lobby. The audience had a great time, and so did I.

I'll have a full report in an upcoming Genii magazine (April, I believe) but I did want to record for this group the important magical milestone. It is a great show in a wonderful space, and if you're in New York you should definitely try to attend. Information is available on the website www.MondayNightMagic.com or by calling the group's hotline, (212) 615-6432.

Matthew Field
Matthew Field

Postby Guest » 01/22/02 06:42 PM

Matt,
I haven't been able to attend yet, but I've certainly enjoyed your reviews on TSD and the old GeMiNi.

I hope you can keep going to the new location so you can tell us what we've missed. It's almost as good as being there.

Jay

Return to General