Turner Broadcasting

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby George Olson » 09/24/06 05:43 PM

I just spent a great hour and a half watching my all time favorite movie: The Manchurian Candidate with Sinatra et al. In one scene he asks janet Leigh (I think) to "pick a card" she picks a card -- the Queen of Diamonds -- he names it. She sez "How'd you do that," he spreads the pack and sez "It's a force deck, 52 of the same card." Near the conclusion he uses it again...

Just a neat minute...

GO

PS How come no hue and cry about exposure in 1958, maybe people had more important things to worry about -- say the Cold War.
George Olson

Postby Guest » 09/24/06 06:17 PM

Interesting that you mention the movie and that particular moment - Jack McMillen used it as the basis for his "talk lines" for Elmsley's "Diamond Cut Diamond". Unfortunately, the movie isn't as well known/remembered as it once was...

Best, PSC

Postby George Olson » 09/25/06 10:46 AM

The recent re-make, like most "second" trys was absolutely horrible, it missed the mind set of the Nation at that time.

I've used a similar thought with the Invisible Deck. (Only for foks that were around in the 50's.

GO
George Olson

Postby Terry » 09/25/06 05:11 PM

Doc Eason used a one way deck in the first performance tape he did for the Tower Bar.

Guess most people don't associate or care enough to think an entertainer may be using one. Guess entertainment is the difference
Terry

Return to Alternative Media