First Review of British Film "Magicians" Here

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 05/21/07 07:14 PM

Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 05/21/07 07:46 PM

Looks like it'll be good. I was confused a bit about the reference to the Mac vs. PC ads until I realized that they were referring to the UK version of them, rather than the US one . Shoulda realized that, considering it's a UK movie and a UK reviewer.

Any word on a US release for the movie? IMDB.com doesn't give any indication of it.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Guest » 05/22/07 12:20 AM

British reviews were not all as glowing although several did quite like it except The Times where it was drastically slated. I'd be interested in Guardian's opinion as film is a strength there.

Postby Guest » 05/22/07 12:24 AM

I cant wait to hear what you guys in the states make of this film.
The sense of humour is very british.

Postby Guest » 05/22/07 02:38 AM

Postby Guest » 05/22/07 05:24 AM

Thanks, Darren.

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 05/22/07 06:27 AM

I cant wait to hear what you guys in the states make of this film.
The sense of humour is very british.
Should be good then -- I like British humor (or humour, I suppose). While I'm not familiar with Mitchell & Webb, I'm a fan of Jessica Stevenson from the Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg/Nick Frost collaborations (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead -- still need to see Hot Fuzz, but I don't think she's in that one).

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Guest » 05/22/07 08:00 AM

Is there a release date for this film over here?

Postby Guest » 05/22/07 08:11 AM

The film is getting pretty bad reviews in the UK - which is a shame because the stars and writers involved are talented. You should check out their television comedy called 'Peep Show'. If you enjoyed 'The Office' then you will enjoy this. Brilliant writing.

Joe

Postby Guest » 05/30/07 01:23 AM

Whats interesting is, those writers with a bit of a magic background, are giving better reviews. I suspect that its a bit of an in joke movie, just for us :)

Return to Alternative Media