Brown's Seance - UK TV

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby mrgoat » 06/03/04 03:36 AM

http://breakingnews.ie/2004/06/03/story150641.html

Note the people complaining were mainly from church groups and mainly complained BEFORE the show was aired.

Goatlad
mrgoat

Postby Guest » 06/04/04 02:46 AM

'twas quite good as a show.

It was less about the effects (a rather transparrent photo force, a ouija board which invited audience participation and a mock seance with a "possession" and floating objects) and more about showing how you can scare a set of relatively rational and intelligent people to their wits end with some parlour style hocus-pocus.

He explained many a thing as he went along (the photo force and the ouija "idiomotor effect")and clearly outlined from the begining it was an excercise in sceptsism.

Love the fact it got so many complaints - 3rd most in British television history.

Postby Guest » 06/04/04 04:19 AM

Originally posted by Beam Sturge:
a rather transparrent photo force
Actually, while the force was (with hindsight) obvious to most conjurors, I'd have thought that it would have appeared to be a free selection to most laymen.

And interestingly, two subjects didn't pick Jane. They must've failed to follow DB's instructions.

But that made it "better", less obviously a force.

Excellent programme!

Dave

Postby Guest » 06/05/04 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Dave Le Fevre:
Actually, while the force was (with hindsight) obvious to most conjurors, I'd have thought that it would have appeared to be a free selection to most laymen.
I thought that too till I went into work next day and heard a several people going "It was obvious you'd end up with her! He's a fake!" - which is rather a bizare thing to say seing as he ppointed out at the begining what he intended to do was fake a seance and then explained at the end how he'd forced the photo.

Postby Guest » 06/06/04 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Beam Sturge:
Originally posted by Dave Le Fevre:
I thought that too till I went into work next day and heard a several people going "It was obvious you'd end up with her! He's a fake!" - which is rather a bizare thing to say seing as he ppointed out at the begining what he intended to do was fake a seance and then explained at the end how he'd forced the photo.
That's fair comment. And a day or two after I'd posted that, my son and one of his friends were watching the programme (which I'd recorded), and at that point they both commented that it was obviously a force. So I stand corrected.

Dave

Return to Alternative Media